Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Tennessee > Nashville
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 10-26-2012, 06:48 AM

5 posts, read 6,470 times

Advertisements

Ok, last Friday my brother was involved in a car accident. The guy involved didn't want to call the police and he said he would pay whatever. My brother has full coverage on his car and I think the guy didn't have insurance that's why he didn't want the cops involved! They did exchange phone numbers, my brother wrote down his driver license number and address. They have been in contact every other day until now, the guy is not picking the phone. What should my brother do? I'm sure it's too late to file a police report now. I told him he was an idiot for not calling the police! Btw, the wreck caused damaged to my brothers fender and the other guy really no damage from what he told me! It was going to be a $250 deductible. What should he do now? Thanks!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-26-2012, 07:20 AM

957 posts, read 3,699,977 times
If it was on a public road, cops really should have been called. That's really the only way you can prove to the insurance company what happened. If it was on private property with no injuries, cops wouldn't have come anyway. Without a police report or a statement from the guy that caused the damage admitting fault, he's probably going to be stuck with paying a deductible....If he has collision. Without collision, he'll be SOL.

Old 10-26-2012, 07:26 AM

49,927 posts, read 59,944,601 times
He's not required to call the police unless there's a certain amount of property damage. I can't remember the amount. It's not too late to file a police report, and his insurance company most likely will need it for the claim.

The other guy might have had outstanding warrants also. You never know.

As far as pursuing the other guy for payment, your brother is probably SOL.

Old 10-26-2012, 09:05 AM

5 posts, read 6,470 times
From what he told me it happened on Murfreesboro Rd in Nashville. If he files a police report would the police look for him, should he still file a report? The guy didn't live in Nashville, he lived in Jackson, TN. Also, the other guy didn't have any warrants or anything like that because I checked it online from a company I work for. I just think no insurance.

Old 10-26-2012, 09:30 AM

3,828 posts, read 8,472,204 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by rossc View Post
If it was on private property with no injuries, cops wouldn't have come anyway.
I've (unfortunately) had 2 instances of this happening and can say the police will come (at least in Hendersonville). First was a simple fender bender in a private parking lot with no injuries. The police made a report. Second was a situation where someone hit my car while I was inside a restaurant, said they didn't, and drove off even though witnesses tried to stop him. Police came, tracked the license plate and showed up at his door and took his statement down. He agreed to pay for all damage and didn't go through insurance (this guy was a semi-prominant local dentist which helped credibility in spite of the fact he was a jerk for leaving the scene of an accident before the damage could be confirmed). Still, we handled it without the insurance company but I did everything very strict...everything done by overnight or registered mail. Requested a cashier's check (guaranteed funds) for compensation within 10 days or else I was reporting it...etc. It worked out, but today I'd probably file with the insurance company and tell him to stick it if it happened again.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wmsn4Life View Post
As far as pursuing the other guy for payment, your brother is probably SOL.
Agreed.

I would definitely have him call the police precinct where the accident occurred and report it. It couldn't hurt. And if your brother has a uninsured motorist rider on his policy (most do) then it might offset his deductable for the damage. But they'll need a traffic report and you can't get that without the police getting involved.

Depending where on Murfreesboro Road it was on it would be either the South Precinct (615-862-7744) or Hermitage (615-880-1776). Murf Rd is a dividing line between those 2 precincts so it could be either one. I'd start with South first.

Police Precinct map and contacts

Old 10-27-2012, 06:50 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by DonCorleone View Post
I've (unfortunately) had 2 instances of this happening and can say the police will come (at least in Hendersonville).
Not in Nashville. We got hit in the post office parking lot. It was our brand new truck with 600 miles. He hit the side of the truck, then hit the gas instead of the brake. Almost $8000 damage. The cops said no injuries, no cops. They directed us to a website to report the accident.

His insurance paid, but it too a few weeks. His address and phone number was bad, so it took some time for his own insurance company to track him down for a statement. They said that without a police report or a statement admitting guilt from the insured, they would not pay. My insurance would have paid with me paying the deductible, then if they were able to recover the costs from his insurance company, I'd get the deductible back.

Old 10-27-2012, 08:26 AM

3,760 posts, read 7,090,694 times
The guy that hit me was not charged even though it was his fault. Found this out after getting a copy of the police report. He admitted it was his fault to the officer AND to his insurance company but there is nothing in the police report that says that. HE hit ME so isn't that sort of proof enough? Unless I rad a red light or something? The police DID call. I called the non emergency number for the Brentwood Police Dept. And now I have the non emergency number in my cell phone along with my insurance company, AAA, etc.

Had another incident in a parking lot (in Connecticut). The police came but said it was private property. Is the post office parking lot "private" property?

I do think this is when cell phone cameras come in handy. I took photos of my damage, HIS damage, a general pic of the intersection (showing it wasn't raining or foggy) AND his license plate!

He did write down his info but now I realize he could have written anything. At least with the license plate in my picture they should be able to eventually track him down.

Old 10-27-2012, 11:28 AM

24 posts, read 41,135 times
In Tennessee, all accidents that involve personal injury, death, and property damage that exceeds $50 must be reported to police.

Accidents must also be reported to the Tennessee Department of Safety if it's classified "reportable." This means anyone involved in these kinds of accidents must report them to the DOS in addition to a local law enforcement agency within 20 days of the accident. Such reportable accidents include those that involve personal injury, death, and property damage that exceeds $400. You can pick up an accident report form from the law enforcement agency or your local Highway Patrol office. You can also find a report form online.

Note that if you don't report the accident within the allotted amount of time, your driver's license may be suspended.

Old 10-28-2012, 07:36 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by peanut423 View Post
In Tennessee, all accidents that involve personal injury, death, and property damage that exceeds $50 must be reported to police.
True...But if it's on private property, there are no injuries and it's in Nashville, the cops will not respond. As I mentioned previously, they did direct us to a website to report the accident.

According to the Metro cops, the post office on Fesslers Lane is private property.

Old 10-31-2012, 09:27 AM

201 posts, read 320,062 times
Good to learn this. Very different from back in Canada but now I know in case we come into this situation.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Tennessee > Nashville