Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Tennessee > Nashville
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-25-2013, 02:52 PM

5,139 posts, read 8,810,743 times

Advertisements

#1 - I'm really not a country-western music fan

#2 - I don't eat red meat

I'm checking out the area because it seems like it has alot to offer (I would be retiring).

I'd appreciate your honesty! thanks.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-25-2013, 03:02 PM

49,932 posts, read 59,585,620 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by loveautumn View Post

Yes because we don't require you to listen to it.

**Friendly tip: No one calls it "country-western" anymore.

Yes because there is no law that you have to eat red meat to live here.

I'm checking out the area because it seems like it has alot to offer (I would be retiring).

You asked for honest answers ...

Old 02-25-2013, 03:10 PM

1,432 posts, read 3,829,216 times
Quote:

I second the statement that no one says country western and hasn't for 20 years at least!
But...why would you presume that you have to like it to live here? Do you have to like cheesesteak to live in Philadelphia? Do you have to enjoy NASCAR to live on Charlotte? No...

I honestly don't know why there would be a problem with red meat either. I've lived in many places and can't think of any where they just sold and ate red meat. Two of Nashville's specialties are its "hot chicken" and "hot fish"...both of which are not red meat.

Old 02-25-2013, 03:28 PM

940 posts, read 1,892,940 times
Quote:

Question #1 is based around a theme that comes up all of the time on this thread. It comes up for one reason and one reason only: mass media loves labels.

Now the fact that mass media loves labels should have no bearing on popular tastes and how people live in the city receiving the label right?

When I was 5 years old my father told me we were moving to a place of which had never heard: Nashville, Tennessee. He explained that the people mostly drove Nash Ramblers there, and that Tennessee was where people were crazy about tennis. I think I kind of half believed him, even sensing it was joking. I never heard anything about country music, didn't even know what it was probably, and never heard my parents discuss country music, for at least 5 years after we settled in in 1955, about 7 years after the recording business began putting out product. This was when Nashville had not yet been labelled as anything besides a southern city.

I write this to help in undoing the subtle brainwashing by mass media. Just think of Nashville as it was known when my family discovered it: A southern state capital with a world renowned university, where Ford Motor made all its glass, and Dupont had manufactured for Uncle Sam all the gunpowder needed in WWII - again a place not yet labeled by the media. 'Country' was a concept foreign to me for at least 5 years after living there, and my family finally attended the Grand Ole Opry.

Last edited by groovamos; 02-25-2013 at 03:39 PM..

Old 02-25-2013, 03:34 PM

610 posts, read 1,616,434 times
There's actually a pretty prevalent vegan/vegetarian market here. A lot of restaurants offer options...places mostly in East Nashville and Berry Hill area...Wild Cow for an example. Whole Foods has an amazing salad bar...My sister lives in Chattanooga, and every time she comes to Nashville, she has found a new vegan place for us to try.
I do like my meat, though !

Old 02-25-2013, 03:53 PM

6,662 posts, read 13,267,193 times
You don't have to go out of your way to avoid either of those things.

Old 02-25-2013, 05:39 PM

157 posts, read 345,969 times
Well I'm not from Nashville, but I have visited and I had a blast. I eat vegetarian a few times a week, but I do enjoy my meat as well. As stated, you'll be able to find places that cater to vegetarian/vegan ways of eating. You will also want to try some hot chicken if you go to Nashville (no red meat there)!

You can certainly enjoy Nashville if you're not a country music fan. Don't believe all the stereotypes you hear, Nashville isn't all country music. Actually, here in NYC, our country music station is dubbed "America's Country Station" because NYC, by listeners, is the largest country music market in the US. Granted NYC is home to about 8.3 million people and our metro area is about 22 million people, so I'm sure the sheer density of people here has a huge influence on that.

I really loved Nashville, even being a born and raised New Yorker. As someone retiring, I think it would be a nice place for you. There's plenty in the way of food. The cost of living is pretty low. There's a lot of outdoor activities, from what I'm told. The people are just so damn nice, I mean freaky nice (but what do I know about nice, I'm from New York and most people here are, well, jerks). Let us know what you decide !

Old 02-25-2013, 06:25 PM

13,336 posts, read 39,726,514 times
Quote:

Many people are surprised to find out that Nashville has one of the country's finest symphony halls and one of the country's best-funded symphonies. While it's true that Nashville's bread is buttered with money from the country music industry, country musicians are hardly musical snobs, by and large. Many of them contribute heavily to the Nashville Symphony and even perform with the symphony. Get a load of Nashville's Schermerhorn Symphony Center and Grammy award-winning Nashville Symphony:

Nashville Symphony - Schermerhorn Symphony Center - Virtual Tour - YouTube!

In addition, the dozen or so universities in Nashville have schools of music which provide constant recitals, concerts, and other musical events that have nothing to do with country music. In particular, check out Vanderbilt's outstanding Blair School of Music.

I went to college out west. My college roommate told me later that when he found out his roommate was from Tennessee, he expected me to show up in a pickup truck listening to twangy country songs. He was shocked when I pulled up in a Volvo listening to Debussy. I never started listening to country music until I was in college out west and had a girlfriend from Chicago who was addicted to it.

Being force-fed country music in Nashville is such a non-issue that it sometimes gets irritating to hear people bring it up. Honestly, you'll do fine.

IMPORTANT READING:
Terms of Service

---
its - possession
it's - contraction of it is
your - possession
you're - contraction of you are
their - possession
they're - contraction of they are
there - referring to a place
loose - opposite of tight
lose - opposite of win
who's - contraction of who is
whose - possession
alot - NOT A WORD

Old 02-25-2013, 06:28 PM

4,678 posts, read 9,844,120 times
Quote:

1. Tennessee as a whole is known for a lot more than just country. How about blues and rock n roll?

2. Nashville has Kroger, Publix, Walmart, HG Hills, Harris Teeter, and a farmers market. I don't believe I was ever forced to buy red meat..

Old 02-25-2013, 07:06 PM

15,965 posts, read 20,923,733 times
Quote:

Nah, you're thinking of Memphis, where they don't let you in if you don't profess to love BBQ
j/k
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Tennessee > Nashville