Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Tennessee > Nashville
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-28-2012, 03:03 PM

15 posts, read 32,901 times

Advertisements

I just got back from Nashville where I accepted the job offer. It wasn't as much as I had hoped, but it's still more than what I'm earning in NYC, and the fact that there aren't any state / city taxes really helps.

I've narrowed down my apartment search to two locations, both near my office outside of the city. I did visit Velocity, Eleven North, and a few other places... they are all more my speed and I'd rather live there. However I just want to bank on some extra cash for a year, try to save and pay off a few CC's with all the extra money that's coming in.... Plus as it's been pointed out here I don't need to spring for Bottle Service anymore!

That said I'm down to two places, the Colonnade (4100 Central Pike, Hermitage, TN 37076) and The Hamptons at Woodland Pointe (1501 Woodland Pointe Drive, Nashville, TN 37214). Colonnade has a special corporate rate, so its by far the most affordable and biggest unit. Hamptons is about $100 more, and looks a little nicer online, but it seems to be in a odd place with nothing around it (no places to eat, shop, see a movie, etc). Everything else in their price range is smaller, more run down (based on what I see and read online), or is further way from the city and my job.

I don't mind hopping in my car and driving 15 minutes to go do something, I did it for 25 years in Florida. Having said that, does anyone know about these two spots and have a recommendation?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-29-2012, 10:17 AM

593 posts, read 1,357,296 times
I think you have a pretty good handle on it -- better complex vs. better location. The Hamptons at Woodland Pointe is a really nice complex in a mixed development with single-family houses and some townhomes, etc., but you're correct, it's isolated. I haven't been in Colonnade, I drive past it all the time, seems okay from the outside. Based solely on the complexes I'd prefer the Hamptons, but while you might be okay with driving 15 minutes to do something, driving 15 minutes to do anything might get old. The Colonnade location is very convenient to everyday shopping and not far from other restaurant/shopping zones.

Old 04-29-2012, 08:17 PM

39 posts, read 62,471 times
I recently moved to Nashville from New York for an IT job. I've been very happy with the choice, I've been able to go out whenever I want due to the low cost and have saved a little money on the side as well. I visited three times before making a choice and decided on living in East Nashville. I would be very careful with moving to an apartment complex here, lots of crime and poor management are some consistent complaints that you can read about on apartmentratings.com. I also hear these complaints first hand from friends and co-workers. Good luck with everything - you'll really love it here.

Old 04-30-2012, 08:18 AM

610 posts, read 1,625,762 times
Woodland Pointe is really nice. We looked there and ended up at Nipper's Corner-but that area may be too far to drive to work in Hermitage, based where you're located. It has a pool and some amenities, but yes, it's pretty much by itself. There is a grocery nearby, but it probably isn't that great. Whole Foods and Trader Joe's in Green Hills would be about 15-20 mins, if you don't get the notorious GH traffic.
I had to look up Colonnade, as I know nothing about Hermitage. If you're planning on going out a lot downtown, etc, WP seems closer of a drive. A taxi home should run you $15-20 from downtown.

Old 05-01-2012, 08:05 AM

1,001 posts, read 1,991,851 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BP300 View Post
So true. But, even if you drink, Nashville is boring compared to NYC. Bars close at 2:00am. Nightlife is limited to a few areas.
Bars closing at 2 am is not a deal breaker to about 98% of the population. When I was 22, perhaps but once you hit that quota of booze at around 26 the thing you look for is nice atmosphere, affordability and variety. NY has 2 of those Nashville has 3......

Old 05-01-2012, 10:46 AM

374 posts, read 694,090 times
Well, moving to Nashville for the nightlife is kinda like moving to NYC for the biscuits. Priorities are different for everyone and ideally they should evolve as you mature. Personally, I prefer biscuits to nightlife but if both disappeared tomorrow it wouldn't matter to me.

Old 05-01-2012, 04:53 PM

15 posts, read 32,901 times
As far as nightlife is concerned, yes you guys are both right.

I know it’s a very big change and people who are friends of friends (the only people I know in Nashville) have all told me as much. I walked around Broadway and 2nd last week on a Tuesday night… sure it was a Tuesday and not a Saturday night, but you could certainly tell the difference between Nashville and NYC. I didn’t have to dress up, getting into a bar wasn’t a problem, didn’t see a single girl in a bandage dress teetering on 6 inch heels. Everyone was friendly, drinking beer, and having a good time. It's a much smaller "Party District" but it's still fun. I’m not into country music, but I liked what I heard.

I had a hard time listing to someone say "NashVegas" with keeping a straight face though!

Having said all that, as much fun as the nightlife is in NYC, I’m 33 and I’m trying to be all responsible now. It would be nice to do this little thing called “saving”. Or “pay off my credit cards” including the bill from the Hamptons last year. Or maybe date a girl who doesn't model herself off of Carrie Bradshaw looking for a millionaire boyfriend.

