U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Tennessee > Nashville
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-03-2013, 06:52 PM

34 posts, read 68,607 times

Advertisements

Thanks in advance for taking the time to answer my questions. I dont have a clue about Nashville at all.

1.) I am looking for a 2 bedroom apartment in a safe neighborhood no more than 30 mins away from downtown. I define safe as in my wife could jog freely around dusk without worrying about anything. I have heard Green Hill, Sylvan Park, the Gulch, Berry Hill, Hillsborough, and Germantown are good choices. What are your thoughts on these neighborhoods and would I be able to land an apartment for around $800-1100? I would consider a large 1 bedroom if I could go on the lower end of that range.

2.) General thoughts on the job market? I know its bad everywhere, but I'm just wondering if the city is on the up and up or not.

3.) I can kinda guess what the "best" things about Nashville would be if I asked, so what are the worst?

Thanks for all the responses.
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-03-2013, 07:56 PM

6,667 posts, read 12,662,298 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Shikes View Post
Thanks in advance for taking the time to answer my questions. I dont have a clue about Nashville at all.

1.) I am looking for a 2 bedroom apartment in a safe neighborhood no more than 30 mins away from downtown. I define safe as in my wife could jog freely around dusk without worrying about anything. I have heard Green Hill, Sylvan Park, the Gulch, Berry Hill, Hillsborough, and Germantown are good choices. What are your thoughts on these neighborhoods and would I be able to land an apartment for around $800-1100? I would consider a large 1 bedroom if I could go on the lower end of that range.

2.) General thoughts on the job market? I know its bad everywhere, but I'm just wondering if the city is on the up and up or not.

3.) I can kinda guess what the "best" things about Nashville would be if I asked, so what are the worst?

Thanks for all the responses.
The Gulch is a very urban neighborhood (large scale apartment/condo buildings/towers) and an ongoing construction project. In essentially did not exist as a residential neighborhood 10 years ago. It's a work in progress. I think it's a safe area any time during the day, but it's not necessarily a place I would wander out past the 'built' areas alone at night (i.e. away from the residences -- where it can be pretty much abandoned at night). It is adjacent to downtown, and even has a free bus service.

Germantown (and Salemtown) is a mix of single family houses and newer multifamily buildings. Like the Gulch, a lot is going on there (possibly more than any other neighborhood in town -- really a lot). Unlike the Gulch, it was already a neighborhood 10 years ago...albeit not nearly as popular. It has a mix of historic/classical and modern styles. I wouldn't rent there...I would buy. Super convenient to downtown, with an excellent view. I think the neighborhood itself is safe, but it's not too far removed from some worse for wear areas.

Sylvan Park is primarily houses...so if you're looking at renting, it's probably not a great option (unless you find a house to rent or are open to that). Popular neighborhood. In the later stages of gentrification. Pretty safe. Apartments/multifamily may eventually come to Charlotte Pk, but likely not to any part of the 'neighborhood.'

Berry Hill itself is a tiny 1 square mile independent city in Davidson County...primarily commercial/industrial with about 700 residents. The part of the city that is starting to see development (along 8th Ave) is 'Melrose'...and it's mostly a commercial avenue with houses to the west. There are a few aparments/condos close by...a few. They are building more. If something is available, check it out. Perhaps not as 'cool' as the other areas, but it has the potential to change pretty quickly.

Hillsboro Village is adjacent to Vandy. It's a busy, active area...but also has a good bit of Vandy students about. Biggest drawback is congestion. It's biggest pro is it has been established and stable for a bit longer than most of the other hoods. Plenty of walkers/joggers...though it has way too much traffic to do that for my tastes.

Green Hills is more suburban than the other areas you mentioned. It's not as walkable/joggable (or any other made up word I can think of) but not impossible to do so. Plenty of apartments, plenty of houses. Houses in the vicinity are expensive. Most of the apartments are not new (unlike many of the other areas mentioned). Easily within 30 minutes of downtown during non-commuting times...but traffic is terrible, and that is one of the busiest corridors in town. Hillsboro Rd/21st is nightmarish at times. Pros: many many more amenities in the Green Hills commercial district than the others mentioned. Lots of upscale shopping.

