U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Covid-19 Information Page
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Tennessee > Nashville
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-18-2007, 07:33 PM

7 posts, read 35,785 times

Advertisements

My husband and I will be relocating to the Nashville area once I finish up my master's degree in May. His dream is to become a firefighter, however, we're having difficulty finding information on hiring procedures for some of the fire departments in and around Nashville. Does anyone know if any of these departments are planning on recruiting in the near future? My husband would be willing to move out early if necessary. Thanks for the help!
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-18-2007, 08:09 PM

120 posts, read 429,448 times
Good luck! Metro Fire Department RARELY hires. They have a rather large waiting list too! I can ask my FFIL (he's a retired ffighter and still very active in the dept) to make sure, but they just recently hired a few for the dept and may hire again soon. But, like I said, they have a waiting list.

Does he have any fire fighting/EMT experience? That may help, I'm not sure!

He can also try: Wilson, Williamson and Rutherford Counties!

Old 09-19-2007, 09:01 AM

31 posts, read 129,449 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mhoddi View Post
My husband and I will be relocating to the Nashville area once I finish up my master's degree in May. His dream is to become a firefighter, however, we're having difficulty finding information on hiring procedures for some of the fire departments in and around Nashville. Does anyone know if any of these departments are planning on recruiting in the near future? My husband would be willing to move out early if necessary. Thanks for the help!
go to Nashville.gov - Metropolitan Government of Nashville and Davidson County click on metro jobs, click on job descriptions, click on page 8

Old 09-20-2007, 09:17 AM

120 posts, read 429,448 times
Nashville.gov - HR and Benefits

I don't see FF on the list of openings, so I don't think they're hiring at the moment.

The surrounding counties may be his best bet!

Old 09-20-2007, 03:50 PM

31 posts, read 148,700 times
Smile Williamson County Fire Departments

You can try contacting the following fire departments in Williamson County, which is directly south of Davidson County (Nashville).

Brentwood Fire Department (http://www.brentwood-tn.org/Departments/fire/Index.htm - broken link) - Under 'Employment,' it says "The Brentwood Fire Department is looking for men and women who want a challenging and rewarding lifetime career. If you are physically fit, have 60 semester hours of college credits (or 30 semester hours and 2 years paid firefighting experience), like working with people, and want a career you can be proud of, then the Brentwood Fire Department wants to hear from you."

Franklin Fire Department - Doesn't appear to be hiring.

Fairview Fire Department (http://www.fairview-tn.org/fire.htm - broken link) - Doesn't appear to be hiring, either.

Although the Metro Nashville, Franklin, and Fairview Fire Departments don't seem like they're hiring, it's always worth a try to just e-mail or call them... You never know when the last time the website was updated.

Last edited by TNSoundsGood2Me; 09-20-2007 at 04:00 PM..

Old 09-20-2007, 03:54 PM

15 posts, read 51,489 times
My Husband is a firefighter in Spring Hill. He's currently on his 24 hour shift. I'll ask him tomorrow about the job situation. We moved her from New Jersey in January and love it.

Old 09-21-2007, 01:20 PM

15 posts, read 51,489 times
Hi,
This is the husband /firefighter. I was a volunteer FF since 1989 in New Jersey. I decided NJ was too expensive and I was tired of working in todays corporate america.
I decided to try and find a job as a FF in a less expensive part of the country(This was in Oct. 2005) Nashville area fit the bill. there are many paid fire depts in the Nashville area. You can look at the city websites for each individual city in the employment page or some cities you have to click on fire Dept link and find the employment link there.( I'll put together a bunch of these for you). you constantly have to check these sites for job postings. You can also look at firehouse.com or 911hotjobs.com to find some departments advertising for firefighters.

I have a 4yr degree, many years experience, I have many fire certifications like FFI,incident command,hazmat, vehicle extrication, fire inspector, national register emergency medical technician.( not everyone has all of this but it does help.)

I found typically that depts give applicants a score based on credit hours of college, FFI, EMT-medical training. Next they tell you when to come and test. Some do a written test and if you pass you get to physical test(usually immediately after the written test) and I always got an immediate sitting with the interview board as I was from far away and flew in just to test and had a flight to catch.

I would get an EMT certification and if you really want to have a leg up on the competiton become a paramedic. You could join a volunteer fire dept in the mean time and get some free training and experience. Here in Spring Hill, the Fire Dept uses Rural/Metro ambulance company. If you got an EMT job with them you would work 24hrs on and 48hours off and stay in the station with the firefighters and you would know exactly when the dept was going to test and the Dept would already know you.

If you have any more questions please let me know.

Here are some Links: Murfreesboro Fire Department (http://www.murfreesborotn.gov/government/fire/fire_index.htm - broken link)
HFD Home Page
Lebanon.org - The Best Lebanon Resources and Information. This website is for sale!
www.columbiatn.com/fireweb/cfd.htm/ (broken link)
City of Brentwood - Fire Department (http://www.brentwood-tn.org/departments/fire/index.htm - broken link)
City of Goodlettsville (http://www.cityofgoodlettsville.org/fire - broken link)
Cookeville Fire Department - Cookeville Fire Department
www.springhilltn.org/fire.htm
Maury County Fire Department = Volunteer

Old 09-21-2007, 08:17 PM

16 posts, read 73,444 times
I just heard last night that Smyrna is hiring upwards of 30 new firefighters this year. You might want to check out Rutherford County.

Town of Smyrna: Fire Department (http://www.townofsmyrna.org/fire/index.htm - broken link)

Old 09-22-2007, 08:30 AM

7 posts, read 35,785 times
Default Thanks!

Thanks so much for all of the insights and help. We're looking forward to the move and have our fingers crossed that my husband will be hired on somewhere! If you can think of anything else or hear of other departments planning on hiring we'd love to know about it. Thanks again!

Old 09-28-2007, 10:44 PM

13 posts, read 57,597 times
Nashvile took applications for fire recruit back in the spring, from March 19 through April 13 if I remember correctly. If you didn't apply during that time, you won't be applying for at least 3 years. The Civil Service Board has just recently certified the newest "list". It's good for 3 years. They're currently interviewing, but like I said, if you're not on the list now, you won't be for at least 3 years. Anyone that gets hired during that period has to be on the list. That's just for Fire Recruit though, applications for EMS are taken on a continuous basis, or at least they were! I can also tell you that Smyrna has recently taken applications, so the chances of hiring on with Smyrna for a while may be slim. My advice is just keep looking, something will turn up sooner or later.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Tennessee > Nashville