Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Tennessee > Nashville
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-22-2013, 12:33 AM

933 posts, read 2,741,221 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by nashvols View Post
I like CG2B's suggestion of the Radnor Lake area (a short drive from Crieve Hall). It's great for hiking, but jogging (except along the main road, which is closed to traffic) is prohibited. So...just walking and easy-to-medium difficulty hiking. It's a state park. The problem is that it's definitely somewhere you would have to drive to (the houses within walking distance are out of your price range).

Other places to consider would be West Meade or Bellevue (proximity to the Warner Parks, which are wonderful for walking/hiking/biking)...though neither is walkable to the parks, and I would discourage biking there.

If you really value being able to walk/bike to a park, I would give some consideration to the Rosebank/Inglewood area of Nashville (East Nashville), especially those closer to Shelby Bottoms (mostly wooded/non landscaped city park). It offers a good number of trails, several access points, and the greenway connects to both the Opryland Area and Shelby Park (an actual park & golf course). It is a lot closer to downtown than the other places mentioned.

There are some suburbs that may work. I think Brentwood is going to be a little too expensive for you. Franklin might have some options, but probably not with .5 acres or more (unless its an older property). You never know, though. Hendersonville has a nice size park in the middle of town. There is a good bit of park land around J Percy Priest Lake...my suggestion would be to look at the more rural eastern side rather than the west.

I almost never suggest Fairview...but they do have a rather large park in town (Bowie Park)...I don't usually suggest it because it's a fairly out of the way place....but if you're looking for something a little more secluded, it might be worth a look.

Feel free to ask more questions so we can help narrow your search.
I second the Rosebank neighborhood. It's next to Shelby Park/Greenway and the city is in the process of converting 141 more acres to park space that used to be the Cornelia Fort Airpark right next to Rosebank. Although the neighborhood doesn't have the same inventory of prewar stock houses like some East Nashville neighborhoods (mostly ranch style houses), it is in a very convienent location, houses are rapidly appreciating in value now, and thanks to some dedicated parents and staff, Rosebank Elementary is starting to get the same great reputation that Lockland Design Center (and Dan Mills in Inglewood) has. It's also pretty close to Walden - which has some pretty cool places like Silly Goose, Ugly Mugs, Jeni's Ice Cream, Rosepepper Cantina, Eastland Cafe, a new Climb Nashville location (being built now along with more restaurant and retail) and other things. There's also the 701 Porter Road development which has a bunch of little shops and Pomodoro East (Italian). The Family Wash is nearby as well. If your looking for a neighborhood close to the city and like greenways, i would definitly take a look at Rosebank. Good luck wherever you end up.

Last edited by yank283; 05-22-2013 at 01:18 AM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-22-2013, 12:27 PM

3 posts, read 3,965 times
Nashvols made some great recommendations. Make sure you visit anything in east nashville and ask neighbors about safety. It's a growng beautiful area but can be patchy.
I also recommend sylvan park. It's in your price range. You won't have the acreage you like but you'll be in a quiet walking community. Walking distance to, one large and one small park, a community center with gym, a golf course, and a few local shops and resturants. It's an established community and always safe and very quiet.

Old 05-22-2013, 03:23 PM

1,432 posts, read 3,842,137 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Stesha View Post
-We are looking for a large park, but not just greenway access or a small park. So, a large park where we could walk or ride a bike basically every day. Where it would be safe to walk alone sometime.
-Preferebly to walk, but drive 5 min is OK.
-We would possibly be interested in a suburban neighborhood with a price range $250 - $300k. We also would like to find a lot 1/2 acre - 1 acre with lots of trees.
- We are going to retire, so a secluded area wiyhout kids is an option.

I would recommend the areas off Caldwell Dr in Goodlettsville. Moss Wright Park is located here and has all the normal park stuff plus a history center and recreation of one of Middle TN's first settlements: Mansker Fort. The park hosts several festivals per year including a colonial fair in May and a colonial "Yulefest" celebration in December. You'll see a lot of people walking/biking/jogging to the park from the surrounding neighborhoods.

Hendersonville has several large parks connected by a greenway system and so does Gallatin. I'm not sure if it's complete yet but eventually Hendersonville and Gallatin's greenway systems will connect.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Tennessee > Nashville