Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Tennessee > Nashville
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 05-08-2013, 08:18 AM

82 posts, read 238,718 times

Advertisements

Just wondering how many people have moved to Nashville area and for what reason....what do you like...not like compared to where you moved from or just in general......any input is appreciated...
Thanks so much!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-08-2013, 08:32 PM

838 posts, read 1,210,668 times
I moved to Nashville from San Antonio. My biggest complaints about San Antonio have to do with the oppressive heat for 6-8 months of the year and a mentality that seems to welcome low paying jobs because there is a low cost of living. I was also less than enamored with a culture that tends to favor Spanish over English. Did I mention excessive property taxes because, if I didn't, I should have.

Things I love about Nashville are, first and foremost the climate\four seasons. I love the beauty of the area and the rolling hills. Even though a fair amount of the area leans toward the conservative side, there still seems to be a fair amount of respect for the environment and the beauty that exists here.

I love that a low cost of living doesn't necessitate low wages in Nashville.

I love that there is something for everyone here and I love that to some extent there is a bit of segregation. If you're looking for diversity (culture, race, finance, religion), there are plenty of places for you in Nashville. If you prefer a little less diversity, there are areas for you too. Everyone seems to peacefully coexist here.

There is also a lot to do in Nashville, whether your life is geared more toward a more young, single lifestyle or more of a family lifestyle - whether you're blue collar or white collar there is PLENTY for you to do here. Everyone knows about the music in the area but there are also museums, tons of history, top level sports leagues and a ridiculous array of upper education opportunities. Nashville is like a very large metro in that it seems to have everything you would expect in a large city yet it seems to somehow maintain a small town feel if that makes sense.

While I love the reputation that Nashville has been gaining over the last few years, I also regret that so many others are moving here and I fear over-population.

I really don't know if there is a better way to describe Nashville other than to say, it just has personality.

YMMV,
Brian

Old 05-09-2013, 09:22 AM

4,344 posts, read 4,719,378 times
Moved just about 1 year ago from San Francisco.

LIKE:
lots to do all the time
music (many kinds)
able to buy a house (which will be an investment after I move back)
good restaurants (but pricey)
many great coffee places

DISLIKE:
work ethic of many (it's definitely not the same as either coast)
winter (I HATE HATE HATE HATE HATE HATE cold, which is anything under 75F)
rain/thunder/lightning (I'm used to no rain from June-Sept)
too many trees (I don't find the landscape beautiful at all)
no desert
no ocean
lack of GOOD ethnic food
traffic
lack of public transportation
not very walkable
drunk drivers
texting and driving
cell phone use and driving

Old 05-09-2013, 08:31 PM

957 posts, read 3,699,267 times
We love it here, but are moving to Jackson, TN for business reasons. The cost of living here is low in comparison to many other states, but high when compared to other areas in TN. Basically, our customer base is national, not local and we couldn't afford the million+ price tag on a commercial building here. From an employers POV, work ethic also seems to be better, probably because jobs are harder to come by.

Old 05-10-2013, 04:52 AM

1,432 posts, read 3,842,861 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by rossc View Post
We love it here, but are moving to Jackson, TN for business reasons. The cost of living here is low in comparison to many other states, but high when compared to other areas in TN. Basically, our customer base is national, not local and we couldn't afford the million+ price tag on a commercial building here. From an employers POV, work ethic also seems to be better, probably because jobs are harder to come by.
I agree about work ethic. I found my staff in Nashvile to be much more motivated than my new ones here in New England.

Old 05-11-2013, 01:04 AM

3,633 posts, read 5,787,649 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ohiosgreat View Post
Just wondering how many people have moved to Nashville area and for what reason....what do you like...not like compared to where you moved from or just in general......any input is appreciated...
Thanks so much!
I moved from Florida (Miami and Orlando areas) because God guided my path here. Also because of family and financial situations. What I do like about the Nashville area is that people on the surface are way more friendly than Florida. In Nashville people will hold the door open for you as you are behind them. In Florida it's like a good day if someone is nice enough to care that you're behind them trying to go through a door they just opened for themselves.

I like that there is way less road rage here in Nashville compared to Florida. I also like that crime is minimal here in Nashville if you stay away from certain areas, and use street smarts. In Florida random crimes happen anywhere. The mentality here so far in my 3 years in Nashville has been that people here are not overly concerned about locking doors or making sure there aren't items just sitting in the car as you go into a store. I've seen on a few occasions in Nashville where people actually left the car running and windows down as they head on into a gas station which was odd to me, but it makes you feel safer than living in a big city like Miami where you don't do those things.

I like the history and culture of Nashville because it feels like it has an identity which Orlando doesn't feel that way. What I dislike about Nashville is the 'way' people drive here. A few habits I see around here are how people do not know how to use that median lane where you are supposed to get into to make left turns. People also love letting people cut in front of them out of being nice yet they forget that when they slam the brakes or slow down that fast to do so, that they may get rear-ended. I also dislike how it feels like people are all up in your business. I guess that comes from that southern hospitality where people care about what people are doing around them to be polite or to simply be aware of others, but sometimes that southern hospitality goes too far and gets into your space which I don't think they even know they are crossing a line.

Such as when I go out to a bar and wear sunglasses at night, and people always stare or come up and comment in a way to tell me that it's stupid without actually saying it. Never had a problem in Florida with people caring how I was dressed or if I wore some sunglasses at night, so it can be a little annoying at first, but then you get tired of people being nosey and you just do it to get people pissed because they don't like it. Even though Nashville has a lot more diversity than people would think, it also still has prejudice that isn't on the level of what I ever saw in Miami and Orlando.

I never heard people saying anything or giving weird looks when they hear a different language than English. It's not overwhelming prejudice, but you will run into people who do make smart-azz comments in public sometimes when they are in a group and somebody 'different' from them comes in the room. That's just a fact. These are some of the things I have personally seen when comparing where I came from to where I am now.

p.s. Peoples' idea of a thunderstorm or hard rain in Nashville is laughable to people from Florida. Just the truth. I was getting my taxes done at H&R Block one day when I first moved up here on a rainy day, and all of the sudden people were talking amongst each other in the waiting area like it was a bad storm as a small rumble of thunder came, and I said to myself, "They gotta be joking right?"...lol

Old 05-17-2013, 08:48 AM

111 posts, read 598,829 times
"I wear my sunglasses at night so I can...so I can keep track of the visions in my mind." sorry
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Tennessee > Nashville