U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Covid-19 Information Page
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Tennessee > Nashville
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 12-17-2012, 10:47 PM

2 posts, read 2,821 times

Advertisements

Hi,

We are considering moving to the Franklin area. We toured some homes with a realtor but were only shown homes in planned communities. While we like the idea of having a community with planned activities and a pool, we were underwhelmed by the cookie cutter houses and the small lots.

Ideally we would like something with a 1/3 to 1/2 acre lot, lots of kids, and a close-knit community. Good schools are a must as well. We won't know anyone there so it is really important to have a family-friendly neighborhood.

We are looking in the 400k range. Does this exist in the Franklin/Nashville area?

Thanks!
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-18-2012, 07:13 AM

49,990 posts, read 49,674,880 times
It's not going to be easy because most of Franklin's boom consisted of subdivisions built in and since the late '80s/early '90s.

Can you give us a few more details about what the ideal community and home would look like? Some of the older neighborhoods with more unique homes in your price range, like Temple Hills, may be established enough by now that they don't feel so cookie cutter. Are you totally opposed to coming home to a neighborhood that has a sign with the neighborhood name on it at the entrance?

Do you want a new home? Older? How many bedrooms etc?

Old 12-18-2012, 09:32 AM

5,051 posts, read 5,083,454 times
Are you okay with an older home and willing to look in Brentwood?
This is a fantastic older neighborhood, behind the Brentwood Library, near the trails, baseball fields, etc:
It's on a acre, so a little more land than you mentioned. Plenty of families in this neighborhood:
RealTracs Mid-South Real Estate Property Finder Listing Details

This list has another house in Brenthaven and one in Twin Springs, which would be similar:

Here's a pretty historic house close to downtown Franklin:
RealTracs Mid-South Real Estate Property Finder Media Display

That one may have flooded, so you would need to ask the agent. And it's not in a neighborhood at all, but it's also definitely not cookie cutter.

Here's a couple of examples in Temple Hills, which wmsn mentioned above:

RealTracs Mid-South Real Estate Property Finder Media Display

Temple Hills is not right in the heart of Franklin, it's closer to Bellevue and Belle Meade, so there are not as many neighborhoods close by, so I agree that you might like it better. It's also close to the Warner Parks.

Old 12-19-2012, 05:00 AM

2,357 posts, read 4,832,102 times
It is mostly subdivisions down, what do you mean by "planned community" because when I hear that term I think of McKays Mills, Fieldstone and Westhaven which all have their own little mix of condos and single family houses along with commercial

I'm not sure what the price point is but Chenowith off concord road in Brentwood has nice bigger lots, lots of families and a community pool.

Also, Cottonwood in Franklin might be another place to look.

Old 12-20-2012, 08:54 AM

3,722 posts, read 6,196,843 times
I wasn't wanting a 'planned community' either but there ARE pros to living in one. Some communities/developments are more 'planned' than others . . but of course, it is cheaper for a builder to build a bunch of houses than just one.

I understand your feelings, but urge you to at least look at a few houses that ARE in a 'subdivision' as you may be pleasantly surprised. AND most of the 'unplanned' houses are older.

Old 12-24-2012, 05:16 PM

2 posts, read 3,119 times
No

Look in Columbia or maybe Murfreesboro

Old 01-20-2013, 09:55 PM

2 posts, read 2,821 times
Thanks for all the responses. I just realized that there were responses to my post. We really like what we see in Temple Hills online. It almost seems too good to be true. Is there anything we should be concerned about in this community? Flooding?

Old 01-20-2013, 10:27 PM

49,990 posts, read 49,674,880 times
Temple Hills is a planned community, built around a golf course.

It is very pretty. The thing about it is that it is kind of awkwardly located. It is technically in Williamson County, but it orients more toward Bellevue as far as convenience to stores and restaurants. And driving Temple Road is no picnic.

It is VERY close to the locations of some of the worst flooding of the Harpeth, and there was some flooding in the area, but I don't remember reports of homes there being damaged as much. There is a big creek that runs behind Temple Road. Many of the homes are up on hills, though, so I would just ask about each home you are interested in.

Sometimes you can find footage of flooding in various neighborhoods on YouTube.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Tennessee > Nashville