Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Tennessee > Nashville
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-11-2012, 09:44 PM

28 posts, read 63,005 times

Advertisements

Oh, ok, I know we could find an affordable place in Nashville itself, but I do want to stay out of their schools.
I worked really hard to get my kids into the top rated public prep school here and it still pales in comparison to schools in Williamson County, so I definitely want a step up.

I will keep looking in Hendersonville.

Some other threads (older ones) had mentioned Murfreesboro, is this a good area?

I should mention- my husband is in IT and I am a stay at home mom. I'm in my 30's & he's in his 40's.
My husband is also currently in art school and would probably continue classes in Tennessee, plus he is a musician (not a career anymore). I know Nashville is Music City, but having lived in the Capitol city of California for many years now, we are more than happy to go back to our roots of small town living.
I love the idea of being able to drive to the city.....but not live in it.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-12-2012, 06:05 AM

3,963 posts, read 10,632,725 times
Murfreesboro-Franklin isn't a fun commute. I know people who do it, and they hate it.

Given your criteria, I say Fairview or Spring Hill are worth a look.

Old 07-12-2012, 06:24 AM

722 posts, read 2,101,147 times
Hendersonville is a fantastic suburb with great schools but if he is going to work in Franklin, Hendersonville is north of Nashville, Franklin south. He would be driving thru downtown to get there. If its rush hour, i can imagine it being somewhere in the hour to 90 minute range for a commute. Hendersonville wont work for you in that respect.

Old 07-12-2012, 09:02 AM

3,760 posts, read 7,090,694 times
Looks like your thread got hijacked! You can always start another one with a specific question, like schools.

Just wanted to say the the cost of living is certainly something to consider when deciding where to live. But more importantly is QUALITY OF LIFE. There's more to living anywhere than just the cost . . . .

Old 07-12-2012, 09:26 AM

28 posts, read 63,005 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by CountryGirl2b= View Post
Just wanted to say the the cost of living is certainly something to consider when deciding where to live. But more importantly is QUALITY OF LIFE. There's more to living anywhere than just the cost . . . .
I need this embroidered on a pillow! Good advice, thank you

Old 09-15-2012, 06:58 PM

372 posts, read 593,590 times
I know this is a couple of months old, but where did you end up? We are originally from Sac and Oakland. I know Oak Park very well. You will fill VERY safe here with regards to crime. We live out in Fairview. I just did a crime mapping of our neighborhood for a 3 year time span and NO, absolutely NO crimes were reported in our neighborhood during that time.

Let me tell you it was a HUGE culture shock for us moving here. Not just because Fairview is a little further out, but because of the prevailing Christian Conservative culture. Now, we have definitely found our pocket of liberal agnostics, but not without a ton of tears and spiraling into a bit of depression from feeling so out of place. It took a lot of coiurage for me to not be worried about alienating people---letting my "freak flag fly" if you will that really connected me to like minded folks. People are really, truly warm and nice. In the short time I have lived here, Fairview has changed a ton. It's building up and it is SO beautiful. The 700 acre nature park here is really our crown jewel that holds twice yearly nature fests and year long classes for kids and adults. It rocks! We have a ton of house and yard for way less than what we can get in Franklin. My husband's commute into Cool Springs (franklin) is about 30 minutes with a nice easy 55-mph drive---no traffic. He does not mind it at all.

Anyway, I'm curious about how you are doing being a former Nocal resident myself.

Old 09-15-2012, 09:52 PM

We should start a NorCal transplant coffee group or something.

Old 09-16-2012, 05:49 PM

4,344 posts, read 4,721,445 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by akm4 View Post
We should start a NorCal transplant coffee group or something.
Great idea!!

Old 09-16-2012, 07:11 PM

372 posts, read 593,590 times
Do it!!!

Old 09-16-2012, 07:15 PM

Well maybe I WILL!

Weekdays....what time works for those interested? Early or lunchtime?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Tennessee > Nashville