Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Tennessee > Nashville
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-26-2007, 08:13 PM

37 posts, read 173,690 times

Advertisements

Moving to middle Tn. I've seen on other posts about Smyrna, Pegram, LaVergne, Murfreesboro. We're a middle-class family, not fancy, not poor - just in the middle. Looking for a country setting - (coming from North Jersey -looking to get as far from the city as possible, but also within 30-40 minutes from Nashville - lets face it - used to the city pay! Anyone have any ideas???

Oh, we have an 8 yr old - so looking for good schools. Do they have cheerleading for
4th graders in TN?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-26-2007, 10:45 PM

1,197 posts, read 3,581,414 times
Default Info. on Murfreesboro

Hello,
Great to hear that your family is thinking of moving to this area of Tenn. My wife and I just moved to Murfreesboro from Ohio and we've enjoyed it so far. Don't know too much about Smyrna, LaVergne so I don't want to give an opinion on those places.
I work in Nashville and commute every day (about 30-35 min.) one way to work. The pace here is a little slower but the majority of the people here are very friendly. This area of Tenn. seems to be growing quite a bit. Murfreesboro has a large state universtiy (MTSU), and the schools are pretty good from what we've heard lately. This area is more middle class, blue collar communities but very diverse in it's people; Lots of families and some college students. You probably wouldn't have too much trouble finding a good school here. Look into the Blackman schools which are west of Murfreesboro but are still located within the city school area. This area is booming with homes and all new developments.

Hope that helps. I'll let you know if I find out anything else

Old 01-27-2007, 09:42 PM

Default Thank you!!!!!

Your reply was so kind. Thank you! It's nice to know that there's someone out there to help someone in need of information! God Bless you and your family!!!!!!!

Old 01-27-2007, 10:19 PM

1,197 posts, read 3,581,414 times
Not a problem. I stumbled upon this website when doing research for moving to Tn. It was very helpful to us in our decision to move here but ultimately, it was the Lord who led us here. Some people told me that LaVergne has become a bad part of the Nashville area and Smyrna could be going downhill has well. Doesn't seem to be as much of a downtown feel there. The pop. of Murfreesboro is around 85,000 so it has been growing steadily over the past few years. If you want more info. on the city you can google the city and cnn. money magazine has Murfreesboro listed as one of their 100 best places to live for 2006. There are plenty of restaurants, churches, etc.. in town and a cool running/walking trail that was once a Civil war battlefield.
Not a town for everyone but we like it..

Old 01-28-2007, 09:13 PM

2 posts, read 6,791 times
I recently moved from Long Island NY to Middle TN. It is an adjustment....but I wouldn't move back

Old 01-29-2007, 05:00 AM

3,963 posts, read 10,629,574 times
Hi-

I live in Franklin and love it. We've been here about 5 years now. Hope you'll be happy here too.

As for cheerleading, you'll have no problem on that one. I started laughing when I read your question about that because it's VERY big here. Must be a southern thing. I didn't realize there were cheerleaders with no team before, but just as a sport unto itself. There are gyms that do nothing but coach children to cheer, so your daughter will have lots to chose from.

Good luck!

Old 01-29-2007, 09:00 PM

Default Cheerleading

Hello,

Thank you so much for your reply! You have no idea what a relief that is! My daughter actually waited from Kindergarten until 3rd grade to cheer on a real team. I'm sure she would not be happy to give all that up now!!!!! I actually printed your response to show her. Oh, I hope I didn't give you the wrong impression, she was on a team last year (hey, they cheered a big 8 games - we're talking big time here! , In moving, she just isn't willing to give that glory up! .

Thank you again, you mentioned Franklin, would you mind telling me how far that is from Nashville, and what that town is like, if it wouldn't be too much trouble? We're looking to get just a few (maybe 5 or so) acres. Not looking for a big money town (I've seen there's pleanty of those down there).

Any info you can supply would be greatly appreciated. Thank you so much for you time. God bless!

Old 01-29-2007, 09:32 PM

Default little red folders

Does anyone know how to make those little red folders that they show?

Old 02-22-2007, 07:21 AM

630 posts, read 2,431,703 times
Default pageants....

Hey, I have a little question.
My 7 year old does pageants.... no, not the makeup ones, the non-makeup, age appropriate ones.
She won our state last year, and competed in Florida for the Nationals over Thanksgiving.
Can you tell me how receptive they are in the middle Tennessee area to little girls that are in pageants?
Any local pageants?

Quote:
Originally Posted by akm4 View Post
Hi-

I live in Franklin and love it. We've been here about 5 years now. Hope you'll be happy here too.

As for cheerleading, you'll have no problem on that one. I started laughing when I read your question about that because it's VERY big here. Must be a southern thing. I didn't realize there were cheerleaders with no team before, but just as a sport unto itself. There are gyms that do nothing but coach children to cheer, so your daughter will have lots to chose from.

Good luck!

Old 03-05-2007, 12:44 PM

18 posts, read 81,811 times
Hi Mar001,

I live in Brooklyn and work in Manhattan. I'm moving to Nashville at the end of the summer. Much like you, I want to get far far away from the east coast. I found a great book that was very helpful. It's called Insiders' Guide to Nashville by Cindy Stooksbury Guier. It has tons a great stuff on relocating including neighborhoods, schools, restaurants, etc. It even tells you how to get a TN drivers license and where to go. I think you'll find it helpful. Another thing I did was start keeping a 5 subject notebook with all kinds of Nashville info in each section. Real estate, buying a car, moving costs...things like that.

Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Tennessee > Nashville