Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Tennessee > Nashville
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 01-21-2013, 11:45 PM

111 posts, read 207,083 times

Advertisements

I'm going to be moving to Tennessee - Nashville area or surrounding. I am signing up for Straight Talk, and can choose if I get an ATT or Tmobile sim with them. I think I can roam for talk-only, but not for data. Was wondering what service (esp download speeds) is in Nashville and surrounding area Tmobile vs ATT. I'll probably end up not right in the city - Hendersonville, Brentwood, Antioch, etc.,

Thanks!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-22-2013, 08:44 PM

2,325 posts, read 2,650,692 times
Based on research, friends, and personal experience I have to tell you that Verizon come out on top not only in Nashville but surrounding counties and rural areas (again, I'm not being absolute but I checked online reviews, asked friends, and used Verizon in Nashville).

Old 01-22-2013, 10:26 PM

86 posts, read 210,737 times
I haven't experienced T-Mobile around here, but AT&T has been pretty good around most of Nashville. There are a few dead spots to the northwest of the city, but that is the more sparsely populated part of the metro Nashville area. Hendersonville, Nashville itself and Brentwood have been fine, can't really speak for Antioch (which is part of Nashville.)

Old 01-23-2013, 12:47 PM

46 posts, read 91,766 times
No on T-mobile. The service is bad in and around Nashville. It is considered a low/moderate service area. If you move here they will actually refund you the $200 contract cancellation fee because the service is so spotty. AT&T is okay but Verizon has the most complete coverage.

Old 01-24-2013, 04:47 AM

24,868 posts, read 24,377,473 times
T-Mobile does not have the coverage in surrounding areas that you are going to want, especially in Tennessee.

Until last April, I worked for T-Mobile and every time I came home from Florida, good God at the coverage holes I had all over the place. I'm not talking about 5 minutes with no signal, I'm talking about entire huge regions of the state with no signal.

AT&T has way more coverage. Now you're going with straight talk, but if you decide you need an LTE capable smart phone, AT&T in Nashville has the fastest LTE network, in the nation, out of any carrier, in Nashville. We're consistently running 21 Mbps download rates, and I've seen it as high as 48 Mbps in downtown. This isn't due to a lack of traffic either, just smoking fast on 10MHz of signal.

I'd choose AT&T. If money isn't a problem, maybe Verizon because of national coverage, but in Tennessee, I'd say we are as good or better then Verizon. Speed isn't even close.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Tennessee > Nashville