Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Tennessee > Nashville
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-13-2012, 05:12 PM

19 posts, read 26,158 times

Advertisements

Hi City-Data friends, I have an offer to work around Carothers Pkwy, Franklin TN. I currently live in Anaheim, CA (Disneyland area) and want to live in Hillsboro Village. Can someone please tell me how long my commute potentially will be? I'm assuming it will be worse in the winter?

Thanks a bunch!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-13-2012, 06:07 PM

1,432 posts, read 3,843,118 times
It would be 20-30 minutes. The Hillsboro Village area is pretty congested but without traffic probably 20 minutes. Why do you think it would take longer in the winter? It may snow once or twice a year but the summer thunderstorms will likely cause more headaches.

Old 07-13-2012, 11:50 PM

merci vivelafrance, i didn't realize it only snowed once or twice a year in the area. i was expecting more.. another valuable info. are there some nice towns between the 2 with a decent downtown area (and safe of course)? i'm trying to avoid driving all over the place to do things that's why i originally picked hillsboro village. i also would like to limit my daily average commute to 20 minutes from home to work.

thanks again for any info.

Old 07-14-2012, 04:15 AM

1,432 posts, read 3,843,118 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by serenityn0w View Post
merci vivelafrance, i didn't realize it only snowed once or twice a year in the area. i was expecting more.. another valuable info. are there some nice towns between the 2 with a decent downtown area (and safe of course)? i'm trying to avoid driving all over the place to do things that's why i originally picked hillsboro village. i also would like to limit my daily average commute to 20 minutes from home to work.

thanks again for any info.
I think Hillsboro is a good choice for what you're wanting. It's walkable and like I said, 20 minutes without traffic and maybe even with it depending on how you go. I know that when I lived in Germantown it would take me right at 30 minutes to get to Franklin during rush hour. This is a reverse commute so you won't have too many backups to worry about once you get outside the Hillsboro area itself.

2 alternatives would be 12 South and Berry Hill. 12 South can be a bit expensive as its one of the most popular neighborhoods but it would be a tiny bit closer for you. Berry Hill is really close to the Interstate and does offer a small area of restaurants/cafes but is not nearly as desirable as the former 2 neighborhoods.

Depending on your budget and lifestyle you could also consider Franklin itself as it has a walkable downtown area and trolley system. It's more family-based and conservative, however.

And don't worry about the snow. From my experience, your employer won't expect you to come in and being late or absent due to snow is normally no big deal. It's rare that the snow effects rush hour too much since most businesses will close if they know it will be bad. Occasionally, however, we are caught off guard like 2 years ago when it started snowing just before rush hour and I had a 2.5 hour commute from Hendersonville to Germantown but that was a one of a kind type of experience.

Old 07-14-2012, 04:51 AM

2,428 posts, read 5,545,726 times
I've been commuting to Vandy every day this week for my son's camp. It is about 20 minutes to my husband's office on Carothers, unless it is raining and then all bets are off.

If you want a cute downtown Hillsboro Village would be my first choice, but 12S is a good choice. Downtown Franklin is pretty nice too but a different vibe (more historical vs. trendy)

Old 07-14-2012, 09:10 AM

thanks septimus and vivelafrance you've both provided me with such great insight.

i didn't know rain played such a havoc on traffic in the area. i guess i should focus in downtown franklin for now and the trolley is definitely a bonus. the big concern i have about downtown franklin is how conservative it is. i am not a liberal by any stretch but i am a minority.

regards

Old 07-14-2012, 09:22 AM

49,932 posts, read 59,927,052 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by serenityn0w View Post
the big concern i have about downtown franklin is how conservative it is. i am not a liberal by any stretch but i am a minority.

regards
The area as a whole is politically conservative, but there is enough of a creative class that people are tolerant of differences.

"Conservative" does not equal "prejudiced."

Old 07-14-2012, 10:45 AM

2,428 posts, read 5,545,726 times
Yes Franklin trends heavily conservative but I think you'll find a significant number of liberals that you won't feel isolated by being a liberal. (especially closer to downtown Franklin vs. a cookie cutter subdivision) No matter where you live you'll probably think WTF at least once when the legislature is in session :-) It is election season. Drive around a neighborhood and see who they have yard signs out for (it won't help much in WC right now because there are no dems running for state house, but closer to Nov you'll see Obama signs)

Old 07-14-2012, 11:17 AM

3,760 posts, read 7,089,032 times
Cookie Cutter Subdivision Dweller here . . . I am as open as they come . . . we're not all Stepford Wives here! We live where we can afford . . . .

Old 07-15-2012, 02:17 PM

455 posts, read 1,140,083 times
I'd suggest downtown Franklin or thereabouts. Basically, minimizing your commute would be a smart idea. The traffic is already rough during rush hours and as more people move here it will get worse.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Tennessee > Nashville