U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Tennessee > Nashville
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-08-2013, 12:39 PM

5 posts, read 6,033 times

Advertisements

Hi All,
I am originally from Florida, lived there for 16 years. Moved to Connecticut and have been here for 16 years. Now looking to move to Tennessee. Why Tennessee? I'm somewhat familiar with western NC so figured it can't be much different (family vacations regularly). I believe it has a slower pace and it's quaint.

I work in IT and am searching for a job in Nashville and looking for a home about 45 minutes out. Ideally I am looking for lots of privacy, woods, 10+ acres. Looking for a good school. I have a wife and 4 month old son.

My wife is a CPA and works for one of the Big 4 accounting firms. I think she would have an easier time finding a job with that work background than I would.

Here is my concern. It has been brought to my attention recently by a coworker and I hadn't thought of it much or how to answer it.

My wife is originally from Puerto Rico she moved to and has lived in Connecticut since she was 6 years old.
Do those of you in TN foresee any potential ethnicity confrontations?

We are not ghetto and are pro 2a, lol if that helps ... (hence the exodus of CT)
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-08-2013, 12:51 PM

49,943 posts, read 54,417,294 times
"Ethnicity confrontations"?

Well, regular folks won't demand to see her papers.

Unless she's a weirdo or just mean, she probably won't get a second look.

Old 05-08-2013, 01:21 PM

"Ethnicity confrontations" - yea I was trying to word that nicely.
Moving to the south sometimes has negative connotations around racism. So I thought it would be best to ask and get a pulse of how it would be viewed in a rural area. White guy, Puerto Rican woman, and a mixed of the two child.

Old 05-08-2013, 02:11 PM

3,828 posts, read 7,937,641 times
Probably no concerns. Immigration is a hot button issue around here (as it is everywhere else pretty much). So I guess there's a chance someone could make an uninformed comment about ethnicity, but I sincerely doubt there's any higher chance of that happening here than in CT, FL or anywhere else in the nation.

Biracial families are pretty common in my experience in this area.

Old 05-08-2013, 02:31 PM

175 posts, read 351,448 times
I wouldn't worry about it. My best friend is Peurto Rican and just married a white man. I have been with her in lots of places obviously and never once encountered a problem like that. Btw, I would look at Leiper's Fork. It's a great little town with excellent schools.

Old 05-08-2013, 03:42 PM

265 posts, read 457,687 times
Ironically we are looking to move to CT from Brentwood! I wouldn't expect that you will have an issue based on your ethnicities--at least in the general Nashville area. I would think that in most of the ring suburbs and Nashville itself, you won't find it an issue. Perhaps farther out in the more rural areas, but that is simply speculation and not based on anything I've seen while living here.

As for specific areas, you will be able to get more advice if you mention more particulars (budget, how large a town you desire, etc.). We have been mostly pleased with the schools in Brentwood; BHS was just listed as one of the nation's top schools in the lists put out by The Washington Post, US News & World Report, and Newsweek. Whether or not you hold much stock in those ratings, it's still somewhat helpful to be able to compare a school in TN to one in another state.

Out of curiosity, what is "pro 2a" that you mention?

Old 05-08-2013, 04:50 PM

620 posts, read 1,760,359 times
Possibly pro 2nd amendment???

Old 05-08-2013, 05:28 PM

831 posts, read 1,129,728 times
With regard to ethnicity concerns, if you come here with the goal of fitting in, you will. If you come here with the goal of changing Nashville to fit the culture you're leaving, you should probably stay where you are. I don't think the general populace here has any issue with anyone of any ethnicity so much as they do people that come here with the expectation that Nashville will be something it isn't.

Old 05-08-2013, 06:40 PM

Thanks for the responses. Yes, we are not trying to stir things up, we definitely want to fit in, not make waves.

Pro2a = pro 2nd amendment,
A lot of people across the US are angry with the gun laws passed in CT and how they are trying to trickle them into federal law. Thought it would be a good thing to mention before people passed any judgement on that front when providing feedback on my question. We are not ambassadors of gun control

I wasn't even thinking immigration as some people have mentioned. I guess if she gets confused as a Mexican that could be an issue.

What about the more rural areas around Nashville? Any area I should definitely stay clear of when looking for a home?

more details:
looking to spend no more than 275k on house+property. want 10+ acres. lots of woods. good schools

Last edited by aepp; 05-08-2013 at 06:53 PM.. Reason: added more details

Old 05-09-2013, 05:08 AM

4,113 posts, read 4,119,446 times
Quote:
I wasn't even thinking immigration as some people have mentioned. I guess if she gets confused as a Mexican that could be an issue.
Well, she will likely be thought of as Mexican regularly. It happens to my Filipino American co-worker all the time. I'm still trying to figure that out.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Tennessee > Nashville