Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Tennessee > Nashville
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 02-28-2013, 11:05 PM

991 posts, read 1,110,243 times

Advertisements

I took a job in January and the company I work for is headquartered in Nashville. I traveled to Nashville this past week on business and really enjoyed the city. We hung out in the touristy areas on Broadway / Printers Alley, but I did see other parts of the city that were not so touristy. My company has made it clear to me that if I want to work out of the Nashville office I am welcome to, and my SO is open to the idea of living in warmer weather. I do have some questions, though:

1) What are some walkable, vibrant areas in which to rent an apartment. The eventual plan would be to buy a condo, but for the first couple years we would feel it out by renting. I went to West End - is this too college-aged? Any recommendations would be appreciated.

2) I like hockey, and the prospect of relocating from a non-NHL town to an NHL town is exciting. However, Nashville does not have an MLB team - I would miss that. Do people go to Sounds games? Are they fun?

3) How is the zoo? How about museums?

4) I am a piano player - and have played semi-professionally for several years (mainly jazz). I do like country and alt country as well. I am not a career musician, and I know there is a lot more musical talent in Nashville than where I currently reside due to the presence of the record labels. However, is there still and amateur/semi-pro scene for musicians who just want to play one or two gigs a week for fun (not as a career or attempt to catch on with a label)?

5) I know Nashville is a pretty religious town - lots of churches. Is it okay for Buddhists (SO), secular people (me)?

I should note that my SO and I are both 33 and not planning on having kids so schools, yard space, and family activities are not high priority for us at all. Obviously safety/crime is a factor, but not an absolute deal breaker (I grew up in cities and am pretty street-smart about where/where not to go).

Thanks.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-01-2013, 01:11 AM

6,662 posts, read 13,333,679 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by KC_Sleuth View Post
1) What are some walkable, vibrant areas in which to rent an apartment. The eventual plan would be to buy a condo, but for the first couple years we would feel it out by renting. I went to West End - is this too college-aged? Any recommendations would be appreciated.
West End is fine. Yes, Vanderbilt is the dominating fixture in the neighborhood, but the university itself only has 12-13,000 students...about half of them grad students. It's not quite the same as having a large public university in the area, but college students are definitely well represented.

Right now, Nashville is very active in urban infill. I'm not sure how much exactly you got to explore, but there are numerous urban apartments under construction. In general, Nashville is a bit lacking in terms of urban living (multifamily), but the recent boom will hopefully rectify that. In other words, you move in now, you might find it OK...but in a few years, it might be more to your liking.

Where you work might be something to consider with which neighborhood you pick. Without giving too much away (if you don't want to), where is your office located?

The quick suggestions of where to check out (aside from West End, which is a good option) would be The Gulch (adjacent to downtown), Germantown, and possibly SoBro. I think East Nashville is great, but there aren't a lot of apartment/condo options as of yet. Mostly historic, mostly single family homes. 12th South and Melrose may be options later on after you move (they're not as built up, yet). Budget will be a big determination. Most of the new stuff is a bit above the average rent for the area (obviously)...problem is...most of what you would want is new.

There's always downtown, too.

Quote:
2) I like hockey, and the prospect of relocating from a non-NHL town to an NHL town is exciting. However, Nashville does not have an MLB team - I would miss that. Do people go to Sounds games? Are they fun?
The hockey games are loads of fun. They might not make you forget baseball, but I think it would end up being at least a fair trade. People do technically go to Sounds games, but with the arrival of the major pro sports teams, the once proud and prominent Sounds have taken a back seat. Also consider that we have 4 Division I college basketball programs in town (Vanderbilt, TSU, Belmont, Lipscomb) and one more in the metro (MTSU)...and two of those are FBS football schools (Vanderbilt, MTSU) and one FCS (TSU). There's a lot going on sports-wise...and I kind of feel sorry for the Sounds.

But yes, their games are still attended. The stadium isn't a dump, but it isn't far from it. It was built in the late 70s. They've been looking to find a site and fund a new ballpark, but to no avail (my feeling is the city is willing to give land as part of the deal, but would want the stadium to be privately funded).

Fun is a matter of perspective. I really enjoyed them when I was a kid. I honestly have only been probably twice as an adult...one had mild attendance...one was cold and dismal with maybe a couple hundred fans...but I witnessed a perfect game, so that did make it fun.

Quote:
3) How is the zoo? How about museums?
I think the zoo is pretty nice. They've done a good job with it, and are always changing/adding new exhibits. It's not world-class by any means, but it does the job.

There are several museums. The Frist is the main art museum. It's decent...mostly traveling exhibits, with a little bit of local art, too. The building is a cool art deco former post office. Cheekwood is an art museum and botanical garden in Belle Meade...a little more of a socialite gathering place, but very nice nonetheless. The Country Music Hall of Fame and Museum is really nice, and in the process of a major expansion. Country or not, music fans will appreciate a lot of what they offer. There's also the state museum...which, in my opinion, isn't all that impressive. They are looking to move from their current site eventually, so that may be why there isn't so much action there.

There are also several Civil War sites worth visiting. In town (just south of downtown), there's Fort Negley, which has a small visitor's center and informational brochures and a film to watch (it's nothing major, but good for getting background). The big sites are the Battle of Franklin/Carnton Plantation in Franklin and Stones River National Battlefield in Murfreesboro. Both of those were more significant battles. Nashville was captured by the Union early in the war, and was heavily fortified. The battle wasn't as significant...more of a last desperate gasp...so only a few small sites remain in the hills to the south, and the stone fort ruin overlooking downtown.

