Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Tennessee > Nashville
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-25-2013, 12:11 PM

16 posts, read 32,017 times

Advertisements

Hi everyone. I asked about a few cities in Tennessee a few weeks earlier and I have decided on Hendersonville. I will be visiting TN next month again and will be staying in Hendersonville for 2 weeks to see how I like it and will be looking at homes to see what my options are. Prices are great (I checked Realtracs and Trulia). I don't really want a cookie cutter home only because I am not sure if they are going to be well built. I'd prefer an older home that I can fix up, H-ville seems to have nice older home.

I have heard that there is a "rough" area in Hendersonville around New Shackle Island Road. I am not sure what that exactly means because where I am from, rough basically means the ghetto or ghetto like. Can some explain to me exactly where this area is? Is it East, South, North, or West of New Shackle Island Road? How "rough" is it? I want to be familiar with where it is just in case the real estate agent takes me to that area.

What are the better parts of town? I was told that near Indian Lake Blvd and Drakes Creek is a good area, but what else? One area in particular that seemed nice to me was below Rockland Road and west of Harbor Drive. (Savo Bay, E Harbor Drive, W Harbor Drive, etc.) Is that a good area? Just wondering if I should look around there or stay away.

Any other things about the area that you would like to tell me would be of help as well.

Thanks!

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-25-2013, 01:03 PM

1,432 posts, read 3,843,506 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by AnnaK001 View Post
Hi everyone. I asked about a few cities in Tennessee a few weeks earlier and I have decided on Hendersonville. I will be visiting TN next month again and will be staying in Hendersonville for 2 weeks to see how I like it and will be looking at homes to see what my options are. Prices are great (I checked Realtracs and Trulia). I don't really want a cookie cutter home only because I am not sure if they are going to be well built. I'd prefer an older home that I can fix up, H-ville seems to have nice older home.

I have heard that there is a "rough" area in Hendersonville around New Shackle Island Road. I am not sure what that exactly means because where I am from, rough basically means the ghetto or ghetto like. Can some explain to me exactly where this area is? Is it East, South, North, or West of New Shackle Island Road? How "rough" is it? I want to be familiar with where it is just in case the real estate agent takes me to that area.

What are the better parts of town? I was told that near Indian Lake Blvd and Drakes Creek is a good area, but what else? One area in particular that seemed nice to me was below Rockland Road and west of Harbor Drive. (Savo Bay, E Harbor Drive, W Harbor Drive, etc.) Is that a good area? Just wondering if I should look around there or stay away.

Any other things about the area that you would like to tell me would be of help as well.

Thanks!

The neighborhood around New Shackle may be rough by Hendersonville standards but isn't ghetto or dangerous. Really, the only reason you'd be taken there to see a home is if your budget is less than 180k.

It's easier, for me, to break down the city by school zone. You cans search by zone on most realty websites.

In general the least desirable parts of the city zone to Whitten and Brown Elementary schools. Personally, for resale value, I would probably avoid the Rockland/Savo Bay area because of this. It isn't dangerous or anything it's just that is an area of town which is more industrial (near the dam, lots of car repair shops, water treatment facility, etc) Although the homes in Savo bay are nice, the area as a whole is home to more small starter family homes or solidly working class areas.

The middle of the road areas would be Walton Ferry and Lakeside Park elementary zones on the Walton Ferry Peninsula. These areas are overall middle to upper middle class although there are a few older and less well-kept areas such as along Gatone Drive and Curtis Cross Roads.

Beech, Jack Anderson, and Station Camp zones are home to the most recent growth and are all pretty similar in demographics. Most of the neighborhoods are master-planned and fairly new. You will probably have the most cookie-cutters in these zones but they also include some rural areas with older homes.

Indian Lake and Nannie Berry are both located on the Indian Lake Peninsula which is generally the most desirable area with the highest home prices. There is a good mix of new construction and well-kept 60s/70s ranches. You may be able to find a deal on a fixer-upper in this area.

Old 02-25-2013, 04:37 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by vivelafrance View Post
The neighborhood around New Shackle may be rough by Hendersonville standards but isn't ghetto or dangerous. Really, the only reason you'd be taken there to see a home is if your budget is less than 180k.

It's easier, for me, to break down the city by school zone. You cans search by zone on most realty websites.

In general the least desirable parts of the city zone to Whitten and Brown Elementary schools. Personally, for resale value, I would probably avoid the Rockland/Savo Bay area because of this. It isn't dangerous or anything it's just that is an area of town which is more industrial (near the dam, lots of car repair shops, water treatment facility, etc) Although the homes in Savo bay are nice, the area as a whole is home to more small starter family homes or solidly working class areas.

The middle of the road areas would be Walton Ferry and Lakeside Park elementary zones on the Walton Ferry Peninsula. These areas are overall middle to upper middle class although there are a few older and less well-kept areas such as along Gatone Drive and Curtis Cross Roads.