You rattled off some pretty popular spots, so rather than $800-1,100, I think you'll be starting at $1,100 and going north for a 2 BR.

Job market here is probably more favorable than average...but our usual advice is find a job before you move.

I'll preface the 'worst things about Nashville' with the best thing is the vision and direction of the city. In general, we're really starting to hit our stride.

Worst things:
-Inadequate to non-existent public transportation outside of the core (the core is adequate, but not great). One commuter rail line (to Lebanon)...we need at least 4. No Amtrak.

-Crime rate, especially violent crime is too high. It has gotten better, but still well above a lot of peer cities.

-Public schools (in the city) are below par. They're not all bad...in fact the magnet schools are top notch. But the regular schools don't have a good reputation.

-Greenways/bike lanes. We got in the game late. We're building and expanding the network...just way behind.

-Sprawl -- it still continues today, but it was nasty bad in the 90s and early 2000s. Infrastructure still hasn't caught up (narrow windy 2 lane roads with no shoulders and lots of traffic).

Natural concerns:
-Unpredictable and occasionally violent weather (flash floods, high winds, tornadoes, earth-shaking thunderstorms, occasional ice, extreme heat and humidity, droughts).

-Underneath the topsoil (which is often muddy clay) is limestone. It makes digging any kind of hole a total b*tch. So bury your bodies elsewhere.

Those are some of the things I don't particularly like. I could probably add more if I thought about it. Feel free to ask me to elaborate on anything. Generally speaking, though, I think the pros far outweigh the cons...but that's for each person to decide.

Old 03-04-2013, 09:19 AM

3,760 posts, read 6,701,179 times
I agree with Nashvols in terms of budget. $1100 is more of a starting point but a very reasonable one. And if you don't have a clue about Nashville, you should visit first! Where will you be moving from and what other cities are you considering?

Old 03-04-2013, 05:31 PM

Thanks for the help.

We will be moving (potentially, anyway) from Pittsburgh. No kids, late 20s. We will likely be visiting in a couple of weeks and have been researching things to see as well as places to live. Upon some review (with some minor exceptions) it does seem like 2 bedrooms are tough to come by in these neighborhoods. Is it worth spending 1100-1200 in one of these neighborhoods or go to the suburbs? What are some safe suburbs that I could rent in for 1000 or less and how bad would the commute be?

Old 03-04-2013, 05:42 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shikes View Post
Thanks for the help.

We will be moving (potentially, anyway) from Pittsburgh. No kids, late 20s. We will likely be visiting in a couple of weeks and have been researching things to see as well as places to live. Upon some review (with some minor exceptions) it does seem like 2 bedrooms are tough to come by in these neighborhoods. Is it worth spending 1100-1200 in one of these neighborhoods or go to the suburbs? What are some safe suburbs that I could rent in for 1000 or less and how bad would the commute be?
Whether it is worth it or not is truly up to the individual. If you value living in an urban environment over a suburban environment, then it is worth it. If you value having a 5-15 minute commute (assume you're working downtown or Midtown) over a 30-45 minute commute, then it is worth it.

However, there are definitely some disadvantages to living in the core area. There are a few shopping places scattered around, but not a ton...certainly not the options you would have in some of the suburban areas. I think that is something that will change, as more people move into the city...but it will take some time before that is in place.

Suburban cost and commute times varies greatly. Some of the suburbs are actually within the city of Nashville (Bellevue, Antioch, Hermitage, Madison, etc), and then there are independent cities outside of the county...Mount Juliet, Hendersonville, Smyrna, Murfreesboro, Franklin. They all vary greatly in terms of what they offer (size and amenities-wise), their distance and commute time, and the cost of living. For instance, you can find some sort of psuedo-urban living options in Franklin, which are highly convenient to shopping areas...but if you work downtown, you have a 30-40+ minute commute. And they'll likely cost the same as their counterparts in the city.

Old 03-04-2013, 06:03 PM

2,325 posts, read 2,517,741 times
You don't say but I'm assuming you'll have a car. Public transit is abysmal. And because of the sprawl and the fact that you don't know where you'll be working, it's hard to recommend an area based on commute time. There are job centers (office and otherwise) in other areas than downtown so you can' assume you'll work there. I don't know anybody who does and I never did. So until you get a permanent job, you might consider as short a term lease as you can get (that's actually a good idea anyway since you're coming from somewhere else and don't really know the area).

