Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Tennessee > Nashville
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 02-17-2013, 07:44 PM

6 posts, read 14,499 times

Advertisements

The family and I will be moving to Nashville in a month or so, and we're looking to rent an apartment until we locate a home we like or decide to build. Our budget is $300-325K. We love Crieve Hall but are concerned that we may not be able to locate a home large enough for a growing family. We also saw some homes in the Jackson Valley development in "Brentioch" that look like the perfect fit, but I had a few questions for those of you who may know more about this part of town. I am curious about whether anyone thinks it's a subdivision that will eventually be completed. It seems to have taken nearly 5 years for it to be halfway built out, which seems unusual for a town growing at the rate Nashville is growing. Does anyone know anything about these homes and what the commute might look like to downtown Nashville?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-17-2013, 08:14 PM

3,760 posts, read 7,086,830 times
Crieve Hall would be a nice place to land - HUGE yards. How many bedrooms are you looking for?

Old 02-17-2013, 08:49 PM

The huge yards are both a boon and a drawback in terms of upkeep. We're looking for 4 beds ideally.

Old 02-18-2013, 08:30 AM

Couldn't find anything about Jackson Valley except you're right, it was started in 2008? Although there are a few places that ran out of steam around that time, like Tollgate Village. Here are a couple houses in Franklin (Fieldstone Farms) that have 4 bedrooms. The less expensive one looks like it needs a new roof although because of wind damage, it may be covered under your homeowners policy. Still a yard but not as big as Crieve Hall and probably not as much charm . . . .

RealTracs Real Estate Mid-South Search Results

Pretty sure you won't find an apartment with 4 bedrooms, even 3 is hard to come by. Realtracs has a "rental" option. You might find a house or townhome with enough space?

PS. Even Legends Ridge, a high end housing development (Hillsboro & Berry's Chapel) ran out of steam and those are half a million plus dollar homes . . . .

Old 02-18-2013, 08:41 AM

5,064 posts, read 5,726,318 times
Building has picked up in the area recently, so I think it will be finished. There is a developer planning a big new project just right up the street from there. The commute to downtown Nashville would not be very fun because it is not close to an interstate. So no matter which direction you go, you will be taking a congested surface road for at least 5-7 miles before you can get to an interstate. And there is no great path to downtown from that location that doesn't involve the interstate. You could go straight up Nolensville Road, but having to go through those lights at every block daily would drive me insane.
If you do decide you can handle the commute, then I would also consider Lenox Village. It is close by, further along in its development, and has lots of amentities.
I would also look at the neighborhoods along Cloverland that are Davidson County/Brentwood address. Those won't be as cute as the neighborhood you like, but they are much closer to the interstate.

Old 02-18-2013, 08:45 AM

Thanks, CountryGirl2b. We're not looking for a huge apartment; maybe 2-3 bedrooms depending on the cost. My work will be downtown, so the thought of living in Franklin and dealing with that commute doesn't sound that great to me. Thanks for the information on these developments that seem to run out of steam. We may end up getting a 3 bed 2 bath home and make it work. The kids can share rooms for a while. Those Jackson Valley homes are certainly nice looking, though. It's a shame they don't seem to be in much demand. Thanks again.

Old 02-18-2013, 08:50 AM

that's helpful info brentwoodgirl. We've not driven to Jackson Valley to see what the drive would look like. I currently drive about the same distance, but it's mostly highway travel (30+ minutes in the morning; 45 minutes in the afternoon). We'll probably come up in a few weeks just to see more of the area before the move. Thanks for your feedback and info.

Old 02-18-2013, 09:16 AM

While you are here, try driving from Franklin to downtown Nashville, too! I'd much rather take 65 than Nolensville Road (or any surface street for that long of a distance). The nice thing about 65 is that Franklin Road runs parallel to it so you can exit if there is a big jam. With normal traffic I can get downtown in about 20 - 25 minutes. You can also take Hillsboro or Franklin roads all the way to downtown (although traffic near Green Hills mall is a mess). Anyway, you'll have some time to figure it out. The access to 65 is a plus for Franklin. Where do you live now?

PS. Sometimes just changing your commute time by 15 minutes can make a big difference on 65 . . .

Old 02-18-2013, 09:58 AM

Thanks, CountryGirl2b. I only remember driving with the realtor while we were there in December, and it felt like a long drive between downtown Nashville and Franklin. I'll have to check that area out as well. We're looking for homes with character that aren't typical tract style homes, but our budget may require some compromises along those lines. Good schools are important, but being too far removed from diversity is also not desirable. We live in Dallas presently. I have heard that Nolensville Rd. can get a little heavy with all the developments off that road, which is not a strong selling point for homes in that part of the area for us. We want to purchase a home in an area that is going to appreciate well in the event that we have to move in the next 5-10 years. Crieve Hall seems to be that kind of area (as is East Nashville, but the schools there present a problem). I'll check out the Franklin listings and will drive that drive to see what it feels like. Thanks for the info!

Old 02-18-2013, 03:27 PM

I was looking for non tract homes too when I decided to move here 3 years ago. They ARE out there but few and far between. In truth, Crieve Hall is a mid 1950's housing tract! Most of the non HOA houses I looked at needed a LOT of updating, often just had a carport, no attic, just this set of stairs that you pulled down from over the carport, often just one bathroom. In the end, I had to get a tract home and add my OWN character.

Even with our Fieldstone Farms house (circa 1997) we've redone the roof, the HVAC, replaced some glass doors, built a deck, replaced carpet, repainted inside, replaced the bathroom counter tops and toilets, had to replace a big tree out front, spent about $400 on new brushed nickel door handles and hinges, and bought a new front door.

At least we didn't have to deal with metal pipe, old electric wiring, barely there cables for internet/TV, etc. Termites are an issue here, too. I think that's a pretty standard inspection required by the mortgage company.

Hard to say about appreciation with real estate these days. I think just holding their value is a bonus in this current environment! If you think about how many baby boomers will be retiring in the next 10 years, I'd think a one story house or a house with a downstairs master bed & bath would be a good investment!

When you don't know where you are driving, it always seems farther than it actually is . . . that's why vacations seem longer, because everything is new and not routine!

Good luck with your search and let us know where you land!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Tennessee > Nashville