Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Tennessee > Nashville
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-12-2012, 06:24 AM

6 posts, read 13,684 times

Advertisements

Hello! Briefing on my current situation: young married couple looking to find an inexpensive nice area to start a family. My wife and I both work downtown Nashville, and are looking in the Thompson's Station area. Our housing budget of 185k eliminates pretty much all of Brentwood (where we would like to be), and doesn't get us much in Franklin in terms of home/neighborhood quality. The homes you can get for the money in TS are pretty incredible, but I worry about the commute. Any suggestions? Our priorities in order of importance: nice neighborhood, great schools, nice home, decent commute. Our current commute is about 35 minutes.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-12-2012, 06:39 AM

49,932 posts, read 59,901,366 times
You should worry about the commute.

You also should worry about the lack of things to do for younger folks in TS.

Have you looked at Bellevue? Or even at a one-level condo in Nashville? What is your timetable for starting a family? No need to worry about schools for at least 5 or 6 years, even if you got pregnant today. Your main concerns in choosing a home when you have infants/toddlers will be space and not having multiple levels of stairs to go up and down. You also will need to consider proximity to day care, pediatrician's office, since you will be there often, as well as grocery for those late-nite diaper runs.

Yes, you can get more house for the money out there, but the lower price is due to the distance. The cost of commuting is something people truly underestimate, with gas, car wear-and-tear, and access to home and family. You really should spend some time out there, and make the drive once during rush hour.

I'm just not sure you need to start 45 minutes away from your jobs just to get a family lifestyle. I'm pressed for time now, but I'm sure others will have some neighborhood suggestions soon.

Old 06-12-2012, 06:47 AM

Thanks for the quick response! We haven't looked at Bellevue yet, but that is a great suggestion. Any specific neighborhoods that you think we should take a look at? We are going to be making the trip to TS today to test it out. Also, I forgot to mention we work 7-4 (not sure if that changes anything).

Old 06-12-2012, 06:54 AM

Also, our timetable for starting a family is in 1-2 years. As far as a condo - we will be doing FHA financing, which often times isn't allowed to be used for a condo.

Last edited by 62caster; 06-12-2012 at 06:55 AM.. Reason: iPhone error

Old 06-12-2012, 09:01 AM

3,760 posts, read 7,086,830 times
A 45 minute commute each way is 90 minutes a day or 7.5 hours a week.

Based on 50 work weeks a year that's 375 hours in the car (or the equivalent of another NINE "40 hour weeks" of work.

Over 5 years that's 45 more 40 hour weeks or work or 1,875 hours of commuting.

If one hour in the car is equivalent to 2.5 gallons of gas at $3.50 a gallon (it's gonna go up over time) that's $8.75 an hour times 1,875 hours of commute comes to $16,406 in gas.

You could get a small house in Fieldstone Farms (I am NOT pushing Fieldstone, it just has a lot of housing inventory and I live here so I know what is for sale) for about $200,000 and at LEAST have a lot of that TIME back.

The older I get the more precious TIME becomes. Particularly time with family.

Yes, a math geek at heart . . .

Old 06-12-2012, 05:08 PM

Very, very true. I don't want to spend any more time in the car than needed. Anybody here heard anything about Bradford Hills over by Nolensville and Old Hickory?

Old 06-12-2012, 05:15 PM

2,888 posts, read 6,738,916 times
Also check out Hendersonville/Sumner County. You would have easy access to downtown Nashville, and the schools are good.

Old 06-12-2012, 05:51 PM

222 posts, read 638,844 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by 62caster View Post
Very, very true. I don't want to spend any more time in the car than needed. Anybody here heard anything about Bradford Hills over by Nolensville and Old Hickory?
Yes, we live near this area and know many families who live in Bradford Hills. The zoned elementary school is Shayne, and it's wonderful. We have a child there. The zoned middle school is Oliver, and it's great too. I work there, and our older daughter went there. If you do a search in those school zones, you'll find lots of nice areas.
Good luck with your search!

Old 06-12-2012, 07:43 PM

11 posts, read 28,119 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by 62caster View Post
We know four families that live in Bradford Hills. All great, professional, friendly folks. I would definitely choose that location over Thompson's Station.

Old 06-12-2012, 08:21 PM

49,932 posts, read 59,901,366 times
We have had friends live in Bradford Hills. It does seem to have held up well over the past few years. The location is good too, with access to Nolensville, Nashville and Brentwood too.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Tennessee > Nashville