Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Tennessee > Nashville
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-22-2012, 03:09 PM

813 posts, read 2,031,772 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by JoninATX View Post
Congrats Nashville on luring Ikea. The one I go to in Austin had recently expanded and was just built 6 yrs ago, overall Ikea nice and has decent furniture I go every now and then. Btw, this is the first I've heard about the 2 million rule.
Nothing is set in stone. IKEA is still denying that they have any "plans" to open a store in Nashville. Of course, that doesn't mean they are not well into negotiations. These major retailers usually play it close to the vest until they dot their I's and cross their T's.

I think the 2 million in a 60 mile radius is more of a guideline for them, but clearly not a bright-line rule as they have a handful of stores in North America in markets smaller.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-22-2012, 05:20 PM

6,662 posts, read 13,333,679 times
If 60 miles is the guideline, we're already there. Our 60 mile radius population was 1.8 million in 2000. Our metro grew by 278,000 in the last 10 years alone. 60 miles includes Clarksville, Columbia, Shelbyville, part of Manchester, half of Bowling Green, Russelville, and all of the Fort Campbell area. We're probably around 2.15 million right now, if not a little more.

Old 10-22-2012, 05:54 PM

914 posts, read 1,983,949 times
If one does come, I don't see it locating anywhere except Cool Springs, Green Hills or possible the Northwestern Mutual site in the North Gulch. Cool Springs and Green Hills are clearly the retail centers of this part of the state. I mention the Northwestern Mutual site because it puts it in the middle of Nashville's urban housing boom, is central to the entire metro area, has the ability to anchor a revolutionary mixed use development, and is near the junction of I-24, I-40, and I-65.

Now whether or not they do come is another questions. Nashville is the type of market they want.....young, hip, plenty of urban living options. The 2 million mark is probably not that big of an issue at this point. The Nashville MSA is on pace to hit 2 million by 2020-2022, and is already there if including other nearby metros within 60 miles. At the earliest, it wouldn't open until 2015, and more likely 2016 or 2017 which would put the MSA population at 1.8-1.9 million. However, opening a Nashville store will definitely cut into the business of the Atlanta store and to a much lesser degree the Cincinnati store by pulling people from Kentucky here. They may be able to open stores in other similar markets without risking the revenue of other existing stores.

Old 10-22-2012, 08:02 PM

1,432 posts, read 3,843,883 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hey_Hey View Post
If one does come, I don't see it locating anywhere except Cool Springs, Green Hills or possible the Northwestern Mutual site in the North Gulch. Cool Springs and Green Hills are clearly the retail centers of this part of the state. I mention the Northwestern Mutual site because it puts it in the middle of Nashville's urban housing boom, is central to the entire metro area, has the ability to anchor a revolutionary mixed use development, and is near the junction of I-24, I-40, and I-65.

Now whether or not they do come is another questions. Nashville is the type of market they want.....young, hip, plenty of urban living options. The 2 million mark is probably not that big of an issue at this point. The Nashville MSA is on pace to hit 2 million by 2020-2022, and is already there if including other nearby metros within 60 miles. At the earliest, it wouldn't open until 2015, and more likely 2016 or 2017 which would put the MSA population at 1.8-1.9 million. However, opening a Nashville store will definitely cut into the business of the Atlanta store and to a much lesser degree the Cincinnati store by pulling people from Kentucky here. They may be able to open stores in other similar markets without risking the revenue of other existing stores.
I've noticed that Ikea doesn't necessarily look for the "hottest" retail areas and I would guess Green Hills would have a 0% chance. I would think the Rivergate, Smyrna/Murfreesboro, and Mt Juliet/Lebanon areas would have a good shot as well along with Cool Springs and the downtown location. The Ikea here in Boston is located well over half an hour outside the city in a small town called Stoughton with no major mall or destination retail center around just some big box stores and furniture places. It definitely doesn't appear to be an affluent area.

Old 10-22-2012, 08:25 PM

722 posts, read 2,101,147 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by vivelafrance View Post
I've noticed that Ikea doesn't necessarily look for the "hottest" retail areas and I would guess Green Hills would have a 0% chance. I would think the Rivergate, Smyrna/Murfreesboro, and Mt Juliet/Lebanon areas would have a good shot as well along with Cool Springs and the downtown location. The Ikea here in Boston is located well over half an hour outside the city in a small town called Stoughton with no major mall or destination retail center around just some big box stores and furniture places. It definitely doesn't appear to be an affluent area.

That is correct. Ikea in the cities I have lived in, Ikea is always out a ways, Chandler, AZ, Frisco, TX, Bolingbrook and Schaumburg, IL.

Old 10-22-2012, 09:23 PM

256 posts, read 482,345 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by El Passeaux View Post
That is correct. Ikea in the cities I have lived in, Ikea is always out a ways, Chandler, AZ, Frisco, TX, Bolingbrook and Schaumburg, IL.
Since all we're doing is spit-balling here, this is the reason why I previously suggested Lebanon / Wilson County as a prime location. It would also be 30 miles closer to the C-towns and Knoxville (Hello Vols), compared to a site downtown.

Taxes might play a role, and Nashville/Metro is known for backing up the money truck to cover taxes for a company for years and years.

Old 10-22-2012, 09:55 PM

6,662 posts, read 13,333,679 times
The one in Portland is out by the airport. Any chance that a development like Buchanon Point near Donelson lands this?

Old 10-23-2012, 06:08 AM

49 posts, read 91,806 times
Quote:
At the earliest, it wouldn't open until 2015, and more likely 2016 or 2017
Mid 2015 at the latest. IF they can work out the details. IF.

Old 10-23-2012, 06:27 AM

914 posts, read 1,983,949 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by bigcitymike View Post
Since all we're doing is spit-balling here, this is the reason why I previously suggested Lebanon / Wilson County as a prime location. It would also be 30 miles closer to the C-towns and Knoxville (Hello Vols), compared to a site downtown.

Taxes might play a role, and Nashville/Metro is known for backing up the money truck to cover taxes for a company for years and years.
Of course it would also be 30 minutes further from Memphis, Louisville, jackson, Huntsville, and bowling green, and just as far for Chattanooga.

Old 10-23-2012, 06:39 AM

13,353 posts, read 39,963,688 times
Quote:
Of course it would also be 30 minutes further from Memphis, Louisville, jackson, Huntsville, and bowling green, and just as far for Chattanooga.
Exactly, which is why I think the original location just west of downtown Nashville would be the best. When IKEA went into Atlanta they built just a few blocks north of downtown smack in the middle of the city. It has been wildly successful. Being close to Nashville's hip urban neighborhoods but also right off an interstate (I-40 in this case) would be perfect.

IMPORTANT READING:
Terms of Service

---
its - possession
it's - contraction of it is
your - possession
you're - contraction of you are
their - possession
they're - contraction of they are
there - referring to a place
loose - opposite of tight
lose - opposite of win
who's - contraction of who is
whose - possession
alot - NOT A WORD
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Tennessee > Nashville