Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Tennessee > Nashville
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 05-11-2012, 06:34 AM

67 posts, read 125,065 times

Advertisements

Hey all,

I've been home searching the past week and have looked at probably 40 homes. Looking at some more today, but I found a property I love in Brentwood. But I see actually it's Davidson county, not Williamson. It's right off Old Hickory near Hillsboro Pike. So I hear the schools in Davidson aren't as nice, and also property taxes are actually higher in Davidson. Actually from my quick math, I think about 30% higher! The house is about 1.1M.

I also liked some homes in Anandale and Westhaven. Are the advantages of Williamson worth it, to focus more on those neighborhoods and/or county?

Thanks
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-11-2012, 06:45 AM

1,977 posts, read 4,205,559 times
This has been discussed ad nauseum. In fact, there is a thread a few down for yours. Just search for Brentwood. For myself, being from the "real" Brentwood, I would say it is worth it, but it all depends on your financial situation and if you have kids and what your middle and high school plans are for them. Re-sale values should be taken into consideration as well.

EDIT: Just read you are talking about near Forrest Hills...when people come here asking about Brentwood in Davidson, they are usually talking about the areas around Nolensville Rd. or Edmondson Pike and Old Hickory. IMHO, the Forrest Hills area is pretty nice, but most kids I knew who lived there went to private school. I am not sure what schools those areas feed into.

Old 05-11-2012, 06:59 AM

Thanks, yeah I saw several of these topics. This particular property is literally probably 200 feet from the county border sign, it's crazy how that works.

The schools it is zoned for are:

Elementary School: Percy Priest Elementary
Middle School: John T. Moore Middle School
High School: Hillsboro Comp High School

We don't have kids yet, so it will be several years before it affects us, but it could matter when/if we sell. We're also looking at a few homes in 27205 and 37215 today.

Will resale values suffer potentially (moreso than williamson) because of being in Davidson?

Old 05-11-2012, 07:08 AM

1,977 posts, read 4,205,559 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by verdegallardo View Post
Thanks, yeah I saw several of these topics. This particular property is literally probably 200 feet from the county border sign, it's crazy how that works.

The schools it is zoned for are:

Elementary School: Percy Priest Elementary
Middle School: John T. Moore Middle School
High School: Hillsboro Comp High School

We don't have kids yet, so it will be several years before it affects us, but it could matter when/if we sell. We're also looking at a few homes in 27205 and 37215 today.

Will resale values suffer potentially (moreso than williamson) because of being in Davidson?
From what I have heard, those elementary and middle schools are good and get good reviews on Great Schools. Hillsboro is a bit less desirable for a high school and that may impact re-sale. However, $1mil+ homes should also interest buyers who have the means to send their kids to private school, so it may be less of an issue. Also, just to disclose, I am not a realtor, so take my replies about home values with a grain of salt.

Is there any reason you are looking at this particular area? $1mil+ opens up a lot of options, especially in Brentwood and Franklin, both desirable areas that I imagine should hold re-sale values.

Old 05-11-2012, 07:17 AM

Thank you!

No reason at all that I'm looking here, aside from this is just where a particular house I like is located. Love the house, but don't like the fact it's in Davidson. Still looking though! I found one I like a lot in Westhaven but it's 1.350M, but it's only .35 acres. And Im worried with such a small lot, it might be overpriced and may have issues selling it.

I'm having issues with finding something I like - I want a great house, but also a nice lot with privacy etc. I find great houses in Anandale and Westhaven, but many of them are on postage stamp size lots. Governors club and McGavick farms have much nicer lots, but I am finding for a nice house on those lots price starts to really go up.

Are there any schools in Davidson that compare to williamson county schools?

Old 05-11-2012, 08:30 AM

610 posts, read 1,623,163 times
Quote:
Not really. For that kind of money, focus on Williamson County for the public schools. If you go with Davidson, prepare to send your kids to a private school.

Old 05-11-2012, 08:45 AM

2,428 posts, read 5,543,931 times
Quote:
Thank you!

No reason at all that I'm looking here, aside from this is just where a particular house I like is located. Love the house, but don't like the fact it's in Davidson. Still looking though! I found one I like a lot in Westhaven but it's 1.350M, but it's only .35 acres. And Im worried with such a small lot, it might be overpriced and may have issues selling it.

I'm having issues with finding something I like - I want a great house, but also a nice lot with privacy etc. I find great houses in Anandale and Westhaven, but many of them are on postage stamp size lots. Governors club and McGavick farms have much nicer lots, but I am finding for a nice house on those lots price starts to really go up.

That one in Westhaven is beautiful. I don't think you'd have trouble selling it anymore than you would have selling any 1.35M house in this market.

FWIW, they are opening up bigger lots in Westhaven. The undeveloped side of Fleetwood is opening up this year and they are expanding Westhaven Blvd and Championship Blvd with bigger lots.

I supposed it depends on your needs but the "estate" lots and driveway lots in Westhaven tend to be big enough to have yard and some privacy, but not so big that you spend all weekend mowing or paying exhorbinant amounts to mow.

Old 05-11-2012, 09:57 AM

49,932 posts, read 59,901,366 times
Yeah, for some reason no one calls that western area off Old Hickory "Brentwood." It is Forest Hills.

I agree with Sept that resale for any house in that price range will have its own challenges. Forest Hills is one of the most desirable areas in Nashville, and the previous point that if you can afford a $1M house you can probably afford private school really makes any resale conversation moot if you are talking about Forest Hills or your other two target zip codes.

Taxes are significantly higher in Davidson County, but there are little trade-offs. For example, Nashville provides trash pickup, while Brentwood doesn't. Nashville has higher taxes because the city has its own water treatment facilities, trash services, a much larger school system etc. But the relative value in Williamson County is hard to beat.

If you do not have kids yet, I say buy the house you want in the area you want, then wait until you really have to make the schools decision to see if you want to move. You will be fine through 5th grade, Moore is a fine school with a diverse student population and active parent group. Hillsboro has declined seriously over the years. Of the choices you mentioned, I would choose McGavock Farms first for location/convenience and so I would never have to worry about schools, then this Forest Hills home, then Westhaven, then Gov Club. Annandale has really taken off because of its convenient location, though. Remember that the front half of that neighborhood is in Davidson County too.

One warning: DO NOT attempt to go by that Forest Hills house this Saturday, May 12. There is a huge annual horse race called Iroquois Steeplechase taking place across the street in Percy Warner Park. Old Hickory Blvd. will be closed to any other traffic, and you do not want to be near there if you aren't attending.

Last edited by BirdieBelle; 05-11-2012 at 10:10 AM.. Reason: remembered Steeplechase aka PeopleWaste

Old 05-11-2012, 02:33 PM

584 posts, read 1,135,939 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Wmsn4Life View Post

One warning: DO NOT attempt to go by that Forest Hills house this Saturday, May 12. There is a huge annual horse race called Iroquois Steeplechase taking place across the street in Percy Warner Park. Old Hickory Blvd. will be closed to any other traffic, and you do not want to be near there if you aren't attending.
PS: Downtown Franklin and part of 96 will be a challenge for part of the day (which could create challenges getting to Westhaven) with the Rodeo Parade at noon, Saturday.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Tennessee > Nashville