Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Tennessee > Nashville
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-16-2013, 11:32 PM

256 posts, read 482,248 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by RogueMom View Post
Who says they were the original residents?
Interesting angle RogueMom. Never looked at it that way before.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-19-2013, 04:17 AM

620 posts, read 1,198,606 times
Interactive map: 30 years of census data - The Washington Post

For the most part, yes. Although everything from granada to cahal West of Gallatin road gained black people and lost white people. The Western side of Cleveland/Mcferrin park gained black population, as did the projects and some parts of Shelby hills. Ironically all of these areas have gone through significant revitalization. I guess that means that a lot of poor whites have been pushed out and replaced by middle class blacks. So, instead of saying black people are getting pushed out it would be more correct to say poor people in general are being pushed out. (although the majority of neighboroods lost more blacks than whites)

Everything from Douglas to the freeway loop either gained blacks or lost more whites than black in effect getting "blacker". If I said that the blacks are simply beings pushed further "East" (geographically North) I would probably be correct. In 2000, the area between Douglas and Trinity lane was white (red), now its black (blue).

Old 12-19-2013, 08:05 AM

815 posts, read 2,018,076 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BayAreaDave View Post
Interactive map: 30 years of census data - The Washington Post

For the most part, yes. Although everything from granada to cahal West of Gallatin road gained black people and lost white people. The Western side of Cleveland/Mcferrin park gained black population, as did the projects and some parts of Shelby hills. Ironically all of these areas have gone through significant revitalization. I guess that means that a lot of poor whites have been pushed out and replaced by middle class blacks. So, instead of saying black people are getting pushed out it would be more correct to say poor people in general are being pushed out. (although the majority of neighboroods lost more blacks than whites)

Everything from Douglas to the freeway loop either gained blacks or lost more whites than black in effect getting "blacker". If I said that the blacks are simply beings pushed further "East" (geographically North) I would probably be correct. In 2000, the area between Douglas and Trinity lane was white (red), now its black (blue).
I really don't know how accurate those maps are, or what they really are based on. I was looking at some areas in Davidson County that are questionable. I do know that the areas between Douglas and Trinity has be a black area for several decades. Maplewood High school is the school zone for that area and it has been a majority black school since the 70's.

Old 12-19-2013, 11:22 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Antioch View Post
I really don't know how accurate those maps are, or what they really are based on. I was looking at some areas in Davidson County that are questionable. I do know that the areas between Douglas and Trinity has be a black area for several decades. Maplewood High school is the school zone for that area and it has been a majority black school since the 70's.
Well its based off the census, so its the most accurate information we have. I read somewhere that our public school system is something like 60% black, it obviously doesn't reflect Davidson County. It showed the sharp increase of the white population in the North and East sides of town and the increase in black population in Antioch and Madison. I haven't lived here long enough to know first hand but its consistent with what I have been told. What exactly looks questionable to you?

Old 12-19-2013, 05:39 PM

815 posts, read 2,018,076 times
Quote:
Well its based off the census, so its the most accurate information we have. I read somewhere that our public school system is something like 60% black, it obviously doesn't reflect Davidson County. It showed the sharp increase of the white population in the North and East sides of town and the increase in black population in Antioch and Madison. I haven't lived here long enough to know first hand but its consistent with what I have been told. What exactly looks questionable to you?
I guess its just the way its divided by districts is what makes it seem off, and how the percentages are based on population in a given area, meaning an area could have 4 people living in it with 3 being black and 1 white and it it would say that the area is 75% black, which would make you think that is a black area, boarding an area that has more people with a few more whites, using the percentages would make it seem like a white area... Example, district 33 in the Antioch area which is north of Murfeesboro Rd, east of Bell all the way up to the Mt. Juliet/Wilson County line north of the lake is shaded in blue with a higher percentage of blacks, which by looking at the map, one would think it is a black area, when in fact it is not. Lots of blacks in the area, may be a few more, but it would not be consider a black area, especially the area near Mt. Juliet north of the lake. The Davidson county districts boarding 33 are showing a higher percentage of whites, which it could be, however, the entire Antioch area seems about even. Another example would be the districts that are in Northern Davidson couty that includes Goodletsville, Joelton, and Whites Creek... They are shaded blue with a higher percent of blacks... the areas closer in to to town, particuarly Bordeux, Parkwood, areas just south of Whites Creek are black areas, however, areas north of Briley up to Joelton and Goodletsville are not, except for pockets close to Rivergate Mall.
As far as the schools, the school zones in the Northern/Northeastern part of Davidson County such as Whites Creek, Hunters Lane, Maplewood and Stratford have a higher black percentage, always have, except for Hunters Lane until recently due to bussing, so does Antioch and Cane Ridge clusters, and even the Hillboro Cluster in Green Hills actually has a slightly higher black percentage due to busing form nearby south Nashville. The white population is boosted in Metro Schools because the Kurdish, Arabic, and all Middle Eastern ethnicities are considered White as their race, tho they can be just as dark as an African American... Therefore schools such as Glencliff, Overton, Antioch and Cane Ridge that have a higher number of Kurds and Middle Easterns may apper on paper to have a lot more actual White students, but in reality the numbers of actual whites are much lower when you take out the Kurdish/Middle Eastern population.

