Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Tennessee > Nashville
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-23-2012, 04:09 PM

50 posts, read 108,476 times

Advertisements

My family and I went touring around to a bunch of neighborhoods with a realtor today and have decided we might want to narrow our search to Westhaven or McKays Mill. We are looking in the mid to upper 300k's so if we choose Westhaven we'd be looking at a detatched townhome (gorgeous), or in McKays Mill a house but not as high end in quality as the townhome. I think what it really comes down to is where we will be happiest as a family and where the kids will love living the most as far as amenities. Kids are 3.5 and 7. Any opinions either way would be most appreciated!! Thanks!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-24-2012, 07:32 AM

372 posts, read 593,014 times
Westhaven amenities sound glorious to me and I love the pristine landscaping! The only drawback is location, but it never really bothered me when we were house hunting. Mckays Mill seems to have a really convenient location--easy access to Cool Springs and I-65. The houses do seem hit or miss, quality wise.

If I could easily afford it, I think I would go with Westhaven.

Curious as to what your other impressions were driving around.

Old 11-24-2012, 08:56 AM

3,760 posts, read 7,086,830 times
Westhaven is beautiful but . . . a little TOO perfect for my taste. I also felt it was 'off the beaten path' a bit. No doubt someone will buy the big empty lot across the street and put up a Target or something. McKay's Mill is closer to 65 and the mall, hospital, etc. I guess it would be more 'convenient'? Hadn't noticed the hit or miss quality.

Do you get any kind of yard with either one of your options? I have a very small back yard with our house in Fieldstone and the longer I live here, the more I appreciate it EVEN THOUGH I have failed miserably with trying to grow zucchini three summers in a row . . . .

Best of luck deciding!

Old 11-24-2012, 04:31 PM

2,428 posts, read 5,543,931 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by CountryGirl2b= View Post
Westhaven is beautiful but . . . a little TOO perfect for my taste. I also felt it was 'off the beaten path' a bit. No doubt someone will buy the big empty lot across the street and put up a Target or something. McKay's Mill is closer to 65 and the mall, hospital, etc. I guess it would be more 'convenient'? Hadn't noticed the hit or miss quality.

Do you get any kind of yard with either one of your options? I have a very small back yard with our house in Fieldstone and the longer I live here, the more I appreciate it EVEN THOUGH I have failed miserably with trying to grow zucchini three summers in a row . . . .

Best of luck deciding!
I'm pretty sure the property across the street is protected farm land.

The town homes in WH are gorgeous. My personal preference would be either to be on Pearl St so the kids have all the open space of the creek to play or over Tabitha (again for the open space in the front). All the town homes have at least a small courtyard.

The school in WH is good and lots of families walk to school so easy to meet other families.

McKays wins on location but you get more for your money in Westhaven (better finishes, etc).

Old 11-25-2012, 08:22 AM

627 posts, read 1,845,718 times
We rented in McKay's Mill when we moved here and I have a friend who lives in Westhaven.

I put the analysis like this:

Westhaven - More of a community feel. Higher end, smaller homes for the money. Tiny lots with almost no yard. Hard to get to the Interstate / Cool Springs, but you do have the Harris Teeter, dry cleaners, booze hut, etc. right in the subdivision. You are stuck with their cable / internet provider, unless you want to pay double to get your own provider in addition to the monthly assessments. I believe their monthly assessments are higher even if you take into account the fact you are paying for cable/internet.

McKay's Mill - Easy access to I-65 and Cool Springs. Middle of the road, larger homes for the money. You do get a small yard. Publix is right there for grocery needs.

Both have piles of kids in the neighborhood, so finding friends shouldn't be a problem. They both have a nice pool.

Old 11-25-2012, 08:44 AM

3,760 posts, read 7,086,830 times
I learned the hard way that when you buy a house, NOTHING is guaranteed. Including the golf course behind you being sold and turned into a condominium complex. So, unless it's National Park Land, you never know about "protected farm land" . . . . NOT that this will ever happen, but it might.

I noticed the nice buffer strip of land in front of the Monticello subdivision (large one story older (1960's? homes on Hillsboro north of Franklin) is now for sale. Will be quite a change for those homeowners if it's zoned commercial, which I am guessing it will be.

Nice comparison TR!

Old 11-25-2012, 10:35 AM

372 posts, read 593,014 times
I agree about the farm land. Gentry Farm--across from Westhaven-- is doing their darndest to keep their farm profitable but I'm guessing it's a struggle.

Old 11-25-2012, 11:31 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by citymama View Post
I agree about the farm land. Gentry Farm--across from Westhaven-- is doing their darndest to keep their farm profitable but I'm guessing it's a struggle.
Obviously things could change but the long-term zoning map I saw (I can't seem to find it now) a few years back showed it permanently farm land and not a potential development zone while other farms were possible development zones. In any case the city has a moratorium on building much beyond Westhaven on west side of town until the Mack Hatcher has completed its entire loop and at the rate that's going it probably won't be complete until 2030.

Old 11-25-2012, 01:12 PM

49,932 posts, read 59,901,366 times
Gentry Farm is one of the Tennessee Century Farms, which means it's been operated by the same family continuously for at least 100 years.

But the Century Farm designation offers no protection from development and places no legal restrictions on the land. The Land Trust of Tennessee does that: places conservation easements on large parcels to protect/exempt them from development.

So the farm is still the Gentry's to do with what they wish.

It will be a good long while before that stretch of 96 near Westhaven is filled in, though. McEwen is the next huge boom area.

Old 11-26-2012, 03:46 AM

I'd worry about as much about the possibility of Gentry farm being developed as I would about access to McKays Mill once all the Cool Springs Office space on Carothers opens up.

To OP, I think the biggest deciding factor would/should be do you want town house living or a single family. Both have their pluses and minuses.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Tennessee > Nashville