The violent crime has been mentioned. I'm a petite woman and I am always very careful when I'm out alone - whatever city I'm in. But I wouldn't jog after dark alone if I had an option unless it was in an area with a lot of other people out on the streets. I know too many women who have been mugged - and in very good parts of town - to do this. But maybe I'm just paranoid.

IMO, the worst thing about Nashville is the weather. It gets really cold and it gets really hot/humid. The violent weather can be scary.

Old 03-04-2013, 06:49 PM

Just as an example,

Here are available apartments in Lennox Village:

Tennessee New Homes & Town Homes, Home Builder for Columbia, Nashville, Cane Ridge, Smyrna, Murfreesboro, Tennessee. - Residential Leasing | Regent Homes

(The Easton has a "flex" room that looks interesting)

And here's a complex in Franklin, close to 65:

Viera Cool Springs - Apartments for Rent in Franklin, TN | About Us

They DO have some 2 bedrooms for under $1000 - might be some kind of special. Depends on what is more important - location or price? Not a lot of jogging paths but I think there is a school close by, maybe with a running track?

Old 03-05-2013, 12:23 PM

I've been trying to do some research on Nashville suburbs just to get an idea of how far away they are and what the prices are and it seems like I can only find info on the Franklin/Cool Springs area being pretty safe and attractive and the Antioch area being a "stay away/ no safe" zone. What are some other suburbs within the area that are considered safe?

Old 03-05-2013, 12:38 PM

Nashvols answered your question about neighborhoods very comprehensively above! Did you read her post? If you need more info on a specific area, which she has listed for you, close all the threads and go to the blue bar, upper right to the SEARCH THIS FORUM option and type in the same of the area (like "Gulch" or even "apartments"). Every area has it's safe and unsafe areas I think. Most of Franklin/Cool Springs is OK but it's not like no crimes every happen here. Antioch has a bad rep but I had friends who lived there peacefully and happily for 5 years. It's a huge area.

What sort of job are you looking for? Is it something that has to be done in a specific area (like the airport, or at a downtown brokerage firm)? If so, that will narrow down your search.

Find a few apartments you like (check padmapper.com) in your price range and then come back and tell us where they are and maybe someone can shed light on that area. Impossible to list good/bad areas by streets and you also have a budget to consider.

Really, try the Search This Forum feature as there is a LOT of great info here!

Old 03-05-2013, 01:36 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by CountryGirl2b= View Post
Nashvols answered your question about neighborhoods very comprehensively above! Did you read her post? If you need more info on a specific area, which she has listed for you, close all the threads and go to the blue bar, upper right to the SEARCH THIS FORUM option and type in the same of the area (like "Gulch" or even "apartments"). Every area has it's safe and unsafe areas I think. Most of Franklin/Cool Springs is OK but it's not like no crimes every happen here. Antioch has a bad rep but I had friends who lived there peacefully and happily for 5 years. It's a huge area.

What sort of job are you looking for? Is it something that has to be done in a specific area (like the airport, or at a downtown brokerage firm)? If so, that will narrow down your search.

Find a few apartments you like (check padmapper.com) in your price range and then come back and tell us where they are and maybe someone can shed light on that area. Impossible to list good/bad areas by streets and you also have a budget to consider.

Really, try the Search This Forum feature as there is a LOT of great info here!
Well...'his' post.

I'd make for a pretty ugly girl.

Relative safety can vary pretty greatly depending on one's perspective. People will give the usual blanket advice for FranklinBrentwoodMountJulietHendersonville in terms of being 'safe' places...and really, they are. But a lot of the suburbs are at least mostly safe, and plenty of the city neighborhoods are as well. Even big bad Antioch has its better and safer areas.

You're going to find people on both sides of the fence when it comes to crime rate in an area. It might depend on what you're used to. One person might not be bothered by reports of violent crime a few blocks over, another may be very bothered by reports of violent crime anywhere in town.

I just say this as a caution, because depending on the definition of 'safe' applied, you might find yourself very limited in your options.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Tennessee > Nashville