Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Tennessee > Nashville
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-04-2013, 12:36 PM

3,828 posts, read 8,472,204 times

Advertisements

As others have said...these are worldwide recognized publications that are calling attention to our culinary achievements. And to clarify, I said we were "becoming known as a foodie mecca". Another way to word this might be "people who are fans of finding new and creative dishes are coming to Nashville to check us out". We're not a one stop destination to find every culinary creation on Earth yet, but we're carving out our own widely respected niche. Which is something to be proud of.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-04-2013, 03:30 PM

10,261 posts, read 21,753,123 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Wmsn4Life View Post
Not really our specialty.

I know it's not the same, but Cafe Bosna in Hermitage has very good and authentic Bosnian/eastern European food.
Yeah, I have three of those joints in my neighborhood. I find the food delicious while eating it but an hour later I feel sour.

A note about your pizza discussion and Chicago pizza; people out in the old neighborhoods usually eat thin crust pizza cut in squares. The crust is usually thinner and crispier than NY style and won't fold like NY pizza. The thick deep dish stuff generally known as "Chicago Style" is often called tourist pizza around here. I call it Date Pizza because when I took girls on dates in the 1960s it was a treat to take them downtown to Uno's, the original deep dish pizza joint. But in the neighborhood I took them to Sorrento's for thin crust cut in squares. If in Chicago go to Lou Malnati's, they do both deep dish and traditional "Chicago Thin" and do them very well.

Is BB Cutie still going down there? I remember stopping at the place on Rte. 41, it was very good.

Old 01-04-2013, 03:40 PM

49,927 posts, read 59,944,601 times
There are a couple BarbCuties still around.

I had Geno's and Lou's pizza while I was there last summer.

Chicago is definitely a great city.

Old 01-04-2013, 04:00 PM

6,662 posts, read 13,333,679 times
Bar-B-Cutie has undergone some sort of change in the past several years (either that, or I wasn't paying attention). I thought they used to be really so-so (sort of in the same league as Whitt's), but they seem to have re-branded a little bit. The food quality seems to be better than before. I wouldn't call it my favorite place...but it's certainly good for a quick Q fix.

I found out they're starting to franchise, with 2 in Georgia, 2 in Texas, 1 in Ohio, and 3 in Valencia, Spain (which I find very strange, but cool).

Old 01-04-2013, 05:41 PM

701 posts, read 2,030,837 times
New Orleans is cool indeed, but dirty, grungy and crime ridden as all get out.

Old 01-05-2013, 08:01 AM

65 posts, read 142,330 times
Default 2nd that for Cafe Bosna

My wife lived in Bosnia for 2 years and Croatia for 1 doing missionary work and has traveled all over Europe-she affirms that it's the real deal.

The menu there goes all over the map around Eastern Europe. We really like the owner there as well. It's like a friendly little neighborhood hole-in-the-wall diner with awesome, authentic, homemade, fresh-to-order food from that part of the world.

We highly recommend it!

Old 01-05-2013, 08:09 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Beat02 View Post
New Orleans is cool indeed, but dirty, grungy and crime ridden as all get out.
So are many of the world's most popular tourist destinations.

We visited both NO and Chicago last year, had a great time, lived to tell the tale and would return in a heartbeat.

Old 01-05-2013, 09:28 AM

701 posts, read 2,030,837 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Wmsn4Life View Post
So are many of the world's most popular tourist destinations.

We visited both NO and Chicago last year, had a great time, lived to tell the tale and would return in a heartbeat.
I'd go in a heartbeat too

I'm just saying, for all the unique, historical stuff in New Orleans there's 10 fold of the bad, and areas you don't want to find yourself wondering around in. Given that, it seems kind of odd to have that city on a TOP 5. I can understand top 20, but top 5 worldwide? Apparently the criteria for making the list fails to take into account some rather important things.

Old 01-05-2013, 09:45 AM

Knowing the publishing business, I'd bet it has as much to do with list- making as it does with "desirable cities."

I mean, if you looked back at all these same lists Conde Nast has made over the years, you know they're in their editorial meetings going, "Ok, where have we NOT covered lately?"
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Tennessee > Nashville