Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Tennessee > Nashville
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-17-2012, 07:35 PM

247 posts, read 751,307 times

Advertisements

I have an appt at St Thomas at 8:00 followed by vanderbilt soon after so I'm worried about traffic. Which areas should I avoid? or use?

Also, hotel-wise, I have been reading horrible reviews online for several hotels on Whitebridge road which seem to be the cheapest. Any recommendations elsewhere?

I like it to be safe and in a good area but I also don't like paying $100+ to sleep for one night (yes, I know I'm cheap). I looked into the Loews Hotel which was nice and around that price with my company discount but then you get into having to pay for parking which I don't want to do.

suggestions?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-18-2012, 11:29 AM

216 posts, read 346,659 times
um, you get what you pay for? Cheap hotel = horrible review most times. As far as traffic, simply leave early for the St. Thomas appt., then head straight over on Harding Pike/West End Ave/70 S afterward for your Vandy appt. Take that all the way to 21st Ave and take a right, then zip down a block or 2 and Vanderbilt is on your right. Traffic's going to be whatever it's going to be - there's nothing you can do about that, but stay off the freeways. Besides, the 2 places you're talking about (St. Thomas/Vanderbilt) don't require you to get on the freeway to get from one to the other. Park Valet at Vanderbilt to save yourself some time if you're dealing with the medical side of things. Valet is right by the ER entrance; just follow the signs for Adult ER once you go down 21st ave. They will be in red. Good luck.

Old 11-20-2012, 04:09 PM

247 posts, read 751,307 times
Freeways bad at that time?? If we decide to drive from Clarksville, how bad would it be?

Old 11-20-2012, 04:29 PM

3,760 posts, read 7,089,772 times
Did you get a hotel yet? The hotels in Brentwood, Old Hickory Exit, at at least in a safe place. We stayed at the Mainstay Suites when we first arrived. House wasn't ready to move into yet. They are in the $100 range - not sure of your date so couldn't check.

Brentwood Hotels: Check out 19 hotels, with 1,208 reviews

There are back streets up to St. Thomas . . Hillsboro or Granny White to Woodmont . . lots of options. Someone else might know the best surface streets. I mean, maybe even Old Hickory to Chickering??

Old 11-20-2012, 04:49 PM

2,888 posts, read 6,741,656 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by CountryGirl2b= View Post
Did you get a hotel yet? The hotels in Brentwood, Old Hickory Exit, at at least in a safe place. We stayed at the Mainstay Suites when we first arrived. House wasn't ready to move into yet. They are in the $100 range - not sure of your date so couldn't check.

Brentwood Hotels: Check out 19 hotels, with 1,208 reviews

There are back streets up to St. Thomas . . Hillsboro or Granny White to Woodmont . . lots of options. Someone else might know the best surface streets. I mean, maybe even Old Hickory to Chickering??
Given the traffic in that area, they might have a hard time getting to St Thomas. It could take a while.
And it's easy to get turned around if you're not familiar with the area.

The White Bridge Road area or Bellevue would be easier for them to get around.

Old 11-20-2012, 05:47 PM

813 posts, read 2,031,580 times
Ziggy's directions and suggestions are spot-on. No reason to take the highway during rush hour if you're staying at a hotel nearby. I take White Bridge to West End to get onto 440 each weekday between 8-9:30ish. It's always busy but rarely the bumper-to-bumper grind like it is on the same stretch during evening rush hour. I can't speak to the quality of the hotels on White Bridge, but it's a safe area.

Old 11-20-2012, 06:10 PM

49,927 posts, read 59,935,627 times
If you stay in Clarksville you will have to get up at the crack of dawn to beat rush hour traffic.

Just get a room at the Red Roof Inn on Sidco Drive.

Red Roof Inn Nashville Fairgrounds (Nashville, TN) - Hotel Reviews - TripAdvisor

(Be sure to enjoy the biker vacation photos on Trip Advisor!) This place is not rowdy, though. And there is no steel mill next door. Not sure what the heck that person was talking about. The Red Roof Inn is right next to the interstate, but it is cheap and clean and very easily accessible. I've had family stay there multiple times.

The area around it is safer than the Charlotte Ave./White Bridge Road area you were talking about before. Then you can leave around 7 and take I-65 to I-440 to West End ave, or go straight across Harding Road to West End if you prefer surface streets.

Last edited by BirdieBelle; 11-20-2012 at 07:32 PM.. Reason: fix link

Old 11-20-2012, 06:37 PM

222 posts, read 639,091 times
I read that goofy bad review regarding a steel mill too. The poor girl puts "a" where there should be "an" way too many times for me to take anything she says seriously. I know it's wrong to judge based on article use, but please.

Old 11-20-2012, 07:40 PM

3,047 posts, read 3,313,831 times
There isn't much choice on the west side. You may get lucky at a Hampton Inn Bellevue near I-40 on US70S. There is a Microtel nearby. I suspect both get travelers off I-40 needing a night or 2 to stay. At least the location you chose should be reasonably safe with the new police station nearby.

I'm surprised your search didn't pick up other locations near Lowe's. The Lowe's Vanderbilt is one of the best hotels in Nashville or the USA. Not cheap but you get what you pay for.

From there, follow 70S to your appointment. Traffic will be slow that time of day, and parking at St Thomas will be tricky. You need to let the folks at St Thomas give you more specific instructions. I'd allow an hour from Bellevue to be on time. From St Thomas to Vanderbilt may be just as congested until 9. There isn't any easier route. The Interstate goes the wrong way to save any time.

If you have time to do a Google search using the MTA bus system, they can also give you an idea of how long the journey will take. There is a #3 bus that begins from Charlotte/ White Bridge (Shoney's across from Walgreen). The route goes down White Bridge then turns to head past St Thomas & Vandy to downtown. From the Hampton Inn you may also be able to get a #5 bus to St Thomas & Vandy. At least it will give you a good picture of where you need to be.

Last edited by GWoodle; 11-20-2012 at 07:54 PM..

Old 11-21-2012, 08:01 AM

3,828 posts, read 8,471,263 times
Here's a Google search of "hotels near Vanderbilt University". There are a number of other hotels other than the Loews' on West End. There is a Holiday Inn Express, a Marriott, Hampton Inn, and a few others. I actually think this doesn't quite show all of them. Personally, I would probably pay the extra money to have the knowledge I was close to St. Thomas and Vandy if I was very concerned about the commute. But obviously that's your call.

Best of luck in the appointments.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Tennessee > Nashville