Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Tennessee > Nashville
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-23-2012, 12:03 PM

230 posts, read 408,949 times

Advertisements

I'm coming down for work in September. I lived in TN for a year about 12 years ago. I lived off Briley Parkway.

Now my transfer opportunity is located on Hillsboro Road in Hillsboro West End. They rent, so they may not be there forever, but the office will probably always stay west due to the number of staff that live that direction.

We want to tour a few neighborhoods, not buying yet, just looking at what we can afford. We come from the midwest, so the prices are comparable to TN.

I always loved Franklin, so I want to show him around there. But what I'm looking for is nicer homes (newer or remodeled) in an area where there aren't small children. We are past child rearing and looking for a place to settle a while... love kids, but ready to move on from that. Which areas should we drive in to look around? Resale is important, just in case something changes down the line. I ended up unable to sell my house off Briley Parkway when I left before.

Also, I want to show him there is hunting and fishing in TN, without driving too far. What's the best place to go to show him it's not just a huge urban area?

Thanks! I plan to take him to the Loveless Cafe, maybe the Bluebird... we both love food, music and hiking , so I want to expose him to those things. I remember hiking in the Smokies East of Nashville, but I don't remember where or how long it took to get there. I remember hiking down and viewing gorgeous waterfalls. Can't for the life of me remember which park that was!

Ideas appreciated.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-23-2012, 12:04 PM

Default price range

forgot to mention a price range... hoping to stay around $250k!

Old 08-23-2012, 12:58 PM

610 posts, read 1,624,001 times
The Gulch, Hillsboro, Vandy, Midtown and East Nashville area would be great for y'all-Franklin is a very child-friendly city. These other areas are Nashville proper.
You should find something for 250K easily and most of these areas would be great for resale (check with realtors for shady pockets of East Nashville)
Hunting-plenty spots around Lebanon. My hubby is a duck hunter. They also go wild turkey hunting.
Hiking-Radnor, East TN (Gatlinburg) will be about 3 hours away.
Fishing-several lakes around, but not sure of the public fishing, I know hubs fishes with friends in Gallatin/Hendersonville (30-45 min away). Y'all could also maybe rent a pontoon to boat on your upcoming visit?

Old 08-23-2012, 02:01 PM

3,760 posts, read 7,090,694 times
Here are houses in your price range in Franklin. I really don't think you can find something totally Kid-Free unless you move to an over 55 place. Fieldstone Farms is a huge development but they do have an over 55 section with one story homes . . a bit tight but no kids. I think it's called Windsor Park but you'd search under Fieldstone Farms.

This is from realtracs.com which is a great place to start looking for things in your price range. This is for Franklin in Fieldstone Farms but there's some nice places in Davidson County/Brentwood (which is NOT Williamson County Brentwood) if you don't care about schools. Look for Fredricksburg Way between Old Hickory and Cloverland.

RealTracs Real Estate Mid-South Search Results

Old 08-24-2012, 08:00 AM

thanks! I should say I do care about schools when considering resale. I remember looking at Fieldstone Farms when I bought off Briley Parkway 12 years ago. how I wish I'd have bought there.... I probably could have resold the place when I had to move to WI.

Thanks! We'll check those areas out. He definitely wants to see Hendersonville due to all the water, but for me it would be a long commute to work.

Old 08-24-2012, 08:54 AM

The people across the street sold their house in 2 weeks. The people behind us - that house has been for sale for 6 months. I guess it's price? I haven't been in it but never see an Open House sign. But the houses here at least seem to hold their value fairly well. I also like River Rest and Cottonwood but Cottonwood was hit hard by the flooding so be sure to ask about that if you see a little stream anywhere near the house.

I do really like the location - Grassland, Berry's Chapel. I find it easy to get places AND there are lots of sneaky back roads.

The Loveless is fun but packed on the weekends. I'll ask my hiking friend about the waterfall park - I think it's a drive from here but nice to see some nature!

Old 08-24-2012, 09:00 AM

What about renting? Are there houses available for rent in these areas?... in order to move before making a decision? We have to sell our house here and I have a few pet parrots. I'd like to get them out before we put our house up for sale!

Old 08-24-2012, 10:15 AM

86 posts, read 210,816 times
The waterfall park was probably Fall Creek Falls, a couple hours east and a beautiful drive. I took my wife there earlier this year for our second anniversary, and we'll most likely go back at some point. The trail to the bottom of the falls is steep, but it is a really fun hike. If you decide to stay overnight, I would definitely recommend Cozy Cabins and Cottages a few miles away. The cabin we stayed in (Moose Lodge) was fantastic and the price was reasonable too.

Old 08-24-2012, 10:37 AM

Fall Creek Falls, that sounds right! If the drive is beautiful too, I'm in!

Old 08-24-2012, 11:09 AM

Rentals are tight at the moment. And in terms of MY tiny corner of Fieldstone Farms, in Trent Park you are not supposed to rent out your house. They do make exceptions but they were afraid of it being a totally rented neighborhood. There is one for $1400 but I think that's high, unless you really want to rent a house with a yard. And another one for $1800.

You can look for houses for rent on realtracs, too.

My hiker friend also confirmed Fall Creek Falls (duh!)

Here is a link - it's a state park!

http://tn.gov/environment/parks/FallCreekFalls/

Last edited by CountryGirl2b=; 08-24-2012 at 11:24 AM..
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Tennessee > Nashville