Old 12-19-2013, 07:21 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Antioch View Post
I guess its just the way its divided by districts is what makes it seem off, and how the percentages are based on population in a given area, meaning an area could have 4 people living in it with 3 being black and 1 white and it it would say that the area is 75% black, which would make you think that is a black area, boarding an area that has more people with a few more whites, using the percentages would make it seem like a white area... Example, district 33 in the Antioch area which is north of Murfeesboro Rd, east of Bell all the way up to the Mt. Juliet/Wilson County line north of the lake is shaded in blue with a higher percentage of blacks, which by looking at the map, one would think it is a black area, when in fact it is not. Lots of blacks in the area, may be a few more, but it would not be consider a black area, especially the area near Mt. Juliet north of the lake. The Davidson county districts boarding 33 are showing a higher percentage of whites, which it could be, however, the entire Antioch area seems about even. Another example would be the districts that are in Northern Davidson couty that includes Goodletsville, Joelton, and Whites Creek... They are shaded blue with a higher percent of blacks... the areas closer in to to town, particuarly Bordeux, Parkwood, areas just south of Whites Creek are black areas, however, areas north of Briley up to Joelton and Goodletsville are not, except for pockets close to Rivergate Mall.
As far as the schools, the school zones in the Northern/Northeastern part of Davidson County such as Whites Creek, Hunters Lane, Maplewood and Stratford have a higher black percentage, always have, except for Hunters Lane until recently due to bussing, so does Antioch and Cane Ridge clusters, and even the Hillboro Cluster in Green Hills actually has a slightly higher black percentage due to busing form nearby south Nashville. The white population is boosted in Metro Schools because the Kurdish, Arabic, and all Middle Eastern ethnicities are considered White as their race, tho they can be just as dark as an African American... Therefore schools such as Glencliff, Overton, Antioch and Cane Ridge that have a higher number of Kurds and Middle Easterns may apper on paper to have a lot more actual White students, but in reality the numbers of actual whites are much lower when you take out the Kurdish/Middle Eastern population.

Interesting I didn't know we had such a significant middle eastern population. And if you zoom in far enough you get a way more detailed view of the map, and everything illustrates what you said accurately. You know your stuff lol...

Old 12-20-2013, 12:35 AM

659 posts, read 1,172,822 times
Quote:
Interesting I didn't know we had such a significant middle eastern population. And if you zoom in far enough you get a way more detailed view of the map, and everything illustrates what you said accurately. You know your stuff lol...
A very significant Middle Eastern and North African (Egyptian) population. Not to mention that often times ever increasing refugee population is miscounted or goes unaccounted for depending on the angle of the politics of the day.

Diversity is beautiful and increasingly abundant in Davidson County.
If this is problematic then consider crowded and fast growing Rutherford or over priced Williamson.

Old 12-22-2013, 12:14 PM

49,932 posts, read 59,935,627 times
Quote:
Interesting I didn't know we had such a significant middle eastern population.
Nashville has the largest Kurdish population in the US, and the foreign-born population over all tripled from 1990 to 2000.

What college to you go to?

Old 12-22-2013, 04:00 PM

73,009 posts, read 62,598,043 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by artemis View Post
Germantown got it's name from the immigrants who started living there back in the 1850's.

White people didn't move to Germantown when the blacks moved in, they moved to the suburbs.

Not sure if East Nashville should be called "historically" black. It was inhabited by white people for the first 100 yrs or so, before that the land belonged to the Indians. They were the ones who were truly displaced.
The term "historically Black", well this is how I look at it. Historically, Blacks have been considered "unwanted", and therefore, many places Blacks lived, they lived there because they weren't really welcomed elsewhere.

Old 12-22-2013, 04:20 PM

2,888 posts, read 6,741,656 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by green_mariner View Post
The term "historically Black", well this is how I look at it. Historically, Blacks have been considered "unwanted", and therefore, many places Blacks lived, they lived there because they weren't really welcomed elsewhere.
I was referring to the historical aspects of the neighborhood. Black, white or otherwise.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Tennessee > Nashville