Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Tennessee > Nashville
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 08-19-2012, 11:03 AM

3 posts, read 4,225 times

Advertisements

I am 23 and a college graduate. Things became rough around time of and since graduating college but have manage to save up roughly 4,000 dollars to use when moving. I have finished college with a BA in Psychology, BA in Sociology and minor on Philosophy. I know the question now arises concerning what can you do with those? Well I also took multiple classes involving statistics, writing (research and creative), problem solving, and even spent two spring semesters as part of a team that created, administered, evalutated and reported data from a poll given to students at my University by us.

Well, that is a little background on some of my skills. I have begun searching for a job in nashville, although not sure what best approach would be? I know it probably be smart to have job line-up before moving though; Preferably a job that involves some form of writing. Just not sure what kind of job market and what companies would be good places to start a career down in Nashville.

If anyone has any experience making a big move like this and some steps that one should take before making this kind of move I would appreciate hearing about it.

Last edited by Beretta; 08-19-2012 at 11:21 AM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-19-2012, 11:35 AM

49,932 posts, read 59,894,485 times
A couple of questions ...

Why Nashville? Do you know anyone here?

Have you had a job since graduating?

Do you own a car?

Do you have a rental budget in mind?

Old 08-19-2012, 04:25 PM

Why Nashville? Do you know anyone here?

Well always wanted to go see and explore Nashville, why I cannot say for sure. I love music and writing to start with. So I figure Nashville offer plenty opportunities to learn about the music industry, become a better writer and ability to show others your work. Also, I know getting into writing can be hard and not even lucrative so I do plan on looking for a study job as I try making it in writing.

I do not know anyone from nashville, though much the same can be said about anywhere I move to. A person I work with now does know folks down there and has lived there for months at a time in his life.

Have you had a job since graduating?

I have been working at a local goodwill since february 6th of this year. There a long story as to why I could not go out to apply for better jobs, etc. I am still working at this job too.

Do you own a car?

No I do not own a car. Would of had a car to use but yet again that involves the long story of twist and turns that happen in life that you cannot control.

Do you have a rental budget in mind?

Well, this would be partly dependent on what kind of job I could land before moving there. What I will say is I only plan on getting the necessities at first. I also probably going try to get a studio or apartment for around 500-600 dollars a month. I think some studios run in 400 but of course these are not the better places.

Old 08-19-2012, 07:31 PM

263 posts, read 613,931 times
PsychNick --

I don't want to be a downer,

But I don't think this is a very good idea at all.

God knows I sympathize with a young person wanting to spread his wings and explore the world and try something new. I've been there and, to some degree, am still there. However, things are crazy right now and don't seem to be getting any better. If you were my friend or relative asking me the same thing, I would tell you to hold steady, to not give up on wanting something new and better, but to be patient at least for a little while.

My sincerest best wishes no matter where you go.

Old 08-19-2012, 08:11 PM

3,760 posts, read 7,086,063 times
PsychNick,

I agree, it's not really the best time OR maybe just not the best place. The thing about Nashville is that you really need a car. There are probably other cities to move where you could get around without one but sadly, Nashville is not one of them. Maybe Atlanta? Or even Chattanooga? College town, smaller . . .

If you're a writer, you should start writing. Start a blog about moving. Write, write, write . . . . it will be like a portfolio when you do look for a job writing. There's a lot of health care companies down here but I have a friend who does medical writing and she actually has a Masters degree in a medical field.

You could maybe write about music, but you should try your hand first . . . a lot of writers do reviews for Amazon as a way to just get their thoughts out there and practice writing reviews. Pick 20 of your favorite CDs and go at it!

The average rent here is around $1,000 a month. The rental market is very tight. You could maybe get something decent for $800, but for $500 - $600 that would be more like renting a room in someone's house. And again, you really need a car.

So, don't give up! Commuter is right . . just give yourself a bit more time, a year maybe. Get some wheels, save some more money, practice your craft, let the economy get better . . . . and THEN come on down! Nashville will still be here, along with your dreams. You just need fully formed wings, and I think you''re not quite there yet.

Best,
Country Girl

PS. With a degree in psychology, the only place I am thinking you MIGHT find something is with the VA? Here is the link. Maybe you can do outreach or something?

http://www2.va.gov/directory/GUIDE/facility.asp?id=95

Old 09-24-2012, 03:51 AM

Thanks, sorry for such a late reply but been working on some things lately. I did get a car a few days ago, a 2004 blue dodge neon which is great on gas. Still have over 2,000 saved up which isn't bad considering I put a 1,500 down payment on the car. Now looking to apply for a full-time supervisor position at another location of same company I am currently working for.

Old 09-24-2012, 07:26 AM

49,932 posts, read 59,894,485 times
Sounds like a plan!

Keep saving, and nail down that job before you consider moving.

Old 09-25-2012, 06:53 PM

914 posts, read 1,982,494 times
There are several GoodWill locations around Nashville, so hopefully you'll be able to get that manager's job with them. I would use Craigslist to look for housing. Be careful with it, and watch out for scams on Craigslist, but it is a good tool to use to find good housing at a better price. I think you'll have a tough time finding an apartment in one of the established apartment complexes for $500, but you should be able to find a room or studio for rent on Craigslist for that.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Tennessee > Nashville
View detailed profiles of: