Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Tennessee > Nashville
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-24-2012, 12:26 AM

3 posts, read 11,837 times

Advertisements

Friends,

First, I should tell you a little about myself. I am 27 years old, happily married to my wife of five years, with a one year old, brilliant son. My wife has a great job at Vanderbilt and I am going to school full-time as a traditional student at Belmont University. We are both originally from small town Minnesota, but we have lived in North Carolina ever since I was stationed there at Fort Bragg. I was in the 1-508th Parachute Infantry Regiment and deployed in support of OEF '07-'08. We are freedom-minded and taking our first steps into off-grid living.

I have researched everything we will need but the most important thing: land. Our lease here at our apartment will be up in September, so there will be plenty of time to look around during the summer. We do not know anything about the area or even where to start.

We would like a small plot of land, 1-5 acres, maybe more, somewhere that allows us to live in a 8'x32' travel trailer. We are not currently planning on putting anything permanent on the ground, but we will be living here for a couple years at least - we have not really decided how long. Ideally, we would like to be within a 30-45 minute driving distance to downtown Nashville, where we work/go to school. We want to live close to a welcoming community full of close-knit, family oriented people, but out of the way and in the country. The bottom line is conforming with regulations I suppose, and that is where I need the most help.

I would love to hear other's stories about similar circumstances and any help or advice from locals or experienced members.

Best Wishes,
Mitch

Last edited by MyOwnHome; 04-24-2012 at 12:35 AM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-24-2012, 05:57 AM

49,927 posts, read 59,935,627 times
This will be a challenge. Land prices will be your first obstacle.

My first thought is Cheatham County, which is the least developed in the ring of counties around Nashville. 80% of residents there commute out of Cheatham County to work. But it also has a history of being a fairly closed-off community with a lot of the land owned by the same longtime families who may or may not be welcoming to outsiders.

The Nashville metro area is expected to gain 1 million more people in the next 25 years, and land is being developed rapidly with this in mind. IMHO, you will have to drive longer and buy more acreage to accomplish your goal.

Also, you should read through this thread first:

//www.city-data.com/forum/tenne...tennessee.html

Old 04-24-2012, 08:03 AM

Thanks, Wmsn4Life. I understand about it being closed-off. We are optimistic about finding something, but we do not necessarily mind a longer commute. I am going to start reading that thread. Thanks again!

Old 04-24-2012, 10:28 AM

I just put my son down for a nap, so I thought I would give some more info on our plans. I also just started reading that thread - wow! It is beautiful. What a view! We are preparing for the day when we can do something like that; after I have earned my degree we will be a little more free.

While my wife does not seem to have a problem with paying a lot for land, it is a little more than I expected. Oh well. I will look at it like a small investment.

We are getting a travel trailer to save money. After we have saved up enough money, we may move and build something more permanent. What we can do now is set up a rain-water collection system and a photo-voltaic system - pretty much immediately. Of course we will have a generator, and I have half-a-dozen 5-gallon water containers to tide us over until things are running. I am interested in whether this area still allow outhouses, too. Our order of priorities is land, shelter, water, electricity, heat. I know the county is generally concerned with waste management, so that will automatically be first, too.

I am wondering what the regulations are in Cheatham County. I am going to compile information on all the surrounding counties, starting with Cheatham. Are there other good counties or any that are a waste of time? Specifically, I am looking for a place that allows travel trailers. We will be in the country - that goes without saying - so it falls to the county's laws, I believe.

Old 04-24-2012, 12:36 PM

I know other folks will chime in as they are able, but while I'm here I will try to add some direction to your search.

I would avoid Williamson, Sumner and Rutherford counties. Land will be the most expensive there because they are the most "in demand" areas. They also are in the opposite direction from Vanderbilt and automatically add to the commute.

I guess that leaves Hickman, Robertson and Cheatham counties.

You are going to have to seriously research the outhouse issue. The state has a groundwater protection act that governs sewage. TDEC takes it very seriously, and that's before you get to the county level. There are compostable toilets etc and outhouses that have holding tanks, but I believe you have to have septic to do those. I guess narrow down a county, then inquire at the county health dept.

The travel trailer thing may be an issue, but you won't know until you pinpoint an area. One thing I do know: Modular homes (double wide) are better protected from "discriminatory" zoning than travel trailers. I know trailers are cheaper, but they along with single-width mobile homes can be prohibited legally, while modular housing has a powerful lobby that basically places it on the same level (in your local planning and codes office) as a site-built home. Perhaps look into options there.

Not trying to be a naysayer, really, just wanting to prevent potentially expensive mistakes. I do appreciate that you want to do things right on the front end.

Old 04-24-2012, 01:04 PM

3,828 posts, read 8,471,263 times
Wmsn has given some great advice...far more thought out than mine will be.

I would echo the thoughts on Cheatham County but would also tell you to look at Robertson as well. This may be a stretch...but you might also find a diamond in the rough in northwestern Davidson county around the Joelton/Whites Creek area...but my guess is that would be a big stretch.

As Wmsn mentioned, the dilmena is land prices and availability. Typically the northwestern part of Davidson, Cheatham, and Robertson Counties have been predominantly rural but are still very close to Nashville proper. Pushing your search out further will yield more land but a much longer commute. Dickson County could be an option as might parts of rural Montgomery County.

If you're committed to the lifestyle then I'm certain you can find it. It might take a little creativity and a bit of good luck!

Old 04-24-2012, 04:46 PM

1,325 posts, read 4,197,167 times
You might also want to check out the eastern half of Wilson County, as there are some rural areas. Even a touch into Smith County (but close to the Wilson County line) has opportunities. Both have easy access to I-40.

Old 04-24-2012, 05:39 PM

3,760 posts, read 7,089,772 times
I have a friend who lives pretty much off the grid in Australia on about 40 acres. He purchased a beautiful old Queenslander house (porch running around 3 of the 4 sides), had it cut in half, and moved to the top of a hill on his 40 acres. Researched getting electricity but it was going to cost $20,000 to run the line. ODDLY ENOUGH, the phone company ran a phone line for free!!!

They have a self composting toilet. Every couple of months you replace this container that seems to be filled with sawdust like material which you can compost a couple of months for a garden. It was kinda weird not to have a flush toilet but there was absolutely no smell.

What is your budget for the land? I looked at Real Tracs and there's lots of land tracks for sale . . but you'd have to check to see what's in your budget:

RealTracs Real Estate Mid-South Property Finder

Just put in how many acres you want OR how much you want to spend. I did look at Cheatham County but most of the lots look pretty flat. Maybe that doesn't matter to you? I'd LOVE to live off the grid (I say that now, but I really think I would . . . )

Let us know how it goes! You can google building codes for any county or just call the county clerk's office and they should be able to tell you what the laws are.

Old 04-24-2012, 10:17 PM

55 posts, read 80,872 times
IMHO too soon for that direction. Stay in your rental close to your wife's job (current breadwinner..top priority). Focus on priorities now. Plenty of time in the future to get into purchasing property. Things change fast in your age brackets and family situation.

Old 04-25-2012, 07:17 AM

On one hand, I agree with this, but on the other hand, once the 1-year-old hits school age I would not want to be that isolated.

If the OP is considering true, off-grid living, they probably will want to home school, but access to kid stuff, from recreation to physicians, becomes very important as the children get older. So now might be the time to try it.

Now, or wait until they are empty-nesters!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Tennessee > Nashville