Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Tennessee > Nashville
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-15-2012, 05:35 PM

19 posts, read 26,170 times

Advertisements

Thanks everyone for the valuable input. I flew this weekend from LAX into BNA and drove to Franklin scouting the area and took everyone's advice to heart. I didn't realize how spread out things are in Franklin until I started driving around. I attempted to walk around carothers pkwy and cool springs road area but vehicles were zipping by me so I relented and ended up driving. I tried to drive to downtown Franklin from my work address but just didn't feel comfortable it being a good idea either if there were thunderstorms. One thing I'm very happy about is how nice people were. I can't believe how helpful people have been in my journey to move to TN. I also don't know what I was thinking worrying about being a minority. If I change my mind about moving to TN it won't be because of the people.

I feel like saying some phrase like namaste or ubuntu but most definitely thanks everyone!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-15-2012, 10:29 PM

455 posts, read 1,140,250 times
Yes, it's a shame your job is in the Carothers Pkwy area. Traffic in Franklin sucks. I avoid it whenever possible. And in fact, since I work from home, I rarely go anywhere near that part of Franklin.

(Downtown historic Franklin is lovely, but the rest of Franklin is tract homes and endless strip malls. Kinda nice landscaping, but a strip mall is a strip mall.)

Again, if you do decide to move, you have two options:

1) Go for someplace nice and walkable like Hillsboro Village or even the Gulch and just suck up the fact that you'll be sitting in traffic a lot (although at least you'll be doing the reverse commute)

or

2) Try to get an apt as close to your work as possible, then flee to Nashville or Downtown Franklin on the weekends if you want someplace where you can stroll on sidewalks

Sorry, the Greater Nashville area has lots of positives, but walkability is low on the list.

ps - Happy to hear you found the locals friendly! That's one Nashville stereotype that I think is true and I'm happy to help reinforce!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Tennessee > Nashville