The big bump in pay & bump from not paying any state income tax, plus the huge opportunity to join a major company that will look GREAT on my Resume… it’s all more attractive than the “Models & Bottles”.

My main concerns were where to live, and would it be too far away from everything? Would it be safe? After living in Miami I was really tired of the “Nightlife” and the “Drug Scene” being the same thing, and in NYC you didn’t see any of that unless you went looking for it… what would Nashville be like? From the feedback here and my visit I don’t have too much to worry about, although the number of car window break-in’s in Hermitage seem to be a concern online.

In a year or so I’ll have paid off enough and saved enough to get that nicer apartment in a more fun part of the city along with a car that might be fun to drive as opposed to the “A to B” ride I’m going to lease when I’m down there. Speaking of which, can anyone recommend a good Chevy dealer?

Last edited by JMT; 05-02-2012 at 12:41 PM.. Reason: Deleted the video which contained vulgar language.

Old 05-02-2012, 06:59 AM

610 posts, read 1,625,762 times
"NashVegas" is usually used in jest.
Well, good sounds like you're coming for the right reasons. I think you'll do just fine. I think Woodland Pointe would be very safe, not sure of the area in Hermitage-but I've never ventured into Hermitage.
As for Chevy dealer, we and our friends usually venture out of TN to get our cars. I'm not sure why, but they're cheaper in GA.
and the 2nd/Broadway thing is really touristy. Check out Whiskey Kitchen in the Gulch or head to Midtown-Broadway Brewhouse is a favorite. Major opposite of the Hamptons, though!

Old 05-02-2012, 08:26 AM

374 posts, read 694,090 times
I think the term "NashVegas" has been misappropriated these past few decades. It dates back to the '70s (?) and was originally intended to be a derogatory reference to the state of country music. Fans of traditional (hillbilly) music were bemoaning the Vegas-ification of the fare coming out of Nashville. What was once a legitimate folk genre had become another glitzy, over-produced, tacky form of disposable entertainment. Today commercial country sounds like commercial pop with a fiddle.

Old 05-02-2012, 12:53 PM

1,494 posts, read 2,724,127 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bryan1001 View Post
So a few things:

1) I know 2K in rent sounds like a large sum, but I don't need a car in NYC. So figure $800 - $900 for rent in TN, plus a car payment, insurance, gas money... I'm assuming $700 - $800 total. At the end of the day it's almost the same cost of living number. As much as I'd like to live in a place like "Velocity" the $1,600 monthly rent seems like a bit much. I've seen rents for a building called Eleven North at $1,200 on Craigslist.
The money you will be saving in state/local taxes will more than make up for having the new expense of a car.

You don't need to spend $1,600 at the Velocity- I would shop around more because money goes a lot farther here to get a nice apartment- nicer than what Manhattan has to offer and for less. There are nice places that offer 1brs for around $800-$1000. I went looking around Brentwood and Franklin and liked the Alara & Wyndchase properties. Once you shop around for an apartment you'll find that you can save a lot of money in rent and still have a nice pad; even the lower priced apartment complexes are worlds better/larger than what your 2k gets you in Manhattan.

Also the food costs are 40%-60% lower than Manhattan, depending on the item. Restaurants and drinks are also about half the price. Hubs and I went to Saffire in Franklin and were amazed at how cheap it was, but that's because we'd lived with Manhattan prices for so long.

Quote:
2) I guess that leads me to my 2nd question, what other areas would you recommend? Is there anything around Vandy I should check out? Hillsboro Village?
I've only explored Brentwood and Franklin but loved both very much, then again I'm married and looking to start a family. If you're young and single there might be areas more known for the single/nightlife vibe and I'm sure others can advise on that.

Quote:

I've also tired of the dating scene here. Sex & The City was the best and worst thing to happen to women in NYC. I'm hoping that Nashville would be a bit different.
I agree that SATC has caused a million shallow female gold-diggers to invade Manhattan with their Carrie dreamy-dreams. But goes hand-in-hand with a general influx of non-native douchebag hipsters. It makes it difficult to meet genuine people. I can't speak for what the dating scene is like, but I've found people here to be much more polite and down to earth, but they're NOT direct and err on the side of being polite.

Quote:
4) The move is more than just a money thing, although it's a part of it. It would be a major step forward career wise, and in a few years if I'm not happy I could always move on with a great name on my Resume.
Nashville is very different from NYC but it's still a great place. It has a little bit of everything like NYC only on a much smaller scale. The attitude and culture is completely different, it does't have as much of an international feel as NYC does but that's not necessarily a bad thing. There's good restaurants and ethnic shops to be enjoyed, but you have to be willing to hunt around and drive out to them. As long as you're not expecting a carbon copy of NYC and constantly make comparisons you'll probably do just fine
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2022 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Tennessee > Nashville