Quote:
4) I am a piano player - and have played semi-professionally for several years (mainly jazz). I do like country and alt country as well. I am not a career musician, and I know there is a lot more musical talent in Nashville than where I currently reside due to the presence of the record labels. However, is there still and amateur/semi-pro scene for musicians who just want to play one or two gigs a week for fun (not as a career or attempt to catch on with a label)?
There are more people per capita involved with the music industry here than any other city in North America. Tons. Both on the business side and performance side. World class session musicians, as well as songwriters and of course the main 'talent.' That's not to say you can't find a place to play. I'm not the one to ask...but if you're pretty good, you might find a local band looking for an occasional musician. My uneducated opinion would be to scout out some bars/clubs that are playing your type of music (AWAY FROM LOWER BROADWAY) and ask around.

Quote:
5) I know Nashville is a pretty religious town - lots of churches. Is it okay for Buddhists (SO), secular people (me)?
Of course it is OK for Buddhists and secular people. Whether or not you are comfortable is something I won't be able to tell you. Yes, there are a lot of religious people...Evangelical Christians are more than well represented...as are Mainline Protestants...as are Catholics...but Nashville is a large enough place where quite a number of other religions have representation. There are several Jewish synagogues, a Hindu temple, and several Mosques. We have a decent sized international community, so for the most part, people are at least used to the fact that quite a few other cultures exist...and thrive here.

As for Buddhism in particular, have your SO look at this website...maybe contact them to ask for specifics about the Buddhist community here.

Quote:
I should note that my SO and I are both 33 and not planning on having kids so schools, yard space, and family activities are not high priority for us at all. Obviously safety/crime is a factor, but not an absolute deal breaker (I grew up in cities and am pretty street-smart about where/where not to go).
Based on the above, I think the neighborhoods mentioned are a good starting point. Others may have some additional input. As I alluded to earlier, Nashville is in the process of a major infill boom. Not so much in terms of highrises (there are some), but low and midrise residential buildings in town. Because of that, the core area is in somewhat of a state of flux...it's an unfinished portrait. Neighborhoods are filling in, and amenities are being added...but a lot of these areas are not 'mature' yet. You may witness some growing pains of your neighborhood if you decide to move here. Probably the two biggest things that need catching up are retail/shopping and good public transit. Retail shopping is being added with a lot of the new apartment developments...and there are some rumors/proposals for more neighborhood markets (which are lacking right now). Public transit in the core is probably adequate, but short of being good. We are in the late planning stages of a BRT line from West End to East Nashville...which should at least help.

Old 03-01-2013, 05:42 AM

The office is about 6 miles southeast of downtown near the zoo.

Old 03-01-2013, 09:25 AM

Quote:
The office is about 6 miles southeast of downtown near the zoo.
Ah...well that far from downtown, I don't think any urban neighborhood is going to have a huge advantage over another. SoBro and The Gulch are well positioned if you want to stick to surface streets (8th/Franklin Pk and 2nd/4th/Nolensville Pk) though the interstate probably would be the easiest thing to do since it is a reverse commute (The Gulch/Midtown have the best interstate access).

In any case, your commute shouldn't be a huge deal...so the best thing would probably be to pick the area that is most comfortable for you and what you are looking for.

Old 03-01-2013, 09:43 AM

3,760 posts, read 7,090,694 times
What is your budget for your rental? This might narrow your choices down considerably. Tight rental market at the moment . . .

Old 03-01-2013, 11:59 AM

722 posts, read 2,101,147 times
If you need an MLB fix, its 4 hrs to Atlanta, about 5 to St Louis and Cincinnati, and 7 or 8 to Chicago.

Old 03-01-2013, 12:27 PM

Rental budget is probably $1100 - $1300

Old 03-01-2013, 12:29 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by nashvols View Post
Ah...well that far from downtown, I don't think any urban neighborhood is going to have a huge advantage over another. SoBro and The Gulch are well positioned if you want to stick to surface streets (8th/Franklin Pk and 2nd/4th/Nolensville Pk) though the interstate probably would be the easiest thing to do since it is a reverse commute (The Gulch/Midtown have the best interstate access).

In any case, your commute shouldn't be a huge deal...so the best thing would probably be to pick the area that is most comfortable for you and what you are looking for.
It's funny...six miles from downtown here in KC is close...this city is so spread out that people drive 30 miles from suburbs to downtown. You can drive for 50 miles from one end to the other and still be in KC, MO (north to south). All relative I guess.

Old 03-01-2013, 02:51 PM

3,760 posts, read 7,090,694 times
Your budget is fine, I think you should be able to find some nice properties in that price range. Try this website:

https://www.padmapper.com

It lets you look by location. Some of the offerings are too old but you can get an idea of prices for various areas. You can also try realtracs.com - I'm thinking maybe Area 1 but I could be wrong. You'd have to consult a good map.

Old 03-01-2013, 03:33 PM

Quote:
It's funny...six miles from downtown here in KC is close...this city is so spread out that people drive 30 miles from suburbs to downtown. You can drive for 50 miles from one end to the other and still be in KC, MO (north to south). All relative I guess.
Oh, people definitely drive 30+ miles to downtown (Murfreesboro, Spring Hill, Lebanon, Gallatin)...it's definitely still in the city (we have huge municipal borders). I'm just saying that the concentration of the more urban environment is primarily within about a 3 mile radius of downtown. If you were going to be working downtown or on West End, there might be a reason to pick one neighborhood over the other...but since all of these are 4-6 miles from where you will be working, there's not a ton of difference, except for maybe Germantown (where you would have to go through or around downtown to work).
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Tennessee > Nashville