Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Tennessee > Nashville
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-08-2012, 06:06 PM

813 posts, read 2,031,382 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by N.Cal View Post
Which neighborhoods would that be?
Midtown/West End, Sylvan Park, Hillsboro Village and Green Hills since they are closest to where I live. But I also try to get to East Nashville and 12South as much as possible especially the former. I get to Germantown even less frequently, but I really enjoy that area as well.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-09-2012, 12:34 PM

4,344 posts, read 4,719,927 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ariesjow View Post
Midtown/West End, Sylvan Park, Hillsboro Village and Green Hills since they are closest to where I live. But I also try to get to East Nashville and 12South as much as possible especially the former. I get to Germantown even less frequently, but I really enjoy that area as well.
Thanks. Pretty much the places I've short-listed, though I've not been to Sylvan Park yet.

Old 05-09-2012, 12:51 PM

813 posts, read 2,031,382 times
I really enjoy Sylvan Park and think it's definitely work checking out. It's a very quaint area with a tiny commercial strip along Murphy Road, but I love walking the Richland Greenway and having a meal and a drink at McCabe's Pub or Local Taco across the street when I finish. I believe we saw either a whooping crane or a stork in Richland Creek the other day while walking the greenway.

Old 06-04-2012, 10:07 PM

15 posts, read 32,886 times
Just checking in to cap off this thread... I've been in Nashville for a little over a week now. So far I've enjoyed it, although when I saw how "rural" parts of town looked (like where I'm living in Hermitage) I did have a mild "Oh My God" moment.

Now that I've had the chance to settle in and explore the area I'm happy with my choice. My apartment, especially for the money, is great. One exit down on 40 in Mt. Juliet there is just about every restaurant you could want to eat at, 2 grocery stores (including Publix which I've missed), a movie theater and plenty of other shopping. And in the other direction there is more of the same. My office is less than a mile from my apartment in Hermitage which makes the commute extremely pleasant. And Nashville itself is less than 15 minutes away on the expressway, which means the nightlife isn’t that far away.

People are nice to the point of being ridiculous. I was being a tourist and hit up Pancake Pantry the first weekend I was here (and the line wasn’t that long). In the parking lot someone just handed me their parking meter stub with 3 hours paid up since "they didn't need it". People stop you on the street to say Hello. 12 South reminded me of a nice stretch of road in Brooklyn or SoHo, with cute stores, independent coffee shops, and a fun bar…it’s nowhere near the same in scale, but it was nice. I have seen some “blighted” areas no different than any other city, but overall it seems like things are going in the right direction.

I do miss New York, but I'm pretty happy here so far.

Old 06-16-2012, 12:43 PM

1 posts, read 1,162 times
Just stumbled across this thread and wanted to throw you my two cents:

I moved here six months ago - from spending years abroad and after living in NY for college. No, the culture's not quite at the level you'd hope for, nor the diversity, but Nashville's certainly got its perks. Music (not just country), cost of living, nightlife and restaurants, friendliness, etc....

I ultimately landed in a condo downtown because I was unable to give up even a semblance of urban living. I pay too much, but the office is five minutes away and my friends are even closer. I'll be honest - there are moments where I want to pull my hair out: I sometimes wonder if I'm the only female in the city that hasn't been married/divorced/popped out multiple children at the ripe old age of 28. But then I grab drinks with new-found friends and realize that a TON of people have just relocated with similar backgrounds looking for like-minded people and activities. (I didn't know a soul when I moved here).

You will eventually start feeling the wear of being "all the way out" in Hermitage - it'll be more difficult to establish a circle of friends, but I highly recommend checking out Meetup.com. Through a few events, I found like-minded non-southerners (nothing against southerners!) that are fast becoming some of my closest friends. The events also give you an opportunity to explore some really cool local places/venues.

+ points:

- The music scene is awesome - take advantage of it.
- there are countless unique restaurants.
- outdoorsy stuff is really nice in TN - kayaking / hiking
- BEWARE of anyone that says "God bless your heart" (it's not a statement of sympathy!)
- there are approximately 4 taxis in Nashville
- Downtown is NOT where Nashville nightlife occurs
- beer isn't sold until after noon on sundays, and liquor not at all, and not in grocery stores.
- people don't use blinkers and make left turns from the right hand lane.

A colleague of mine grew up in South Beach and he loves it here - Nashville is what you make of it!

Please feel free to PM if you need any advice, feedback, etc. !

Old 06-20-2012, 02:58 PM

86 posts, read 210,783 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bryan1001 View Post
Speaking of which, can anyone recommend a good Chevy dealer?
I've had nothing but good experiences with Tom Bannen Chevy, near the Rivergate Mall to the north. I didn't buy my car there, but I've had it there a couple times for warranty repairs, and their service department is top notch. They're expanding their showroom right now, so obviously they're doing something right. It might be a bit further away then Carl Black or Beaman, but I'd definitely recommend them.

Old 09-13-2012, 07:43 AM

4 posts, read 6,814 times
Default Colonnade???

Bryan

I know I am a little late and I will also be looking at the Colonnade. How do you like it so far? Crime? Noise?

Old 09-13-2012, 10:21 AM

297 posts, read 1,078,632 times
Agree with Cucchiaio. Finding non-Southerners is the only way a New Yorker can enjoy life in Nashville.

Old 09-13-2012, 07:28 PM

3,043 posts, read 3,311,876 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BP300 View Post
Agree with Cucchiaio. Finding non-Southerners is the only way a New Yorker can enjoy life in Nashville.

Because of all the company relocations, it should be easy to find non-natives.

Old 09-14-2012, 09:12 AM

940 posts, read 1,902,144 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BP300 View Post
BP is so, so attuned to the diversity thing, NOT. Some types of people, ya know from some parts of the world, they're just so un-enjoyable.

Hey BP do you hang down in the southern areas of Nashville, Antioch and such? Lots of non-southerners there, e.g. from other countries! The best way for a New Yorker to enjoy Nashville I hear.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Tennessee > Nashville