Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Tennessee > Nashville
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-23-2012, 07:18 AM

610 posts, read 1,623,845 times

Advertisements

I have family on Oahu, and have visited several times. Since it's home for you, you'll definitely experience a culture shock. Oahu is commuter dependent, like Nashville, so the transportation thing is a plus.
Weather will be vastly different. I last was in Oahu for Christmas 2010. Crazy to go to the beach and surf on Christmas Eve, and fly into snow on Christmas Day in Nashville...new clothes are a must
Since you're renting, that's good you can get a feel of Nashville before committing to buy in a certain area. For your transition period, I like to recommend Nipper's Corner area apartment for several reasons 1.) accessiblity to downtown Nashville and Franklin. 2.) can get a 1-2 bedroom apartment for less than $1K 3.) You actually can walk on Edmonson Pike to the grocery, Starbuck's, and Sweet CeCe's-I took advantage of this when my car was in the shop. 4.)Clean and safe and a pool might help alleviate missing the beach-apartments to check out are Arbors, Preserve, Brentwood Downs, Player's Club, Keystone Farms. Hickory Point on Old Hickory Blvd is nice as well, but harder to find via Google.
The area is zoned for Granbery Elementary-which is a good school up to 5th grade, so you would have a while with a child before worrying about middle/high school-Nashville schools are awful.
Loko moko is one of my favorite things ever, and you won't find much authentic HI fare over here, but restaurants like PM do a pretty good imitation of chicken katsu and Tavern has loko moko. But I'm sure you're coming for our food, not yours ;-)
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-24-2012, 10:13 PM

5 posts, read 7,073 times
Thanks to everyone. I really value the input!

Old 05-24-2012, 07:01 AM

1 posts, read 656 times
what is the biggest difference between Hendersonville and Mt. Juliette. I have spent some time looking for houses on the lake in Hendersonville but now my wife wants to look at MTJ. It seems like MTJ is more rural maybe? Hendersonville has some nice new businesses on Indian Lake. Is there anything like that area in MTJ?

Old 05-24-2012, 08:11 AM

1,432 posts, read 3,843,506 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by chris0832 View Post
what is the biggest difference between Hendersonville and Mt. Juliette. I have spent some time looking for houses on the lake in Hendersonville but now my wife wants to look at MTJ. It seems like MTJ is more rural maybe? Hendersonville has some nice new businesses on Indian Lake. Is there anything like that area in MTJ?
The cities are very similar. For shopping, Hendersonville has Indian Lake, Mt. Juliet has Providence. Hendersonville has Glenbrook, Mt. Juliet has the Paddocks. They offer the same types of stores.

Both cities also added about 10,000 people in the period between 2000 and 2010. However, Hendersonville is over twice as large as Mount Juliet so I think Mount Juliet has experienced more growing pains but they seem to be doing a good job now of keeping up with the infrastructure.

The median home price is about 7k more in Hendersonville.

I'd give Hendersonville a slight edge in the schools due to the fact that it offers a Magnet k-12 option (Merrol Hyde) which is rated #3 in the state and will start an IB program (at Beech) in the 2013-2014 school year.

If you're main attraction is the lake, I would lean toward Hendersonville as the lake is much more a part of the city than it is in Mount Juliet, other than that I don't think you can go wrong with either choice.

Last edited by vivelafrance; 05-24-2012 at 08:21 AM..

Old 05-24-2012, 10:52 AM

3,828 posts, read 8,471,263 times
Agreed with vive 100%. I'll also add that one thing in MtJ's favor is that it has access to 2 lakes: Old Hickory (same as Hendersonville) but also J. Percy Priest. Priest Lake is a little bit further than Old Hickory, but if you're wanting a little more lake diversity that might be something to consider.

Old 05-24-2012, 01:02 PM

593 posts, read 1,355,807 times
^ What they said for the most part.

They finally finished the Mt. Juliet Road widening, thank goodness. That will help the north side of town, which has a lot of nice residential areas but saw most of the retail go to the Providence/Paddocks/I-40 area in the last five years.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Tennessee > Nashville