Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Tennessee > Nashville
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 10-22-2012, 06:10 PM

147 posts, read 333,860 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Carps5 View Post
My husband and I moved to Hendersonville a little over 11 years ago. I'm from Memphis and heWe also considered Brentwood and Franklin before deciding on Hville. I wanted new build, all the amenities, and great schools, but had no interest in the "keeping up with the Jones" mentality. That's exactly what you'll find here.
I wish people that have never lived in Brentwood or Franklin would stop commenting on what it's like to live there. Yes, some people in this area have money. No, most of them aren't snobby or trying to "one up" their neighbors. You like your city, that's fine. Try promoting it without bashing other communities in the area. I've never seen any of the Williamson County posters degrade a place for being below their standards

Old 10-22-2012, 07:56 PM

1,432 posts, read 3,835,637 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by YallWantHam View Post
I wish people that have never lived in Brentwood or Franklin would stop commenting on what it's like to live there. Yes, some people in this area have money. No, most of them aren't snobby or trying to "one up" their neighbors. You like your city, that's fine. Try promoting it without bashing other communities in the area. I've never seen any of the Williamson County posters degrade a place for being below their standards

I think you read too much into that post...the poster didn't really say anything negative about Brentwood or Franklin just that they visited them and preferred Hendersonville. I've also definitely seen some posts by Franklin or Brentwood proponents that say they visited Hendersonville, Mt Juliet, Murfessboro etc and have listed their reasons for choosing not to move there.

Old 10-22-2012, 08:29 PM

49,932 posts, read 59,740,903 times
It's the repeated assumption that Williamson County has more of a "keeping up with the Joneses" mentality than Hendersonville that is objectionable.

Both areas have had an influx of growing families eager for new homes and ready to spend discretionary income on all manner of kid activities. Both have schools full of over-eager stay-home PTO moms with college degrees and a lot of time on their hands. Both have gyms and ball diamonds and inline skating rinks full of nearly-frustrated dads ready for their future Olympians to break out. Both have parks, the requisite shopping, churches, country clubs and YMCAs. Both areas also have people in need, and people ready to help.

The previous poster did not say they actually visited Brentwood and Franklin, only that they had "considered" it. As I said earlier in this thread, I don't understand how anyone could get an accurate read on the true attitude of a town of 37,000 from just a visit.

Last edited by BirdieBelle; 10-22-2012 at 08:37 PM..

Old 12-01-2012, 09:22 PM

1 posts, read 1,774 times
I have two houses, one in b'wood and one in h'ville. They are all great towns to live and raise kids; however just like every american town, they all have some problem.

1. safty. They are all very safe, I have never worried about safty in either towns.
2. education. B'wood is better, but just like every rich town, b'wood schools have drug problem. ravenwood is pretty bad on this issue although academically it's very strong. it depends on the kids, if he/she can make a good choice.
3. shopping. cools spring is cool but h'ville has developped so fast in recent years, honestly i don't feel any difference any more. (By the way, gas price is always cheaper in h'ville. every time before i go to b'wood, i always fill up my tank).
4. housing. needless to say, in average h'ville is much cheaper.
5. people. people in both towns are very nice. By the way it's common here (both b'wood and h'ville), we greet each other although we are actually strangers.
6. commuting to nashville. b'wood is better, hwy386 is a nightmare in the rush hours.

just my two-cents. Welcome to Tennessee.

Old 12-03-2012, 09:25 AM

8 posts, read 13,026 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Wmsn4Life View Post
It's the repeated assumption that Williamson County has more of a "keeping up with the Joneses" mentality than Hendersonville that is objectionable.

Both areas have had an influx of growing families eager for new homes and ready to spend discretionary income on all manner of kid activities. Both have schools full of over-eager stay-home PTO moms with college degrees and a lot of time on their hands. Both have gyms and ball diamonds and inline skating rinks full of nearly-frustrated dads ready for their future Olympians to break out. Both have parks, the requisite shopping, churches, country clubs and YMCAs. Both areas also have people in need, and people ready to help.

The previous poster did not say they actually visited Brentwood and Franklin, only that they had "considered" it. As I said earlier in this thread, I don't understand how anyone could get an accurate read on the true attitude of a town of 37,000 from just a visit.
Yes, I've visited Brentwood and Franklin on several occasions prior to even knowing I'd be moving to the Nashville area. The OP specifically mentioned not wanting a "keeping up with the Jones'" feel and that's why I directly responded to that idea. And agree with it or not, that is the feel *I* got when I was there. I said nothing against the people there. It's not unusual for an area that has a lot of money to also have a lot of "material" and that often gives off the vibe of keeping up with the Jones', since that's what the expression means. It has nothing to do with whether or not the people in the area are nice. I'm confident they are.

For me personally, which is the only person I was claiming to speak for, Hendersonville has a lot of areas with a lot of money but it doesn't have that Jones feel overall. So yes, I got an accurate read and I gave MY opinion.

Old 01-19-2013, 03:56 PM

96 posts, read 234,161 times
I know this is late but better late than never? Hendersonville is very nice. I can't tell you a lot about it. But, I can tell you about Brentwood and Franklin. I was curious why you didn't mention Franklin? Brentwood is full of people who aren't from Brentwood. Drug use is pretty high in Brentwood at the schools. Franklin, on the other hand, has some amazing schools. It is much more down to earth and you might get the same "feel" there that you did from Hendersonville. I would highly suggest going a few miles south of Brentwood when you are down next trip and check out Franklin. Good luck!

Old 01-19-2013, 04:43 PM

49,932 posts, read 59,740,903 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by lotr1967 View Post
Drug use is pretty high in Brentwood at the schools.

...said the person with no kids in Brentwood schools and therefore no idea.

Old 01-19-2013, 05:01 PM

@YallWantHam: I lived in Franklin almost 4 years as a single Mom. Best 4 years of my son's life. I didn't make a lot of money and lived near Hard Bargain. It was a real stretch for me. But, it was worth it. I have a college degree and it was still difficult for me. I know other's who live there because they want a good education and loving people to be around their children. Franklin isn't perfect but I will never have a bad thing to say about it. Looking forward to moving back to Tennessee this year, myself.

Old 01-19-2013, 05:03 PM

@Wmsn4life Please read what I just posted. My son has friends from Brentwood. And your response is the very reason I would never consider Brentwood and just gives the poster more credibility when they say that they felt more welcome in Hendersonville.

Old 01-19-2013, 05:05 PM

Furthermore, as Tennessean's, aren't we supposed to be embracing newcomers instead of indulging in pissing contests? I truly hope that the poster sees this and realized that Brentwood is the only one wanting to participate in this contest. The rest of us could care less who is "better". We just care about other people and their best interest.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Tennessee > Nashville