Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Tennessee > Nashville
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 08-18-2012, 06:43 AM

66 posts, read 303,196 times

Advertisements

I have seen a lot of spiders in my home recently. I decided to take a photograph and use the Internet to figure out what type of spider I was dealing it. Turned out, they're brown recluses! I have a brown recluse infestation.

I know I need to clean the house top to bottom. I started with cleaning out the master bedroom closet. I tried on a bunch of clothes. I thought I was being careful to look and shake things out before putting them on. I must have missed a spider, because I got bitten. The next morning after trying on all the clothes, I woke up with a large, red, itchy, tender rash on my upper back. Looks just like the rash from the brown recluse. That was 4 days ago and the rash is about the same. It hasn't gotten any worse, thank goodness.

I've been seeing this spider at least once a day mostly in my kitchen sink and bathtubs. I thought they were entering through the drain, but from what I've read that's not possible. I've set out glue traps. A couple hours ago, I saw a brown recluse run underneath my microwave. There were 3 glue traps on that counter top, but the spider avoided the traps.

I don't know what to do to get rid of these. From what I've read, treatments from pest control companies are not very effective against brown recluses. Has anyone dealt with a brown recluse spider infestation successfully? How did you do it? And, how did you deal with living in your home when you knew there were poisonous spiders running around? I'm really freaked out and losing sleep over this.
Quick reply to this message

Old 08-18-2012, 07:43 AM

16,176 posts, read 32,481,285 times
You need to call a professional exterminator that has experience with these. You do not want to mess around with brown recluse spiders. Move out until the problem is taken care of. They are not something to mess around with. If you are bitten do consult your doctor.

Old 08-19-2012, 06:50 AM

24 posts, read 69,603 times
I have some experience with brown recluse infestations. First thing you want to do is trap one of the spiders and take it - alive or dead - to the Tennessee Dept. of Agriculture (Ellington Agricultural Center) and talk to an entomologist there in order to identify it. I know it sounds like a pain, but brown recluse spiders have six eyes, not eight, and an entomologist there will be able to check it out under a microscope and let you know for certain. I would do this before totally freaking out about the situation. You'll be able to identify the spider beyond a doubt, plus you'll go home with some knowledge about them and what to do about them.
I had an infestation about seven years ago, so I know how you feel.

Old 08-20-2012, 07:30 AM

3,828 posts, read 8,467,934 times
I know a business owner who had an infestation at their office. As mblight suggested, they took a glue trap sample of a spider to an expert (can't remember if it was TN Dept of Ag or who) and they confirmed that it was the brown recluse. After that, they advised them to call an exterminator that specialized in removing them (can't remember who that was now, sorry) and the exterminator set of multiple bug bombs over a weekend. That helped kill most of them off but I still think they had some later issues with them.

They are very persistent critters.

Old 08-22-2012, 09:39 AM

66 posts, read 303,196 times
Thanks for the responses. I am absolutely certain the spiders I'm seeing are brown recluses. I can see the violin-shaped marking on the larger ones backs. I still may contact the TN Dept. of Agriculture for advice on what to do.

Beretta, moving out is not an option although I wish I could move out.

Mblight, how did you deal with the infestation you had years ago? Were you able to get rid of the spiders?

DonCorleone, I have read that the bug bombs are not very effective because the spiders live in wall spaces and the chemicals don't penetrate the walls and get to them. Did your friend eventually find a effective way to kill the spiders? Glue traps help a little, but still miss most of the spiders.

Old 08-23-2012, 07:21 AM

3,828 posts, read 8,467,934 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Southerner1 View Post
DonCorleone, I have read that the bug bombs are not very effective because the spiders live in wall spaces and the chemicals don't penetrate the walls and get to them. Did your friend eventually find a effective way to kill the spiders? Glue traps help a little, but still miss most of the spiders.
I think they had several exterminator visits and I want to say several bug bomb treatments because it closed off the offices over the weekend. So yes, the treatments aren't the most effective in the world. I remember that they had to basically clear out all file cabinets, desks, closets, etc...where the spiders like to hide and pulled everything away from the walls during the bug bomb. I think it definitely helped...but I don't think it completely eliminated them.

The last I heard, they still had some issues with them but I don't think it was as bad as it used to be. I do remember that the exterminator told them that they are a very territorial type of spider and likened them to salmon...they always return back to the place their ancestors lived. So that is why often you will see problems with them in a subdivision that used to be a farm...homes built near barns or outbuildings where the spiders used to live in peace still attract the creatures. In other words, moving isn't a bad solution.

Old 09-01-2012, 12:37 PM

1 posts, read 4,288 times
Default Brown Recluse

Ive had success using a chemical called Tempo. You can purchase it at Atwoods or a vet supply store. Its concentrated & you mix it with water. I use a 1-gallon sprayer for my house. I spray all baseboards, doorways, basement & sill in the basement(between house & foundation. Make sure you get behind furniture as well as you can. Its clear, doesnt stain & has no odor. I have cats in the house & it doesnt seem to bother them at all. I spray every three months. If you feel you have a heavy infestation I would spray more often. I used to see spiders daily & now I hardly ever see one. I also use it to spray our dog run to cut down on flies & insects, just be sure to remove water & food while spraying.

Old 09-02-2012, 03:59 PM

2 posts, read 11,689 times
One of my son's was bitten by a recluse on the tush when he was still in diapers. I took him to the emergency room when I decided that the redness was NOT DIAPER RASH. The ER doc gave him a shot and I had to put special ointment on the area. He had a scar for years. I guess it finally faded. He's now 38, should I ask him? LOL

Old 09-02-2012, 06:23 PM

1,432 posts, read 3,842,137 times
Not sure if it's still there but the Nashville Zoo had a brown recluse exhibit so you could see what they look like. It was right in the middle of the exhibits on tropical spiders/bugs in their aquariums with leafy plants and rocks but the brown recluse's aquarium was made to look like the carpet behind a TV. Pretty cool.

I never saw a wild brown recluse in all my time in TN but I did see a black widow spider once.

Old 09-02-2012, 10:03 PM

275 posts, read 1,124,846 times
We have black widows, lots of them, I spray a perimeter on the house, with bayer in blue bottle. (Hose end sprayer)
seems to keep them outside.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Tennessee > Nashville