Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Tennessee > Nashville
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 05-03-2012, 09:45 AM

3,760 posts, read 7,089,032 times

Advertisements

I understand this is going to be a big tick season? At least the cicadas are gone . .

One friend who does a lot of hiking said the best repellent is Cutter "Back Woods" with 23% DEET. And I read that one way to get a tick off your body is to use a strip of duct tape, place it over the tick and yank it off.

What can you do about ticks on pets? Is there anything you can spray the yard with? Are there collars? Can you spray the pet with some sort of Doggy Tick Away Spray?

New thing for me, these ticks here in TN. Any help/suggestions most appreciated.

My garden never really was my friend (I like looking at it but I'm not really a born gardener) but now? It's a force to be reckoned with!!!!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-03-2012, 10:13 AM

49,932 posts, read 59,927,052 times
I spray with Cutter anytime I'm going to be in grass (i.e. yardwork or watching kids' sports) or working under trees or in shrubbery. Be especially careful to spray around areas where, ahem, elastic meets your skin, your waistline and under your socks. I also spray my socks and shoes after I put them on.

Wearing light-colored clothing helps you see ticks if one is crawling on you (before it latches on).

Haven't tried the duct tape thing, though it sounds like it would also serve as a poor-man's waxing treatment! Talk about killing two birds with one stone!

We use Advantage on our dog. It's a once-a-month treatment. She runs all over our 1.3 acres and never gets fleas or ticks.

In the past, when we had TruGreen taking care of our lawn we had them do a flea and tick treatment one summer and did notice a great difference, but it was $$. Maybe $150+ for over 1 acre (previous house). I have not tried a DIY yard spray, but I would imagine there is a good one out there.

I can believe that ticks will be bad this year because honeysuckle and poison ivy have been popping up in places I haven't seen them before. The winter just wasn't cold enough to kill them off!

Old 05-03-2012, 02:37 PM

374 posts, read 693,262 times
Last year I researched the heck out of chiggers and learned they don't become active till temps reach a consistent over-60 range. Which is now. Run for your life! Or at least some DEET.

Old 05-03-2012, 03:15 PM

147 posts, read 334,388 times
Take a shower as soon as you get in from working outside. Will help with washing them off before they get embedded in your skin

Old 05-06-2012, 07:17 AM

1,364 posts, read 4,279,929 times
Check your lawn & garden store. I know there is something you can spread on your lawns and also a product you can spray using your hose to help with ticks.

Old 05-06-2012, 10:35 AM

643 posts, read 2,385,413 times
If you're concerned about ticks on your own property you can keep a flock of guineas which will eat them.

Old 05-15-2012, 11:38 AM

19 posts, read 43,238 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by md21722 View Post
If you're concerned about ticks on your own property you can keep a flock of guineas which will eat them.

haha! I love this solution! All the local Home Owner's Associations will love the flocks for guineas running around Brentwood 'burbs.

Here are a few thoughts on what you can try for your yard and ticks -

If you're less concerned about chemicals and looking for a fertilizer bomb to go with your pest control - you could try something like Scott's Super Turf Builder, which includes active ingredients to control pests (e.g. ants, ticks, fleas, spiders, etc.). It's definitely not organic, so take that with a grain of salt -

For a more organic approach, you could try a product like Diatomaceous Earth, which is a natural product composed of the processed shells of diatems (tiny sea creatures) - or fossil shell flour, if you will.

So - it's a powdery substance that's used in several applications such as pool cleaning and pest control (some people use it as a digestible treatment for self-purging/cleaning out the tracts). Keep in mind, the pool format of DE is different from the digestible, food product. I personally would recommend the food grade form, which is non-toxic.

Anyhow - DE can be spread on your yards and/or garden using a yard dust spreader. The way it works is by basically scratching the eggs of unhatched pests and/or scratching the exo-skeletons of existing pests when they come into contact with the substance in your yard. Once scratched, the eggs and/or existing exo-skeleton of hatched pests dehydrate and die. This method also has the advantage over chemical treatments of never giving the pests a chance to build immunity to what your spraying on them, which often happens over time with fertilizers and sprays.

Some tips about using DE --

Be SURE to wear a breathing filter, even if it's just a bandana covering your mouth (although I'd recommend something more industrial grade, even if it makes you look like Darth Vader while working in your yard). Since this is a silcon base product, it can cause damage to your lunges over time with certain quantities being inhaled. Also, wear gloves and eye-protectors of some sort.

To put it on your yard - wait until there has been no rain for a day or two and will likely be no rain for a day after you spread it. Use a yard duster to apply it evenly. Keep your children and pets off the yard for a day. Then, after a day or so, apply water to the yard to wet it down, after which point it should be safe for the kids to play on.

I'd recommend doing your own search on the internet about using DE if you have any questions or are interested in finding a vendor from which to make a purchase. It comes in 50lbs bags, so you can load-up on it.

One other note - it's usually best to treat pets at the same time you treat your yard (and the inside of your house if that's a problem area) to be sure you get all pest areas at once. DE is actually recommend for pet fur as well -- the steps include brushing the power into the fur but be sure to research that if you're interested.

The last things I'll add -- I've read that one recommended follow-up to using DE on your yard is to also apply beneficial nematodes, which is a parasite that feeds on flea and tick larvae, grubs, termites, and a whole host of other vermin (nice to turn the tables on them, isn't it?). Nematodes can be purchased online at places like arbico-organics. Once the food supply of larvae are gone, the nematodes die-off, so you'll have to reapply - usually once a year and possibly more if the tick and flea season is especially bad.

OK - so I hope that helps.

NOTE: I'm not a professional with any of what I listed above. You should do your own research and use the tips above at your own discretion and at your own risk.

Old 05-15-2012, 03:33 PM

91 posts, read 203,022 times
Excellent write-up on DE. I considered suggesting it, but didn't think I could recommend it properly. You've done an excellent job of it, however.

To follow up the DE suggestion look for Neem oil too. It can be applied to pets and is a deterrent to ticks and fleas. It can be used multiple ways. I'm not nearly as good at explaining as the above poster, but do your research and consider trying the DE and neem oil. It should make for a problem free year.

Old 05-15-2012, 04:28 PM

3,760 posts, read 7,089,032 times
Just had to mention I had my SECOND tick of the season. Both have been after a visit to Lowe's Garden Section. For what that is worth. Next time I go digging around in their plants I'm gonna spray myself first!

Thanks for the info on DE . . gotta take it all in . . . .!!

Old 05-19-2012, 07:06 AM

1,364 posts, read 4,279,929 times
OK, note to self: be careful at Lowe's
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Tennessee > Nashville
View detailed profiles of: