Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Tennessee > Nashville
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-12-2012, 06:35 AM

49,927 posts, read 59,944,601 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by akm4 View Post
I think you may be confusing our way of life for ignorance. Just because we're not as suspicious of others here doesn't mean we're "oblivious" to danger elsewhere. It's not like we go to NYC and ask someone to hold our wallet while we take a picture. We appreciate what we have here, but we still live in the real world.

Some of your comments came off a bit superior-
"You gotta be kidding to think it's not dangerous to leave those signs out...lol...the mentality here is mind blowing. I guess it is good that this area is a place where you can live without criminals taking advantage of oblivious behavior. I'm telling u there are things that could happen beyond your logic."

Give it time, Rob. Soon, you'll be leaving comments like ours for newcomers.
Yes, this is what I thought. My dad always liked to say, "Don't confuse our kindness for weakness."

Just because we're nice doesn't mean we're targets. I travel to "big cities" all the time and have yet to have less than a great time with (knock on wood) no bodily injuries and with all my possessions still in my possession.

Just be glad you're out of there, and quit assuming we're all rubes.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-12-2012, 01:24 PM

5,064 posts, read 5,729,580 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by RazorRob305 View Post
I guess that's just the way it is around here, just thought it was surprising when I saw those signs out. I'm not from here though so forgive my lack of understanding of how things are here. If u look at these forums and study Nashville vs. other places you can see how much different things are in other places. Even the Nashville forum on here people don't get out of hand too much like other city's forums. That is what makes it a good place to live because people are generally non confrontational here, but I do have to say that if some of the people who grew up here living in this mentality went to places like Miami, Detroit, L.A., NY ect...they would be so oblivious to the dangers by the way they conduct themselves living here. Different strokes I guess, but I do see the positives of Tennessee though. It's hard to hate too much on Nashville. It's a good city to raise your family in for sure, no doubt about that.
Somehow my family managed to survive a trip to NYC, Philly, and DC last summer with no problems. We just all packed our best John Deer overalls. It was a little hard for my kids to adjust to wearing shoes though.

And quite a few times my husband and I have gotten on one of those big ol' flying aero planes and visited other countries.

Old 06-12-2012, 02:26 PM

584 posts, read 1,136,532 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by RazorRob305 View Post
but I do have to say that if some of the people who grew up here living in this mentality went to places like Miami, Detroit, L.A., NY ect...they would be so oblivious to the dangers by the way they conduct themselves living here.
I have lived in and near two of the cities you name and never felt I was in danger, although I knew better than to go into certain areas at night and other areas ever. People were friendly, there was a solid sense of community in the immediate area (street or condo complex), and neighbors watched out for one another there, too. Personally, people were more guarded. The chit-chat with strangers at the grocery store didn't happen there like it does here, and with more sprawl, we knew fewer folks in our immediate area (people at work and at church were from all over, which is a bit different from here).

Old 06-16-2012, 06:46 PM

30 posts, read 83,788 times
This thread really caught my attention as I have lived in SoCal for 20 years, my husband has been working in Miami for a year (ugh) and we are trying hard to get to TN! We visited Franklin on a whim 2 years ago, fell in love with the people the cost of living, good public schools and the beautiful area.

My husband interviewed at at Nashville company a week ago and we are on pins and needles hoping it will come through so we can MOVE. I have been looking at surrounding cities (just in case) to get a feel for places other than Franklin.

Over the last few months I have been asked over and over about our moving stauts and tell folks we hope its TN. EVERYONE has said great things and knows a friend or family member who has moved to TN and loves it. I was at a hotel here recently and our server happened to be from TN and went on and on about all the things I would love about TN.

I have been told more than once about families that people swore would come running back to CA who are happily living in TN never to return! So yes, we will miss the oceana great deal. I am just looking for a property near a lake or river so my son has his water!!

Anyway, I am so ready for some green grass big trees and people with...dare I say, MANNERS! (not to mention property taxes I can afford)

Old 06-17-2012, 01:53 AM

6,662 posts, read 13,333,679 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Landscapr View Post
I have been told more than once about families that people swore would come running back to CA who are happily living in TN never to return! So yes, we will miss the oceana great deal. I am just looking for a property near a lake or river so my son has his water!!
Start your look near Hendersonville and Mount Juliet. Those areas would put you near Old Hickory Lake (the largest of the lakes in the immediate area). Gallatin and (unincorporated) Laguardo are also options. Otherwise, you can live in the city and not too, too far from the lake (Hermitage or Antioch to Percy Priest).

Almost all of Nashville's metro will be within 30-45 minutes of a lake/major river.

P.S...if he is a surfer...he might be interested in wake boarding.

Old 06-18-2012, 10:18 PM

2,865 posts, read 9,367,303 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Landscapr View Post
This thread really caught my attention as I have lived in SoCal for 20 years, my husband has been working in Miami for a year (ugh) and we are trying hard to get to TN! We visited Franklin on a whim 2 years ago, fell in love with the people the cost of living, good public schools and the beautiful area.

My husband interviewed at at Nashville company a week ago and we are on pins and needles hoping it will come through so we can MOVE. I have been looking at surrounding cities (just in case) to get a feel for places other than Franklin.

Over the last few months I have been asked over and over about our moving stauts and tell folks we hope its TN. EVERYONE has said great things and knows a friend or family member who has moved to TN and loves it. I was at a hotel here recently and our server happened to be from TN and went on and on about all the things I would love about TN.

Anyway, I am so ready for some green grass big trees and people with...dare I say, MANNERS! (not to mention property taxes I can afford)
There are a lot of people from California here, a lot are Nissan Employess as Nissan moved their coperate here in 2006

Old 06-18-2012, 10:35 PM

2,865 posts, read 9,367,303 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by brentwoodgirl View Post
Somehow my family managed to survive a trip to NYC, Philly, and DC last summer with no problems. We just all packed our best John Deer overalls. It was a little hard for my kids to adjust to wearing shoes though.

And quite a few times my husband and I have gotten on one of those big ol' flying aero planes and visited other countries.
LOL-Please don't do the no shoes joke. There are people in other states that really believe it! I once had to prove that Nashville had shoe stores! I heard that Joke has been around for years.
I'm glad you came home safe. Those cities are scary, LOL

Old 06-19-2012, 01:15 AM

6,662 posts, read 13,333,679 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Diane Giam View Post
LOL-Please don't do the no shoes joke. There are people in other states that really believe it! I once had to prove that Nashville had shoe stores! I heard that Joke has been around for years.
I'm glad you came home safe. Those cities are scary, LOL
That's the beauty of it...it actually works. On Spring Break, I even convinced some girl in South Florida that it was true. I even said I parked my car in the barn and only used it to go traveling, because I could get to the general store on my tractor.

Old 06-19-2012, 06:25 AM

353 posts, read 1,001,213 times
I guess I am a little slow...but what is the "danger" in it? Really no difference in that or the various "battle flags" of ones favorite team (Titans/'Bama/'Vols). People that are looking to take advantage aren't even paying attention to that type of signage.

Last edited by Why_Am_I_Here; 06-19-2012 at 06:26 AM.. Reason: mispelling

Old 06-19-2012, 06:26 AM

3,963 posts, read 10,632,725 times
George Jones did nothing to stop the John Deere rumors.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Tennessee > Nashville