Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Tennessee > Nashville
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 05-08-2012, 07:45 AM

1 posts, read 4,706 times

Advertisements

Eight months ago we moved to the Bowling Green Area (for work) from Atlanta where our 12 year old was enrolled in The Howard School, a K-12 Private School dedicated to children with language learning disabilities. While our son's disibility is not sever, he suffers from OCD, creating a very high anxiety child who does really well in the small classroom (10 students, 2 teachers) in his Atlanta School with a lot of individual and caring/nurturing/child centered support. He was excelling in school and testing on national standardized tests at least one or two grades ahead of his age group, depending on the subject. There are no similar schools where we live now, and he has been through two of the public grade schools with no success. At the end of this period he was testing on the same tests a year or two behind his age group, even though we held him back a year.

We are now home-schooling through a fully acredited on-line academy, but it is likely that our home life will not survive multiple-years of this situation, and he is clearly not getting the socialization he needs as well. The existing home-school networks in our area are not acceptable to us.

Is anyone aware of a private school in the South Western KY or Nashville area that we should investigate? At this point, an hour's drive each way would be an improvement.
Thanks.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-08-2012, 08:17 AM

49,932 posts, read 59,908,774 times
Are you wanting to stay in your current home?

Currey Ingram Academy in Brentwood would be a good fit.

Browser Not Supported

(The link works, even though it's ugly.)

It's phenomenally expensive, but I have friends who somehow have multiple kids enrolled there.

Old 05-08-2012, 08:24 AM

2,428 posts, read 5,544,412 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Wmsn4Life View Post
Are you wanting to stay in your current home?

Currey Ingram Academy in Brentwood would be a good fit.

Browser Not Supported

(The link works, even though it's ugly.)

It's phenomenally expensive, but I have friends who somehow have multiple kids enrolled there.
CI supposedly has generous financial aid and I know a few very affluent/wealthy families that have moved to the area just to attend.

Another cheaper option might be Benton Hall.

Both schools would be a hike from Bowling Green.

Old 05-08-2012, 08:51 AM

584 posts, read 1,136,015 times
Currey Ingram has been in the news quite a bit lately, and not for positive reasons.

Old 05-08-2012, 08:52 AM

584 posts, read 1,136,015 times
Here is another: Benton Hall Academy

I have no personal experience with it (or with CI, for that matter).

Old 05-09-2012, 04:21 PM

126 posts, read 326,903 times
I have a child with Aspergers he is in public school in Nashville. I would NEVER send him to Curry-Ingram and if you PM me I will tell you why. Anyway, Benton Hall is one and I know some parents who have opted for the Linden School which is Waldorf if you are familiar with their educational style. It is nurturing but it has it quirks too. Good Luck!

Old 04-05-2014, 09:07 PM

1 posts, read 2,866 times
interested in your take on Currey-Ingram. tried to PM you but can't. feel free to PM me. thanks

Old 04-06-2014, 01:50 AM

52 posts, read 80,700 times
Anonymous letter raises eyebrows, lawsuit at Currey Ingram | Nashville City Paper

Ok, I finally found a few articles like the above. It seems the headmistress is pulling in almost half a million dollars a year, double what all the other heads of school make in the area. And her son was employed by the school when he was caught and pled guilty to statutory rape of a 16 year old boy (not a CI student). And some kind of letter about these things was circulated among the parents, and the school started subpoenaing the parents rather than comforting them, in order to find out who wrote the letter. Hmmm.

I just toured the school last week and really really was impressed with it for my little boy. He has mild LDs and social anxiety and here in LA he is in a small class that is just perfect for him. I walked the beautiful campus, the admissions woman was delightful and also was well liked from the heads of other schools. I sat in on a class my son would be in if he attended today, and it was just perfect. The thought that he could be in such an environment all the way through 12th was a dream for me. I came away impressed - with the kids and teachers and the beautiful, large campus. It seemed like a great match for us.

However, the thought that these hard earned dollars might be going toward someone's salary in an unethical way, or perhaps who is harboring a convicted sex offender in her close to campus home, not realizing what appearance that makes for the parents .... Is troubling. I don't know what to think. Nor do I wish to hear the politically correct response I would get if I asked the admissions dept at the school about this. I can imagine what they would say, and it makes me scared to even move. Although officious hide-the-laundry correctness happens at every affected institution everywhere. Sad. I hope the school corrects anything that is corrupt or even gives that appearance. It seems to be a wonderful place for these kids.

Old 04-06-2014, 05:16 AM

2,428 posts, read 5,544,412 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Yaelle View Post
Anonymous letter raises eyebrows, lawsuit at Currey Ingram | Nashville City Paper

Ok, I finally found a few articles like the above. It seems the headmistress is pulling in almost half a million dollars a year, double what all the other heads of school make in the area. And her son was employed by the school when he was caught and pled guilty to statutory rape of a 16 year old boy (not a CI student). And some kind of letter about these things was circulated among the parents, and the school started subpoenaing the parents rather than comforting them, in order to find out who wrote the letter. Hmmm.

I just toured the school last week and really really was impressed with it for my little boy. He has mild LDs and social anxiety and here in LA he is in a small class that is just perfect for him. I walked the beautiful campus, the admissions woman was delightful and also was well liked from the heads of other schools. I sat in on a class my son would be in if he attended today, and it was just perfect. The thought that he could be in such an environment all the way through 12th was a dream for me. I came away impressed - with the kids and teachers and the beautiful, large campus. It seemed like a great match for us.

However, the thought that these hard earned dollars might be going toward someone's salary in an unethical way, or perhaps who is harboring a convicted sex offender in her close to campus home, not realizing what appearance that makes for the parents .... Is troubling. I don't know what to think. Nor do I wish to hear the politically correct response I would get if I asked the admissions dept at the school about this. I can imagine what they would say, and it makes me scared to even move. Although officious hide-the-laundry correctness happens at every affected institution everywhere. Sad. I hope the school corrects anything that is corrupt or even gives that appearance. It seems to be a wonderful place for these kids.
I think CI had a change in leadership as a result of all this.

Old 04-06-2014, 11:08 AM

52 posts, read 80,700 times
Yes, I was just informed that the headmistress and pervert son are gone! What a relief. I found it a wonderful school, at least for my son. "His" class was truly a happy and cohesive group, much like the one he is in here, but not forced to mix with a big general pop public school which my son hates here. Anyone interested in a school for kids with LD should check it out. Give them a chance. They got rid of the risky leader.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Tennessee > Nashville