U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Tennessee > Nashville
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 06-09-2013, 08:28 AM

22 posts, read 77,077 times

Advertisements

Okay, we have now closed on a house in Franklin near the Berry Farms development, and I now need to choose a cable and Internet provider. Comcast and ATT are the only two options as best I can tell. How is the quality? We are coming from Verizon Fios. I have never had either of the other companies. My relatives in Ohio have ATT after switching from Time Warner, and they have been happy. However, my relatives do no streaming on the Internet.

My husband will work from home, and he has a videophone through the computer. It looks like Comcast may have faster streaming, but I don't know if that will make any difference. The IT department advised having over 10 mbps, which both companies provide.

For cable, we do prefer HD channels. We do not watch on-demand. We may consider the telephone as part of a bundle, but I have a pre-paid cell and my husband has a cell provided by work.

The now former homeowners apparently had Comcast, as I cannot get an online price because there is supposedly pre-existing service there.

Thanks for your input!
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-09-2013, 09:13 AM

11 posts, read 23,099 times
We had AT&T Internet for 3 years before switching to Comcast. Thank God we did ~ AT&T out here is terrible. We get 26 down as compared to 5.5 down with AT&T and Comcast is cheaper.

I prefer DirecTV over cable TV. So we have Comcast Internet and DirecTV. Best of both worlds IMO!

Old 06-09-2013, 09:21 AM

4,061 posts, read 4,056,972 times
I'm in Nashville and AT&T Uverse was the only option and it is HORRIBLE! Random outages on a regular basis, usually for most of the day. And of course, no adjustment in the bill. I'm moving in a couple of weeks and will go with either Comcast or Dish.

Old 06-09-2013, 09:33 AM

49,943 posts, read 53,931,715 times
We have always had Comcast and got the Comcast Triple Play (home phone, internet, TV) and it has been great. No problems whatsoever.

My friend around the corner switched to U-Verse for internet last year and wants to switch back. She is online constantly for work and fun and is not happy with the service.

Old 06-09-2013, 10:04 AM

3,752 posts, read 6,548,809 times
Another vote for Comcast . . . we have Performance Internet - it's $50 a month but it has been great. I can stream Netflix in bed and on our Apple TV. What TV channels you get are up to you. Might be cheaper if you bundle? Haven't had too much trouble with outages (mostly the power goes out) and there is someone there 24/7 and I don't think I have ever been routed to India. The bundles are listed here:

Comcast Triple Play, Bundles and packages (Internet, Cable TV, and Phone): XFINITY® Triple Play from Comcast

Don't imagine the "NEW SERVICE" deals are any different, they just want your info. We actually DO use the On-Demand not for movies but for missed episodes of Amazing Race or whatever which are free. It comes with the higher scrambled channels. Only ONE box on one TV. The other TVs just have regular cable.

Old 06-09-2013, 12:05 PM

22 posts, read 77,077 times
It looks like it is Comcast hands down. Thanks for your insight. We are really excited to move to the Nashville area...we are counting the days!

Old 06-10-2013, 11:44 AM

7 posts, read 17,110 times
AT&T has also (silently) "rebranded" some of their legacy DSL service into part of their U-verse package. When you get U-verse, you could be getting TV + DSL. That doesn't mean that it's not fast or reliable for streaming, but Comcast can typically exceed the peak download speeds provided by DSL (depends on your area, of course).
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

>