Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Tennessee > Nashville
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 05-23-2012, 06:31 AM

722 posts, read 2,101,147 times

Advertisements

Just got mine yesterday and the value they are assessing on the house is a good 15K more than what I could sell it for. I saw on the back of the card how to protest. Is this normal for the State to do or is there a formula on how they got to the assessment value. It was a new house in 2011. I dont know if that is a factor.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-23-2012, 06:50 AM

49,927 posts, read 59,944,601 times
Is it from your city or county? The state doesn't send out property tax notices. What county do you live in?

How do you know it's more than you could sell it for? Are there environmental concerns nearby that would affect your property value, such as a flood plain or interstate?

Old 05-23-2012, 08:06 AM

19 posts, read 43,244 times
To expand on Wmsn4life's great reply --

You could validate your thoughts on the value of your house by using online tools such as Zillow.com and Realtor.com, which can be used to show recent sales of comparable properties in your area. If you see a trend in the sale prices that back-up your ideas on your home's value (see Wmsn4life's post), print those results out and present them as part of your tax protest.

I've done this with a fair amount of success over the years.

Old 05-23-2012, 12:01 PM

722 posts, read 2,101,147 times
Thanks for the info. it was from Sumner Co. I asked my realtor and she said I could try but it wont drop much if they do. They had my house at about 106/sq ft which is a little high or wishful thinking if I were to sell.

Old 05-23-2012, 12:56 PM

2,428 posts, read 5,547,052 times
I got my assessment last year and it went up significantly but still less than what we paid. However, the house next door to me at the time was on the market for $150k less than what we had paid for ours and is bigger according to the listing. I called the assessor's office, talked to someone over there and pointed out the listing for the house next door. I got a new appraisal card in the mail and they dropped the appraisal amount $90k and so it only went up $10k from the 2006 appraisal.

It is worth making the call.

Old 05-23-2012, 02:16 PM

49,927 posts, read 59,944,601 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by El Passeaux View Post
Thanks for the info. it was from Sumner Co. I asked my realtor and she said I could try but it wont drop much if they do. They had my house at about 106/sq ft which is a little high or wishful thinking if I were to sell.
You need to try to let them know by June 1, when they finalize the assessment.
Equalization Board Convenes June 1

Sumner has had quite a bit of growth, so it may be accurate. But I agree that it's worth the call. Mine came out way higher than I thought. I called and told them that we were partially in a flood plain, which they somehow missed, and they lowered it $25,000.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Tennessee > Nashville