Beech, Jack Anderson, and Station Camp zones are home to the most recent growth and are all pretty similar in demographics. Most of the neighborhoods are master-planned and fairly new. You will probably have the most cookie-cutters in these zones but they also include some rural areas with older homes.

Indian Lake and Nannie Berry are both located on the Indian Lake Peninsula which is generally the most desirable area with the highest home prices. There is a good mix of new construction and well-kept 60s/70s ranches. You may be able to find a deal on a fixer-upper in this area.

Thank you so much! You did a wonderful job explaining everything for me and this information will be very useful for me. Indian Lake and Nannie Berry sound like they're nice places, I can't wait to see what I can find. Thanks again

Old 02-25-2013, 06:43 PM

629 posts, read 1,701,008 times
You might find this thread useful - good luck!
//www.city-data.com/forum/nashv...lle-areas.html

Old 02-25-2013, 09:36 PM

4,678 posts, read 9,891,120 times
I'm jealous, I really miss Hendersonville sometimes. I used to go fishing in Old Hickory Lake at least once a week down by Sanders Ferry Park, I used to own a home off of Curtis Crossroads and have never enjoyed my life as much as when I lived there.

Old 02-26-2013, 08:03 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by TXRyan23 View Post
I'm jealous, I really miss Hendersonville sometimes. I used to go fishing in Old Hickory Lake at least once a week down by Sanders Ferry Park, I used to own a home off of Curtis Crossroads and have never enjoyed my life as much as when I lived there.
I have read in a few different posts that people love living in Hendersonville and the ones who left miss it. Hopefully it turns out good for me. How popular is fishing at Old Hickory Lake? Do people go boating? This might be a silly question, but can people go swimming there? I know that lake water isn't clean, but is it good enough to take a dip in the summer?

Last edited by AnnaK001; 02-26-2013 at 09:27 AM..

Old 02-26-2013, 01:04 PM

18 posts, read 56,556 times
Quote:
What are the better parts of town? I was told that near Indian Lake Blvd and Drakes Creek is a good area, but what else? One area in particular that seemed nice to me was below Rockland Road and west of Harbor Drive. (Savo Bay, E Harbor Drive, W Harbor Drive, etc.)

I have a house in the E. Harbor drive neighborhood. Its called Harbortowne. The houses are fairly well built, and the hoa fees are not that expensive. If I recall its like 300 dollars a year, the pool is well kept up in the summer and is used mostly by mothers and children in the summer time. All of the houses are 12 yrs old so most of them have been updated. New roofs, kitchens etc etc. It is a very quiet neighborhood. Some of the houses on the water have boat docks, although not much of a backyard.

The only draw backs to these neighborhoods (harbortowne and salvo bay) is Rockland road. It looks like hell. The street is dirty, there is a auto body shop with wrecked cars strewn about the place, a semi vacant group of commercial bldgs. and its just generally depressed looking. Also in Harbortowne you have overhead utilities. It didnt bother me at first but every year staring at all the electric and cable wires is slowly beginning to annoy me.

Old 02-27-2013, 06:44 AM

3,828 posts, read 8,471,263 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by AnnaK001 View Post
How popular is fishing at Old Hickory Lake? Do people go boating?
Very and all the time. Fishing is very popular both along the banks and on the water. Personally, I enjoy taking my kids to Sanders Ferry Park (off of Sanders Ferry Rd) and let them fish in one of the inlets there off the lake. They never catch anything big, but they always get bites which is all that matters at their age.

You'll see lots of opportunities for boating as well. There are a number of marinas in the area and many people own boats and take them out on nice weekends. There is definitely a very strong fishing and boat culture in Hendersonville and Gallatin because of the lake.

Quote:
This might be a silly question, but can people go swimming there? I know that lake water isn't clean, but is it good enough to take a dip in the summer?
Not a silly question. Yes, you can swim in the lake but I've never really wanted to personally. There is a designated swimming area off of Walton Ferry Road...I can't remember the name of the access there though. Likewise you'll see boaters anchored in the calmer inlets and people swimming around their boats from time to time. The water isn't toxic or anything, but it certainly isn't clean. That's just my personal opinion though...clearly many other folks enjoy a dip in the lake.

Old 03-07-2013, 06:58 AM

48 posts, read 122,782 times
Default Hendersonville TN Neighborhoods

Planning on considering Hendersonville Tn for active retirement. Looking for an active new development with minimum must have requirements :

Underground utilities
Sidewalks
Street curbing
Street lighting

Basically looking for a Westhaven / Fieldstone type development in Hendersonville / Gallatin area. Any suggestions would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks

Old 03-07-2013, 08:50 AM

18 posts, read 56,556 times
oh yeah.. How can we talk about Hendersonville without this video?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=sdYct2R89eM
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Tennessee > Nashville