Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Tennessee > Nashville
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-18-2012, 07:27 PM

13,350 posts, read 39,938,649 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Why_Am_I_Here View Post
Try south of Murfreesboro...(Kittrell, Woodbury). and not sure where you got your info, but most of the areas off I-24 are fine....
The OP specifically wants to be closer to Nashville, not farther away.

IMPORTANT READING:
Terms of Service

---
its - possession
it's - contraction of it is
your - possession
you're - contraction of you are
their - possession
they're - contraction of they are
there - referring to a place
loose - opposite of tight
lose - opposite of win
who's - contraction of who is
whose - possession
alot - NOT A WORD
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-20-2012, 12:54 PM

909 posts, read 1,062,496 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Why_Am_I_Here View Post
Try south of Murfreesboro...(Kittrell, Woodbury). and not sure where you got your info, but most of the areas off I-24 are fine....
Stay away from Kittrell. Seriously. Don't even consider it.

Old 12-21-2012, 07:24 AM

3 posts, read 7,800 times
Thanks so much for all the suggestions! I took some time this week and drove around. First impressions: Donelson - some good streets but I do think the commute would be tough; Crieve Hall - nice lots, houses have potential with exterior changes to update the ranch look, easier commute. What about the area around Granbery Elementary? Is that still Crieve Hall? And the neighborhoods on the other side of Old Hickory on that end - are those Brentwood or Nashville? I wish the budget was a little larger - loved Oak Hills and Forest Hills. This is tough! Nashville is so diverse - so many hidden gems but takes time to explore. The feedback here is invaluable!

Old 12-21-2012, 10:04 AM

49,932 posts, read 59,901,366 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mtsuprof View Post
Is that still Crieve Hall? And the neighborhoods on the other side of Old Hickory on that end - are those Brentwood or Nashville?
Most people I know just call the area immediately around the school "the Granbery area" or "Hill Road area." Sometimes I've heard it called "Brentwood Hall."

All of Old Hickory Blvd. and the streets just south of it are in Nashville, even if it has a Brentwood address. The city of Brentwood doesn't start until you cross into Williamson County, south of Cloverland Dr. This thread covers that question pretty well:

//www.city-data.com/forum/nashv...brentwood.html

Old 12-21-2012, 12:43 PM

6,662 posts, read 13,325,072 times
Quote:
Thanks so much for all the suggestions! I took some time this week and drove around. First impressions: Donelson - some good streets but I do think the commute would be tough; Crieve Hall - nice lots, houses have potential with exterior changes to update the ranch look, easier commute. What about the area around Granbery Elementary? Is that still Crieve Hall? And the neighborhoods on the other side of Old Hickory on that end - are those Brentwood or Nashville? I wish the budget was a little larger - loved Oak Hills and Forest Hills. This is tough! Nashville is so diverse - so many hidden gems but takes time to explore. The feedback here is invaluable!
Ah, Granbery Elementary...my old stomping grounds!

Yeah, as Wmsn said, Granbery is sort of its own thing. A lot of it was developed slightly later than Crieve Hall. But it's more like Crieve Hall than Brentwood.

It's a pretty desirable area, very safe, fairly quiet, and there's a nice little park in the back of the school with a good sized walking track. But yeah...finding something for under $200k right around there would be extremely difficult. If I found something there in that range, I think I might be paranoid that there's something wrong with the house. But hey...you never know.

I think the Crieve Hall/Granberry/Cloverland area is one of the best picks in Nashville if you can find a house in the price range. It's a bit closer to downtown than most people seem to think (7-10 miles, and depending where you are only about 15-20 minutes driving, outside of rush hour). It's close to the more expensive and desirable areas of Brentwood and Oak Hill, so the prospect of your house retaining or gaining in value is good. Like I said, you can be downtown in about 15-20 minutes, Cool Springs in 10-15 minutes, Green Hills in 15-20 minutes, the airport in 20-25 minutes, Bellevue in 20-25 minutes, Smyrna in 25-30 minutes, Radnor Lake in 5-10 minutes, etc. etc. Murfreesboro/MTSU...I'm not going to lie...you would be lucky to make it to campus in under 45 minutes. And that's if you're doing 75-80 on I-24.

Old 12-21-2012, 04:30 PM

2,325 posts, read 2,650,692 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by nashvols View Post
Ah, Granbery Elementary...my old stomping grounds!

Yeah, as Wmsn said, Granbery is sort of its own thing. A lot of it was developed slightly later than Crieve Hall. But it's more like Crieve Hall than Brentwood.

It's a pretty desirable area, very safe, fairly quiet, and there's a nice little park in the back of the school with a good sized walking track. But yeah...finding something for under $200k right around there would be extremely difficult. If I found something there in that range, I think I might be paranoid that there's something wrong with the house. But hey...you never know.

I think the Crieve Hall/Granberry/Cloverland area is one of the best picks in Nashville if you can find a house in the price range. It's a bit closer to downtown than most people seem to think (7-10 miles, and depending where you are only about 15-20 minutes driving, outside of rush hour). It's close to the more expensive and desirable areas of Brentwood and Oak Hill, so the prospect of your house retaining or gaining in value is good. Like I said, you can be downtown in about 15-20 minutes, Cool Springs in 10-15 minutes, Green Hills in 15-20 minutes, the airport in 20-25 minutes, Bellevue in 20-25 minutes, Smyrna in 25-30 minutes, Radnor Lake in 5-10 minutes, etc. etc. Murfreesboro/MTSU...I'm not going to lie...you would be lucky to make it to campus in under 45 minutes. And that's if you're doing 75-80 on I-24.
Agree about the time to MTSU. I lived in that area when I was an undergrad at MTSU and it was no fun drive - especially in winter when you have to factor in that "scraping the windshield" thing. Ugh.

Old 01-03-2013, 10:39 PM

1,316 posts, read 3,903,549 times
Quote:
I'm a new professor at MTSU and have been renting in Murfreesboro this year. I'd like to be closer to Nashville and don't mind a 30-45 minute commute. I'd like to find an area where the homes are on large lots, at least 1/2 acre with privacy from neighbors. (Not a cookie cutter neighborhood with postage stamp sized yards.) An older home that needs some renovation would be okay. From reading through some of the threads, many of the areas between Nashville and Murfreesboro which are off 24 seem not to be safe. As a single female, safety is important to me but I would like to find something for $200k or less. Can you suggest specific zip codes or areas that I should look at, and tell me which ones I should avoid? Thanks!
good grief - you've been here a year and you haven't found an area you like?

Old 01-03-2013, 10:53 PM

6,662 posts, read 13,325,072 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by 12buttons View Post
good grief - you've been here a year and you haven't found an area you like?
I can see how someone who lives and works in Murfreesboro might not have had a good chance to explore all areas of the metro area.

Old 01-03-2013, 11:10 PM

1,432 posts, read 3,842,137 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by nashvols View Post
I can see how someone who lives and works in Murfreesboro might not have had a good chance to explore all areas of the metro area.

Agreed, as someone who has also just lived in a new city for about 1 year I know there's so much going on with moving, getting settled, the new job, etc that you don't have a lot of time for neighborhood exploring. Regardless, that's what why we have this board!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Tennessee > Nashville