Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Tennessee > Nashville
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 09-16-2012, 03:13 PM

101 posts, read 175,921 times

Advertisements

Hi!

I am going to be in Nashville this week and will have one evening free. I will be by myself as I have an interview the next afternoon.

Not looking for anything hectic.

Was thinking, either Pucket Grocery or Loveless cafe for dinner, then checking out the Bluebird Cafe for some music. Then next morning Pancake Pantry for early breakfast.

I know both restaurants also have music as well so I could always stay there to listen. But I want to be in places that are in neighborhoods so I can explore or at least see the area. And I want them to be with good Nashville vibes.

Very excited to visit even though it's a short time.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-16-2012, 03:26 PM

49,926 posts, read 60,193,302 times
In which part of town is your hotel? Will you have a rental car?

If you are staying in downtown Nashville, the "real" Puckett's and Loveless are quite a drive. The Bluebird also is in the middle of a congested part of town with no hotels nearby. Just pinpoint everything on a map.

The Puckett's in downtown Nashville has a great vibe, decent food and live music. You could go there then safely walk up and down Broadway to get a bit of the honky-tonk feel.

That would be my advice for a first-time, one-nighter. To me, the Bluebird is a silghtly more advanced level of Nashville tourism only because it is an unusual experience for most, if you don't go to many "songwriter in the round" performances. It also is kind of a high-maintenance experience, with lots of waiting in line, cramped seating and "will I get a reservation" anxiety.

As for Pancake Pantry, it's never too early in the morning to head over there and avoid a 2-hour line. Even later in the week (Th/Fr) you can find a line as Vandy parents and alumni are in town for games.

We have tons of good, independent restaurants. If you want, you could eat somewhere in Green Hills, like Table 3, then head over to The Bluebird. But go to the Bluebird website today and check their schedule to see if the show on your night has openings.

Are you saying you also need to look at neighborhoods for a potential move?

Last edited by BirdieBelle; 09-16-2012 at 03:34 PM..

Old 09-16-2012, 06:37 PM

101 posts, read 175,921 times
I am staying at the holiday inn Vanderbilt and will have a car.

Well if I am offered the job I Will consider it but for now I want to at least drive around a few areas and check out a few main areas of the city.

Old 09-16-2012, 06:59 PM

49,926 posts, read 60,193,302 times
That is a great place to stay. The hotel "lounge," The Commodore Grill, actually has decent songwriter nights there quite often if you just want to stick your head in for a bit. It's kind of an entry-level place, so you might see the next big star when they're still a nobody!

One nice way to see a good part of Nashville is to get on 21st Avenue near Broadway/West End, drive through the Vanderbilt area and on out past 440, where it turns into Hillsboro Pike. That area, Green Hills, is a busy, upscale retail and residential area. The Bluebird is out that way on Hillsboro tucked into a strip mall.

I'm sure others will chime in soon ...

Old 09-17-2012, 12:05 PM

610 posts, read 1,629,177 times
You're right in the heart of Nashville. If you can, just drive around where Wmsn said-could start out downtown, the Gulch, Midtown, Vanderbilt, Hillsboro, Green Hills, then if you have an extra 30 minutes, continue driving into Brentwood and Franklin. They're nice suburbs of Nashville.
Just a note, I've been here 3 years and still haven't been to the original Puckett's, Loveless, Pancake Pantry, or the Bluebird Cafe. I prefer the non-touristy places-makes me feel more like I fit in.
You can watch the long line at Pancake Pantry next door from Jackson's, which does a great brunch. Tavern and Whiskey Kitchen are two places I recommend for dinner and ambiance. No live music though. Music calendar here: Nashville Scene | Events | Music

Old 09-17-2012, 12:48 PM

3,828 posts, read 8,497,503 times
^ check that link for a great music calendar.

I agree with Wmsm...I'd probably bypass the Bluebird for my first trip if it were only a day or less. You're in a great part of town for entertainment. I wouldn't stray too far away from the West End area...I'd research areas like Hillsboro Village (where the Pancake Pantry is), the Gulch, and 12South for restaurants and entertainment. Also check out the restaurants around nearby Elliston Place (Rotier's is a local gem...often voted "best cheeseburger", so too is Elliston Place Soda Shop...but also check out the Exit/In for live music depending on who's there). The Commodore does have a well-regarded writer's night.

While you're driving, be sure to drive across West End Avenue to Centennial Park...it has the world's only full scale replica of the Parthenon. A real gem in the city's park system.

You can always hit the Broadway/2nd Avenue areas for the typical tourist district, which is worth checking out for sure at some point.

If you really want to live like a local, dive into East Nashville...several joints there have regular writers' nights and/or local artists regularly booked. The Family Wash comes to mind. Lots of musicians live in East Nashville and it's a very eclectic part of town...but a good 20 minute drive from your hotel.

As for the Pancake Pantry...it gets all kinds of accolades but I've never been a huge fan. It's fine. Just not my thing. If you go on a weekday there probably won't be a long wait.

Best of luck in your interview and trip. Let us know if you have more questions.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2022 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Tennessee > Nashville