Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Tennessee > Nashville
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 01-27-2013, 05:55 PM

304 posts, read 869,418 times

Advertisements

I was recently accepted into a graduate program at Vanderbilt. It is a great opportunity in my opinion. It is no means definite that I am moving to Nashville but I am just trying to gather up as much information about possible moving destinations as possible.

basically the main thing I am concerned about is getting around Nashville without a car. What is the city's public transportation system like? Is it a bike friendly area?

Also how is the nightlife in the city?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-27-2013, 06:48 PM

6,662 posts, read 13,284,630 times
Getting around Nashville without a car would be very, very difficult, and would probably require that you live close to downtown (3 or so miles). A lot of bus lines go 10-20 miles from downtown, but if you are isolated towards the end of one of those lines, life is going to suck.

I don't think most would call Nashville bike friendly. The city is adding bike lanes to a lot of routes, so it's much better than it was even 5-10 years ago. There are also new bike rental/bike share programs in place in the core area of the city.

If you live close to Vanderbilt, you can make it work. That's one of the best walk friendly/public transit friendly areas of town. Several bus lines pass through the area. You can bike there, but just be warned, that's a very busy congested area, and there.

Here's an interactive map for bike lanes in the city (note: you have to zoom in quite a ways -- down to where you can see all the individual streets -- before the bike lanes/paths appear)

And here is a map of the Nashville MTA system with schedules included. If you're looking to live somewhere without a car, you'll want to be close to red and green routes.

Hope this helps.

Also, this question has been asked a number of times here...you can search this forum for 'public transportation' and find a lot of similar inquiries.

Old 01-27-2013, 06:54 PM

Oh, and nightlife should not be an issue at all. That's one of our strong suits...and not just Country Music/touristy related nightlife. Plenty of local bars, clubs, dives...many with live music. Plenty of it is close to Vanderbilt.

Old 01-27-2013, 07:14 PM

304 posts, read 869,418 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by nashvols View Post
Oh, and nightlife should not be an issue at all. That's one of our strong suits...and not just Country Music/touristy related nightlife. Plenty of local bars, clubs, dives...many with live music. Plenty of it is close to Vanderbilt.
Thanks for the great info in both of your posts. Great to hear the city has a strong nightlife. It sucks that the city has poor public transportation thought. I wonder if the city has plans for a light rail or something.

Old 01-27-2013, 07:43 PM

49,932 posts, read 59,685,303 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by tallahasseehero1 View Post
I wonder if the city has plans for a light rail or something.
No.

BRT, yes. Light rail, no.

Old 01-27-2013, 07:51 PM

Quote:
Thanks for the great info in both of your posts. Great to hear the city has a strong nightlife. It sucks that the city has poor public transportation thought. I wonder if the city has plans for a light rail or something.
It's definitely an issue that the city and region are working on. There have been a lot of little changes to improve our public transit and regional transit offerings...but no showpiece like a light rail system (we do have a 30+ mile commuter rail line that has been modestly successful -- but it is a single line and does not serve the major suburbs).

And as Wmsn said, we have plans for BRT (dedicated lane). The city did a study and found that BRT would be much more cost effective.

Here is a link for the proposed East-West Connector.

Old 01-28-2013, 12:39 AM

1,584 posts, read 2,075,044 times
Nightlife in Nashville is great. I would say public transit sucks, but it has to exist to suck. Just kidding, it does exist, but it isn't exactly a major benefit. I've never known anyone to use any public transportation of any kind, ever. Not joking. If you'll be living near Vandy though, that's a great area, and nightlife is accessible by either walking or taking a cab, depending on where you're going. If you're driving, traffic and parking isn't any more inconvenient than any other big city I'm familiar with. Again, regarding nightlife, Nashville is a good choice there. The city thrives on live music but it's not just country or anything like that. Even the airport has a Tootsies live music bar (the original Tootsies is on 5th and Broadway).

Old 01-28-2013, 04:39 AM

3,633 posts, read 5,774,859 times
Quote:
I was recently accepted into a graduate program at Vanderbilt. It is a great opportunity in my opinion. It is no means definite that I am moving to Nashville but I am just trying to gather up as much information about possible moving destinations as possible.

basically the main thing I am concerned about is getting around Nashville without a car. What is the city's public transportation system like? Is it a bike friendly area?

Also how is the nightlife in the city?
You'll probably need a car if you plan on going out to see everything Nashville has to offer, but if you plan on staying near the Vanderbilt campus you should be fine because there's lots going on in that area. A bunch of bars and hang out spots in that area, plus if you really want to find your way downtown it shouldn't be too hard from the Vanderbilt area, it's not that far from there. There's a lot of clubs and bars downtown and places all over the city for nightlife. There is more diversity in the nightlife than you'd probably think there would be here. Lots of free live music events all the time especially in the summertime. I am from Florida and there are some things that I don't relate to at all up here, but for the most part Nashville is a cool place to be right now. People are a lot nicer here than Florida.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Tennessee > Nashville