Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Tennessee > Nashville
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-19-2013, 06:17 AM

48 posts, read 122,749 times

Advertisements

Love downtown urban living. Need a little advise in downtown Nashville to live. Concerned about safety and crime particularly walking the dog at night, going out for dinner , etc. I know about the police crime maps etc but would rather rely on local knowledge. I would appreciate local opinions concerning the Capital area going south thru Printer's Row and down thru the Broadway attractions area. Currently looking at lofts in The District. Any issues with Riverfront Park after dark?

What downtown area is suggested ?

Thanks.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-19-2013, 08:37 AM

49,932 posts, read 59,901,366 times
I think walking to dinner would be fine. Not so sure about late-night dog walks.While police have increased their presence at night, there have been a few attacks over the past couple years, particularly in the Bicentennial Mall area. There is a large homeless population downtown, so I would use strict standards of personal safety.

The Broadway area is busy, but after a certain hour it is late-night partiers. We have one poster here who lives downown and can offer day to day experience.

Old 05-19-2013, 11:26 AM

473 posts, read 520,694 times
Nashville's actual downton is mainly a business and tourist destination. Even with the new condos there, it doesn't have that same "city center" feel you're probably after. Before you commit, you might want to check out some of the condos in the Gulch or off of Division Street in the Music Row area (both on Division and south of it.). You'd also be more centrally located to more non-touristy bars and restaurants.

Last edited by WanderingFar; 05-19-2013 at 11:42 AM..

Old 05-19-2013, 11:33 AM

49 posts, read 85,975 times
I would recommend living in the Gulch, though I don't know about the safety in the area between the Gulch and Downtown. Like other posters have said, not many folks actually live within downtown. Many people who enjoy an urban lifestyle live in the inner city neighborhoods surrounding downtown like the Gulch, Germantown, or East Nashville.

For safety in downtown, there are a LOT of homeless people and I have been hassled several times with homeless people while downtown at Night. I would avoid Bicentennial Mall, Riverfront Park, and the area around the Shelby Street Pedestrian Bridge at night.

Old 05-19-2013, 12:43 PM

4,344 posts, read 4,717,731 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by greyrussell94 View Post
I would recommend living in the Gulch, though I don't know about the safety in the area between the Gulch and Downtown. Like other posters have said, not many folks actually live within downtown. Many people who enjoy an urban lifestyle live in the inner city neighborhoods surrounding downtown like the Gulch, Germantown, or East Nashville.

For safety in downtown, there are a LOT of homeless people and I have been hassled several times with homeless people while downtown at Night. I would avoid Bicentennial Mall, Riverfront Park, and the area around the Shelby Street Pedestrian Bridge at night.
Agree. I live in the North Gulch and could easily walk to/from work, but I work West Coast hours so do NOT feel comfortable walking down Church Street past the homeless encampment after dark. Walking down Broadway to the other end of the Gulch seems to be fine.

Old 05-21-2013, 11:08 AM

Thanks for all the feedback to which I have now personally experienced which is actually to bad because if the city would take some inititive to control the situation, I think the downtown area has potential to be a great hub for residents. Have decided on the West End area. So far offers all we need without any issues experienced.

Unless anyone has had any bad experiences , have enjoyed walking the dog in Centeninal Park. Everyone I have spoken with says the same. Just to clarify , we are early to bed types and in by 9:00 PM. Not sure what happens there after that.

Thanks again.

Old 05-21-2013, 12:21 PM

6,662 posts, read 13,325,072 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by luke12 View Post
Thanks for all the feedback to which I have now personally experienced which is actually to bad because if the city would take some inititive to control the situation, I think the downtown area has potential to be a great hub for residents.
I would agree about the potential.

Downtown residential is a work in progress. Most of the residential growth has been/will be in the adjacent areas, such as The Gulch and Rolling Mill Hill. SoBro will likely see more high rise residential than downtown (at least that's how I feel about it right now), but I think most of the growth in SoBro's immediate future will be hotel related.

I think downtown could see a couple of developments, and perhaps a apartment or condo conversion from one of the older office towers, but I think one of the things that holds downtown back compared to the other areas is the scope of the development. Downtown land values are so high that almost anything built will have to be a high rise. With all of the competition from the other adjacent neighborhoods, I think downtown is a little more risky for a developer.

I think eventually downtown will be a great place for residents...but I think it will primarily happen after some of these other neighborhoods emerge.

Old 05-21-2013, 08:23 PM

3,037 posts, read 3,304,919 times
Quote:
Thanks for all the feedback to which I have now personally experienced which is actually to bad because if the city would take some inititive to control the situation, I think the downtown area has potential to be a great hub for residents. Have decided on the West End area. So far offers all we need without any issues experienced.

Unless anyone has had any bad experiences , have enjoyed walking the dog in Centeninal Park. Everyone I have spoken with says the same. Just to clarify , we are early to bed types and in by 9:00 PM. Not sure what happens there after that.

Thanks again.
After 10pm (depending on any Vandy activities) West End also has it's problems. There is a reason Vandy has it's own full police. The problem is the mix of 170,000 workers vs 25,000 residents in the area.

Old 05-26-2013, 10:34 AM

Thanks for the feedback. We are also looking at Sylvian Park. What is the local perception of this neighborhood ? In particular we have been looking at the Sylvian Park Station and Crossings area. We are active empty nesters in our early 60's. Any local opinions would be greatly appreciated. Thanks again.

Old 05-26-2013, 11:18 AM

6,662 posts, read 13,325,072 times
Quote:
Thanks for the feedback. We are also looking at Sylvian Park. What is the local perception of this neighborhood ? In particular we have been looking at the Sylvian Park Station and Crossings area. We are active empty nesters in our early 60's. Any local opinions would be greatly appreciated. Thanks again.
I think Sylvan Park is a good pick. It's gentrified. It's not quite as trendy as 12th South or the Germantown area or as "cool" as East Nashville. House values have shot up there...and I think they will continue to rise. There are a number of good local neighborhood restaurants to enjoy (I like Cafe Nonna and Park Cafe). I think the commercial strip on Charlotte has tons of potential, but will take some work.

Btw...do you mean West End Station off of Sylvan Park Lane?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Tennessee > Nashville
View detailed profiles of: