Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Tennessee > Nashville
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-10-2013, 06:17 AM

1,432 posts, read 3,842,137 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Frank Dux View Post
My only point is that lots of people are over-promoting Nashville and making fake profiles to do so. This isn't right to make a false profile to promote a city you love. You may be making people beleive something that isn't true to them. I would hate to have someone tell me Baltimore is 'nice' yet nice means something else to me then it does to you because the 'nice' that you know is something foriegn to my type of nice.
Care to provide an example of someone creating a fake profile to hype Nashville?

I guess the New York Times and Rolling Stone Magazines were secretly created by the Nashville illuminati and had to ignore Nashille for years to gain our trust before they could release the hype.

Also, students call Vanderbilt Vandy...not just locals.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-10-2013, 07:05 AM

Location: The back alleys of Hong Kong and sometimes Brussels, Belgium
242 posts, read 268,531 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by vivelafrance View Post
Care to provide an example of someone creating a fake profile to hype Nashville?

Takes Time to prove imposters dwell amongst you, just as it takes time to prove your friends are real

I guess the New York Times and Rolling Stone Magazines were secretly created by the Nashville illuminati and had to ignore Nashille for years to gain our trust before they could release the hype.

Also, students call Vanderbilt Vandy...not just locals.
Is it a fact that students all around this 50 some-odd states call Vanderbilt, 'Vandy'?

And, since you have all the answers from students that were surveyed in schools all around the BIG 10, ACC, SEC, WAC, and all those divisions in college sports, does the New York Times, and Rolling Stones magazines and all the people who ever worked for them and the people working for them now, actually know the world beyond Nashville and how people from other areas of the world will think or feel when they arrive on Nashville's shores after coming from Bangkok or London? Sounds like you're a bit defensive to me and to other people who simply just think of Nashville as a destination, not a love in thier hearts.

Old 03-10-2013, 10:54 AM

6,662 posts, read 13,325,072 times
Quote:
Is it a fact that students all around this 50 some-odd states call Vanderbilt, 'Vandy'?

And, since you have all the answers from students that were surveyed in schools all around the BIG 10, ACC, SEC, WAC, and all those divisions in college sports, does the New York Times, and Rolling Stones magazines and all the people who ever worked for them and the people working for them now, actually know the world beyond Nashville and how people from other areas of the world will think or feel when they arrive on Nashville's shores after coming from Bangkok or London? Sounds like you're a bit defensive to me and to other people who simply just think of Nashville as a destination, not a love in thier hearts.
What a rambling pile of crap.

Repost in English, please.

Old 03-10-2013, 05:21 PM

11,630 posts, read 12,691,000 times
Quote:
Case and Point
Yes, I am from NY and found that when I needed to go college shopping, high school students, the guidance counselors, and other locals who had college interests, interchangably used the terms Vanderbilt and Vandy. We knew that Vanderbilt was called Vandy before coming to the school. We also commonly call University of Maryland, the terps. So what? Calling Vanderbilt, Vandy, doesn't mean you live in a specific region of the country. It just indicates that you are familiar with major US universities and/or college sports. You don't have to live in NYC to call the Yankees the Pinstripes. Duh.

You do realize that the founder of Vandy was Cornelius Vanderbilt, a prominent New Yorker?

Last edited by Coney; 03-10-2013 at 05:52 PM..

Old 03-10-2013, 05:54 PM

16,177 posts, read 32,481,285 times
Quote:
Calling Vanderbilt by the name of 'Vandy', makes me think you must have had some connections to Nashville before your trip to the city, or that you have friends trendy enough to tell you that Vandy is the way locals of Nashville say Vanderbilt. I never knew Vanderbilt was called Vandy. How did you know the local slang that outsiders wouldn't know? That's amazing that you would know Vandy was Vanderbilt without having lived in Nashville.
I grew up in the poor, eastern part of Tennessee with parents that are from southwestern VA and my parents, as well as everyone around our area in the 1970's and 80's always called Vanderbilt "Vandy".

Quote:
My only point is that lots of people are over-promoting Nashville and making fake profiles to do so. This isn't right to make a false profile to promote a city you love. You may be making people beleive something that isn't true to them. I would hate to have someone tell me Baltimore is 'nice' yet nice means something else to me then it does to you because the 'nice' that you know is something foriegn to my type of nice.
As Moderator, I can assure you that we can verify IP addresses and assess duplicate accounts in a variety of ways and we do not have any fake profiles here to promote this city. Occasionally we do have a few people create duplicate accounts to bash a city and those are taken care of in short order.

Now, back to the topic at hand: New York to Nashville for Medical Training.

Old 03-11-2013, 08:40 AM

157 posts, read 347,396 times
Quote:
Calling Vanderbilt by the name of 'Vandy', makes me think you must have had some connections to Nashville before your trip to the city, or that you have friends trendy enough to tell you that Vandy is the way locals of Nashville say Vanderbilt. I never knew Vanderbilt was called Vandy. How did you know the local slang that outsiders wouldn't know? That's amazing that you would know Vandy was Vanderbilt without having lived in Nashville.
Most of my friends call Vanderbilt by the 'Vandy' name and we're all from New York. I have a few friends who attended for undergrad and they too call it Vandy. They all had a great time and speak very highly of the school and of Nashville.

Old 03-11-2013, 03:31 PM

5,064 posts, read 5,726,318 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by RJS5689 View Post
Most of my friends call Vanderbilt by the 'Vandy' name and we're all from New York. I have a few friends who attended for undergrad and they too call it Vandy. They all had a great time and speak very highly of the school and of Nashville.
Come on, we all know your just another fake profile.

BTW- I have appreciated all of you kind comments about Nashville. It's fun to see someone who doesn't even live here have a passion for our great city. I hope one day your partner will agree to move as well.

Old 03-12-2013, 11:26 AM

157 posts, read 347,396 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by brentwoodgirl View Post
Come on, we all know your just another fake profile.

BTW- I have appreciated all of you kind comments about Nashville. It's fun to see someone who doesn't even live here have a passion for our great city. I hope one day your partner will agree to move as well.
Oh no, you caught me; I'm a troll .

I do have a passion for your fine city. I'm already planning another visit (hopefully a longer one this time, too). I never resist an opportunity to tell Northeasterners how amazing Nashville is. I've found they (we) have the most bizarre, inaccurate stereotypes about the city.

Old 03-14-2013, 07:21 AM

1,398 posts, read 2,506,497 times
Sports announcers on all the national sports cable channels frequently call Vanderbilt, "Vandy". I hear it more often than the full name. But then, Frank Dux would know that if s/he were American... or a sports fan, for that matter. Based on the posts s/he has dropped here and there, bad spelling/grammar notwithstanding it's apparent s/he hasn't spent much time in English-speaking locales. My guess is s/he is from some backwater small/midsize city that hasn't seen any significant growth in decades.

Perhaps s/he should stick to eating brussels sprouts. They give a person lots of gas.

Old 03-14-2013, 07:32 AM

1,398 posts, read 2,506,497 times
Quote:
Case and Point
Obviously, you are no graduate of Vandy. The phrase is "case in point", it means to sum up the case in a concise point. So is it true that unsophisticated people don't like Nashville because they don't fit in there?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Tennessee > Nashville