Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Tennessee > Nashville
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-12-2013, 12:24 PM

5,064 posts, read 5,726,318 times

Advertisements

If you were fine in Atlanta and Houston, you will be fine here. Nashville is a not a small podunk town. I'm always surprised when people moving from other Southern cities post questions like this. You are not the only Houston poster to post stereotypes about Nashville on the Nashville forum. And that's really surprising to me. It's almost like Houston is so insular that people can't see outside their bubble, but that's not been my experience with Houston.

Here's a link to the other thread:
//www.city-data.com/forum/nashv...elocation.html

My sister used to live in Houston (or more accurately, The Woodlands, which my Houston friends called "South Dallas"), so I am familiar with the area. I think you will like Nashville. The weather will definitely be a nice change. We have the hot humid weather, but not nearly as hot for nearly as long.

Nashville is a nice, cosmopolitan city with a lot of amenities for its size. If Johnny Depp can live here, you will be fine.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-13-2013, 09:59 AM

6 posts, read 8,003 times
I do wish I had not even said the word religion. It totally derailed the thread. The focus of the responses reveals a general sensitivity, but suppose that's true anywhere.

Old 01-13-2013, 10:05 AM

6 posts, read 8,003 times
Brentwoodgirl, no it was the negative experience growing up in SE KY. Houston has it's issues, but generally I've found people to be very welcoming and helping each other out during tough times.

Weather will be better. Where are the best neighborhoods/areas to live for the best public schools?

Old 01-13-2013, 10:52 AM

5,064 posts, read 5,726,318 times
Best areas would really depend on your budget/job location.
Williamson County (Brentwood, Franklin, etc.) has the best schools and highest home prices.
Sumner, Rutherford and Wilson Counties also have good schools and more budget friendly houses. You can do a search in the Nashville forum on schools and you will see tons of threads about the schools in the different counties.

To me, the best thing would be to target a job first, and then figure out where you want to live based on the job location. Nashville doesn't have a "tech center" like some other cities. They are spread out all over town. When we looked in Dallas, it became clear that most tech jobs were centered in Richardson/Plano, so we knew if we moved there, we would have to target one of those areas. But that's not the same in Nashville.
I wouldn't want to be working in Hendersonville and commuting to Brentwood or vice versa. So I would find the job and narrow down schools.

Most software engineering jobs here are in the health care sector (Nashville is full of healthcare headquarters), so experience with healthcare languages would be a huge plus.

Going back to your orginal post.
Here's a fun, very reasonably priced old farm house on 3 acres in Franklin:
http://www.realtracs.com/PropertyDet...rWaTChB/U0fa+A

The price makes me think there may be something undesirable close by, but it would be worth exploring.
Real Tracs is the best place to search local real estate, www.realtracs.com
You can choose a county, and then a city. If you narrow down schools, you can also search to see what's available in that school zone.

Or look at this one:
http://www.realtracs.com/PropertyDet...amjXtOsdMKWhbQ

Built in 1785, it's gorgeous. Both of these are pretty far out, but most older houses with 3+ acres in Williamson County are going to be in the more rural part of the county.

Last edited by brentwoodgirl; 01-13-2013 at 11:10 AM..
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Tennessee > Nashville