Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Tennessee > Nashville
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-17-2013, 08:20 PM

6,662 posts, read 13,325,072 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sfmarina View Post
When you say leave Metro, that means Nashville proper? That doesn't include Franklin or Brentwood, right?
It can be confusing. When referring to the Metropolitan Statistical Area, you usually see it as Metro Nashville or Nashville Metro Area or Nashville MSA. If you see Metro by itself, it is in reference to the city of Nashville.

Nashville and Davidson County have a metropolitan government, so generally certain services (police, fire, and the public schools) are known colloquially as "Metro," as opposed to any of the other municipalities or counties. Furthermore, the metro government means that the city and county are combined with all services (some small municipalities retain independent services, but by and large, Davidson County = Nashville).

In this case, "leaving Metro" means leaving Nashville's public schools district (Metropolitan Nashville Public Schools, or MNPS).
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-18-2013, 07:50 AM

222 posts, read 638,844 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sfmarina View Post
Thank you! Wow, good info on the schools systems, it gives me a good starting point so thank you! And all of those are in Nashville proper? I would be happy to live more south, closer to Brenwood or Franklin, from what I can tell. I am kinda past the point of needing to be "in" the city.
Yes, the schools mentioned are inside Davidson County--Metro--MNPS.

Old 06-18-2013, 09:33 AM

914 posts, read 1,982,701 times
I wouldn't totally write off Green Hills. There are several 3/2 homes in the $275-350,000 range. They are generally smaller (1500-2000 sq ft) and are in generally good condition. That location would give you great elementary schools with close proximity to VUMC and tons of shopping an amenities. In general that area is in the middle of the shopping/entertainment/restaurant/cultural scene for Nashville. Driving you are <10 minute (and many <5 minutes) to Green Hills mall, midtown, 12South, Hillsboro Village, Belmont, West End, the Gulch, 100 Oaks Mall, and downtown.

Old 06-18-2013, 09:47 AM

3,760 posts, read 7,086,830 times
I love that area but the TRAFFIC drives me batty. Are there secret back roads if you live there????

Old 06-18-2013, 10:15 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by CountryGirl2b= View Post
I love that area but the TRAFFIC drives me batty. Are there secret back roads if you live there????
Traffic in Green Hills is awful. I think it's primarily due to the lack of crossing routes across Hillsboro Road through the commercial district. There are a number of back roads you can take...but it depends on where you are headed.

If you are headed into town, you can take Shackleford, Glen Echo, or Graybar over to Belmont Blvd, then up to 18th, then take Magnolia/16th (Music Row) into town (that avoids the Vanderbilt/Hillsboro Village mess).

Estes is a great north/south street for getting around the west side of Green Hills.

Getting to specific points in Green Hills is trickier, but if you know the closest side street to where you are going, then it isn't all that bad.

For instance, getting to Trader Joe's from the east: From Granny White Pk, turn on Lone Oak Rd, take it all the way to Richard Jones Rd, turn left, and the light at Hillsboro will dump you straight into the Trader Joes parking lot.

Similarly, getting to Whole Foods, take the same route, except before Richard Jones Rd, take a left on Warfield Dr (keep a right at both 'intersections' on Warfield), and then the light at Hillsboro puts you straight across from the Hill Center.

Basically do everything you can to avoid Hillsboro Road itself (if possible). Utilize Hillsboro Circle/Cleghorn/Crestmoor to get around the "back" side of Green Hills and the mall. The best way to get there from where you are coming from, again, take Lone Oak, but turn left at Overhill, continue across Hillsboro for a block (on Hobbs) and turn right on Hillsboro Circle.

The traffic on the backroads isn't always fun, and the intersections with Hillsboro can get backed up...but in the end, it will save you time from waiting on Hillsboro Rd at light after light.

Oh...and coming from Franklin, take I-65 to Harding, then Harding (turns into Battery Ln) to either Leland Ln (if traffic on Battery is heavy), Granny White, or Belmont Park Terrace...right turn for each of those, then a left on Lone Oak (or Glendale Ln, if you take Leland).

This will all make more sense if you look at a map.

https://maps.google.com/?ll=36.09512...42272&t=m&z=15

Old 06-18-2013, 10:44 AM

I am printing out your Green Hills Traffic Secrets and keeping it in my car . . THANKS!!!!

I can't rep you but I will give you a 21 Smile Salute!!!

Last edited by CountryGirl2b=; 06-18-2013 at 11:32 AM..

Old 06-18-2013, 11:31 AM

Hey Raleigh . . Southwest has a sale on at the moment. $58 each way from Raleigh to Nashville. You should come visit!

Old 06-18-2013, 12:44 PM

49,932 posts, read 59,901,366 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by nashvols View Post
Traffic in Green Hills is awful. I think it's primarily due to the lack of crossing routes across Hillsboro Road through the commercial district. There are a number of back roads you can take...but it depends on where you are headed.

If you are headed into town, you can take Shackleford, Glen Echo, or Graybar over to Belmont Blvd, then up to 18th, then take Magnolia/16th (Music Row) into town (that avoids the Vanderbilt/Hillsboro Village mess).

Estes is a great north/south street for getting around the west side of Green Hills.

Getting to specific points in Green Hills is trickier, but if you know the closest side street to where you are going, then it isn't all that bad.

For instance, getting to Trader Joe's from the east: From Granny White Pk, turn on Lone Oak Rd, take it all the way to Richard Jones Rd, turn left, and the light at Hillsboro will dump you straight into the Trader Joes parking lot.

Similarly, getting to Whole Foods, take the same route, except before Richard Jones Rd, take a left on Warfield Dr (keep a right at both 'intersections' on Warfield), and then the light at Hillsboro puts you straight across from the Hill Center.

Basically do everything you can to avoid Hillsboro Road itself (if possible). Utilize Hillsboro Circle/Cleghorn/Crestmoor to get around the "back" side of Green Hills and the mall. The best way to get there from where you are coming from, again, take Lone Oak, but turn left at Overhill, continue across Hillsboro for a block (on Hobbs) and turn right on Hillsboro Circle.

The traffic on the backroads isn't always fun, and the intersections with Hillsboro can get backed up...but in the end, it will save you time from waiting on Hillsboro Rd at light after light.

Oh...and coming from Franklin, take I-65 to Harding, then Harding (turns into Battery Ln) to either Leland Ln (if traffic on Battery is heavy), Granny White, or Belmont Park Terrace...right turn for each of those, then a left on Lone Oak (or Glendale Ln, if you take Leland).

This will all make more sense if you look at a map.

https://maps.google.com/?ll=36.09512...42272&t=m&z=15
This is how seemingly quiet side streets become heavily traveled cut-through roads too. It's a sad side effect.

Old 06-18-2013, 12:50 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wmsn4Life View Post
This is how seemingly quiet side streets become heavily traveled cut-through roads too. It's a sad side effect.
It would be better if city planners made sure that developing areas had connecting streets and fewer offset intersections rather than allowing developments to dump all of their traffic onto one street.

Old 06-18-2013, 03:56 PM

49,932 posts, read 59,901,366 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by nashvols View Post
It would be better if city planners made sure that developing areas had connecting streets and fewer offset intersections rather than allowing developments to dump all of their traffic onto one street.
I agree. Most residents, however, will tell you they prefer NO through traffic in their own neighborhoods.

Where I live, the land of cul-de-sac neighborhoods, people complain about the traffic on the main roads but tell city planners they don't want THEIR OWN streets to cut through.

Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Tennessee > Nashville
View detailed profiles of: