Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Tennessee > Nashville
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 10-31-2007, 09:35 AM

74 posts, read 286,036 times

Advertisements

Hello,

I have found this site very helpful to read so I figured I would put my own post on here. Currently I am a 26 year old high school economics teacher from the chicago land area. I am looking at moving to the nashville area within the next 3-4 years and wish to continue teaching high school. I checked out the process of transfering teacher certificate from one state to the next, so my questions are;

Has on here anyone who held a teaching license in another state ever transfered to TN? If so, how did the process go? I read that sometimes you have to re-take state tests even with a valid out of state license.

Also, can anyone help me with a list of the best paying and highest academic performing schools in the area?

I have looked at the murfreesboro area and really like it. Any other suggestions?

I am surely going to take a hit in pay as school teachers get paid really well up here but our cost of living is very high. For example, a 26 year old with a masters and 4 years of experience can easily make nearly 80k a year with teaching and doing a few extra's. On the other hand a 980 sq.ft house 35 minutes outside chicago can run nearly 300k too. I guess its all relative.

Thanks in advance for your help...
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-31-2007, 10:53 AM

13,354 posts, read 39,963,688 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by kaedebonsai View Post
Hello,

I have found this site very helpful to read so I figured I would put my own post on here. Currently I am a 26 year old high school economics teacher from the chicago land area. I am looking at moving to the nashville area within the next 3-4 years and wish to continue teaching high school. I checked out the process of transfering teacher certificate from one state to the next, so my questions are;

Has on here anyone who held a teaching license in another state ever transfered to TN? If so, how did the process go? I read that sometimes you have to re-take state tests even with a valid out of state license.

Also, can anyone help me with a list of the best paying and highest academic performing schools in the area?

I have looked at the murfreesboro area and really like it. Any other suggestions?

I am surely going to take a hit in pay as school teachers get paid really well up here but our cost of living is very high. For example, a 26 year old with a masters and 4 years of experience can easily make nearly 80k a year with teaching and doing a few extra's. On the other hand a 980 sq.ft house 35 minutes outside chicago can run nearly 300k too. I guess its all relative.

Thanks in advance for your help...
I have a friend who transferred her teaching certificate from Mississippi to Tennessee and had no problems.

As far as school districts that pay a lot and are high on academic standards in the Nashville area, it would be hard to beat Franklin. Of course, the cost of living in Franklin is also rather high, but just because you teach there doesn't mean you have to live there. I'd put the rest of Williamson County's schools in a close 2nd to Franklin's schools.

Old 10-31-2007, 01:44 PM

1,715 posts, read 6,980,844 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by kaedebonsai View Post
I read that sometimes you have to re-take state tests even with a valid out of state license.
TN K-12 Teacher Licensing should explain out of state certification requirements.

Quote:
The highest performing public schools are probably MLK and Hume Fogg, but I would assume it would be very difficult to get a job there? Maybe I'm wrong. Other schools that are well regarded in middle TN are Ravenwood HS, Hillwood HS, Siegel HS, and Blackman HS. I think Hunters Lane and maybe Hillsboro have IB programs.

As far as pay is concerned these sites should help:

MNPS
Rutherford County Salary Schedule (http://www.rcs.k12.tn.us/rc/hr/cert_salary_2007_07.pdf - broken link)
Williamson County Salary Schedule (http://www.wcs.edu/careers/salary/teacher.pdf - broken link)

It's been a while since I've looked at them, but I'm sure they are very similar in pay (+/- ~5%).

Quote:
If you are a young, single person, keep in mind that there isn't a lot to do in M'boro, at least compared to Nashville.

Quote:
I am surely going to take a hit in pay as school teachers get paid really well up here but our cost of living is very high. For example, a 26 year old with a masters and 4 years of experience can easily make nearly 80k a year with teaching and doing a few extra's.
You are probably looking at low/mid 40s here, but check the salary schedule. However, just because you taught 4 years elsewhere does not mean MNPS will give you four years credit for teaching. I know of a few teachers that taught 10+ years in other states, but when they transfered to Rutherford County Schools they had to start out at 0 years. I'm not saying it always happens, but I would check on it first.

Quote:
On the other hand a 980 sq.ft house 35 minutes outside chicago can run nearly 300k too. I guess its all relative.
Well, let's compare the two...

The data I have from a few months ago shows that the median sales price for homes in metro Nashville was $190,000 and metro Chicago was $267,000. You mentioned you like Murfreesboro; the median sales price here is probably about $149,000.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Tennessee > Nashville