Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Tennessee > Nashville
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-25-2007, 01:18 PM

4,739 posts, read 10,434,489 times

Advertisements

Would someone care to share impressions of Northfield Elementary, Siegel Middle, and Siegel High?

Recommend a Murfreesboro area private / Christian school?

What about Ezell-Harding? Too far? Worth the drive from Murfreesboro?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-25-2007, 05:48 PM

1,715 posts, read 6,978,530 times
Default just some thoughts, don't take offense anyone

Quote:
Originally Posted by Reactionary View Post
Would someone care to share impressions of Northfield Elementary
Never been there and only know one teacher there. I have only heard really good things about this school.

Quote:
Siegel Middle
Haven't been to this school, but it's held in high regard.

Quote:
and Siegel High?
As a parent it would probably be fine to send kids there, as it seems to be a sought after school. However, I wouldn't want to work there. I taught a few classes there and had a terrible experience. There are a lot of stuck-up kids that have a sense of entitlement. Maybe that was just an isolated incident though? As far as Murfreesboro goes, you need some money to be in that school zone.

Quote:
I've heard really good things about the Webb School in Bell Buckle, but it has similar costs to Vanderbilt. (okay, I'm exaggerating, but still...)

A lot of people like Middle Tennessee Christian School (K-12) and St. Rose (Catholic; K-8).

Quote:
Probably a pretty good haul, but my buddy really liked going there in the 90s.

Old 10-25-2007, 06:49 PM

Thanks for your response, Mike - I've been to 'Daffodil Day' at Bell Buckle

I've also read some of your earlier posts on schools (i.e., comment about TCAP scores).

Northfield gets in the 50-60 range on TN DOE Report Card (NCLB). Erma Siegel scores better (mid 60s) - any impressions as to why? Are those scores good for Tennessee (no offense intended)?

Do you know of sources (I've been to greatschools) for data on middle or high schools? Or is that a good source?

Old 10-25-2007, 07:30 PM

2,865 posts, read 9,363,994 times
Quote:
Would someone care to share impressions of Northfield Elementary, Siegel Middle, and Siegel High?

Ezell Harding is near the Percy Prist Lake area so its really to far from Murfreesboro.

Diane

Last edited by Diane Giam; 10-25-2007 at 07:31 PM.. Reason: Spelling

Old 10-26-2007, 07:58 AM

Quote:
Northfield gets in the 50-60 range on TN DOE Report Card (NCLB). Erma Siegel scores better (mid 60s) - any impressions as to why?
Kids with more money? Usually schools tend to perform better on standardized tests where the parents are more affluent. There's more money in the Siegel area than the Northfield area. I can't explain why, but that's the case most anywhere you go.

Quote:
Are those scores good for Tennessee (no offense intended)?
I'm not really sure. However, it's no secret that Tennessee schools aren't the most sought after in the nation.

Quote:
Do you know of sources (I've been to greatschools) for data on middle or high schools? Or is that a good source?
Around November, the local papers run a really huge issue that compiles all the standardized test scores for the entire mid-state. I don't know why it takes that long though. The middle schools have had most of their scores since early summer.

You might can find some additional information about tests scores from these links:

various TNDOE reports

TN Department of Education:K-12 (http://state.tn.us/education/mdata.shtml - broken link)

Also, sometimes each school will post the info on their website.

Rutherford County Schools

Old 10-26-2007, 11:50 AM

Thanks again Mike - I guess me asking 'why?' is pretty much somewhere between duh and rhetorical.

I saw that Erma Siegel had IIRC ~15% reduced lunch vs ~50% reduced lunch at Northfield. RCS has a school zone lookup - which isn't all that helpful if you're trying to look at neighborhoods on Google Map. I'm trying to figure out what neighborhoods in the Northfield zone make up the reduced lunch population.

I note that Brentwood and Franklin schools don't score much higher than Siegel. Kudos to TN DOE for making NCLB info accessible (many states don't have good websites / interfaces).

Old 10-26-2007, 03:19 PM

Quote:
I'm trying to figure out what neighborhoods in the Northfield zone make up the reduced lunch population.
I should have provided a Murfreesboro City Schools link. I forgot Northfield is a city school, rather than a county school.

I tried to find a zone map for it, but didn't come across one. If you find one I can probably tell you what those areas are.

Old 11-24-2007, 08:09 AM

1 posts, read 4,871 times
Default Rutherford School Zones

Try this link to help you out with school zone locatioins...
Rutherford County Schools (http://www.rcs.k12.tn.us/rc/schools/schools_frameset.htm - broken link)

Old 11-24-2007, 08:23 AM

180 posts, read 596,785 times
Persoanlly, I would go with Blackman High and Middle for my kids. An all around better experience in my opinion.

Old 10-07-2008, 10:22 PM

5 posts, read 12,712 times
What do you think about Blackman vs. Siegel schools
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Tennessee > Nashville