U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Covid-19 Information Page
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Tennessee > Nashville
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-24-2014, 09:50 PM

16 posts, read 31,257 times

Advertisements

You should definitely consider the commute for your family members. Westhaven is a bit of a drive to the interstate (65) so I would suggest to factor that into the decision. Westhaven is a nice community, and they do offer a lot for families and kids.

With that said, Franklin is a very family oriented place itself. There are several charming neighborhoods. I am happy to give you the names of a couple of great real estate agents if you pm me and want connected.

This community is an easy place to get your kids involved with other kids in almost any neighborhood. Neighborhood pools are common. Do you plan to send your children to public school?

When you drive out to Westhaven, you can get a good feel for what the commute is like and see if that fits for you. Fieldstone Farms and McKays Mill are two large, popular neighborhoods with community pools, playgrounds and short drives to the store. Location is important, and from there, you have many friendly and great places to choose from for your family.
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-24-2014, 10:15 PM

16 posts, read 31,257 times
I want to add to my other reply - if you really want a big yard or really like your privacy, you may need to rule out Westhaven.

For your budget, you should have plenty of options for a good sized house with a yard in Franklin. If you look around, you will notice that you will pay a lot more for a home in Westhaven that you would for the same square footage elsewhere. On the other hand, if you want Seaside, then Westhaven is for you! If you come to town and look at a house there, make sure to walk around, see the clubhouse, check out the pool. I love visiting friends there, but the commute doesn't work for us.

Old 06-25-2014, 07:50 AM

2,334 posts, read 4,741,183 times
I've been driving to Vanderbilt everyday for the last week and a half. Except for the one morning there was an accident, it has been a consistent 30-35 minute trip from Westhaven leaving a little before 8am.

Old 06-25-2014, 08:21 PM

46 posts, read 80,975 times
Don't let the commute scare you. We moved to Nashville 2 years ago and were set on Westhaven but got scared away because everyone said it's soooooo far from the city. We settled in Forest Hills and knew within the first year we should have gone with our first choice. Anyway, we sold and moved to Westhaven about six weeks ago and couldn't be happier. Interestingly we have met 4 other new residents that did the same thing we did, lol. I take my daughter to the Nashville Ballet every morning and it only takes us 40 min leaving at around 8am, it used to take us 25 min from our Forest Hills home. Everything else we need is close or within walking distance. I do much less driving now than I used to. Certainly it's not a good fit for everyone but if you're looking for Westhaven like amenities there really isn't anything comparable. Good luck with your move!!!

Old 06-26-2014, 05:23 AM

2,122 posts, read 1,992,703 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by septimus View Post
I think this isn't necessarily true. There are a lot of couples that wait to have kids, have built up a a career and funds that are living in WH. You won't find a lot of 25 year olds with kids but you will find a lot of 35 year olds with 2 year olds in Westhaven.

The elementary school in Westhaven looks like it will have 7 kindergarten classes. All those kids are coming from Westhaven, Franklin Green, and Willow Springs with the majority living in Westhaven.
This is precisely the "planned parenting" approach my wife and I are taking. While not necessarily WH bound, we are trying to remain career oriented and have a stable financial foundation when we have kids. We are 25 now and want kids around 30. Although I'm not sure we will have enough for a 600k house (depends how well Nashville decides to pay us ) Or if we start out in a cheaper home and trade up. Right now we are in the 350 zone

Old 08-29-2014, 11:24 AM

138 posts, read 558,582 times
don't know if this helps but I was just in TN looking for homes in brentwood and our friend recommended to "look" at Westhaven.. Had no interest but just appeased her.. WELL OMG I was amazed.. we are Now thinking of moving there .. we are taking our kids (10 and 13) to see it in September.

It is seriously like being on Vacation. How nice is that?

Old 09-04-2014, 10:50 AM

3,671 posts, read 6,072,682 times
Default Westhaven Porches . . .

Just read an article in the Tennessean about the developer of Westhaven requesting that the new firehouse have a PORCH on it. They want the City of Franklin to spring the $18,000 for the porch since they donated the land. I guess it would be fun to wave at the firemen sitting on said porch in the summer!

Franklin kicks Westhaven fire station porch to the curb

Also read that the Westhaven golf course lost ALL its grass this year in the bad winter and they are spending a huge amount to have Zoysia (sp?) planted. I don't feel so badly about my postage stamp front yard with MY dead grass . . . ("Brown Thatch" disease, apparently. Who knew it was so hard to grow GRASS??)

Old 09-04-2014, 10:54 AM

3,798 posts, read 7,417,695 times
hashtag WilliamsonCountyProblems

To borrow a bit from Jimmy Fallon.

Old 09-04-2014, 11:09 AM

50,000 posts, read 48,209,279 times
It sounds like Franklin officials have learned to reel it in a bit after the teasing they got for building Station 6 in McKays Mill to look like an Ivy League building:

City of Franklin, TN : Station 6

The weather has been a BIG problem for grass this year. The soccer and football fields in Brentwood parks have taken a beating, and the parents and coaches let the parks dept. have it, as if they control the weather.

I can't imagine what golf course groundskeepers have been going through.

Old 09-04-2014, 11:45 AM

3,671 posts, read 6,072,682 times
Oh wow! No wonder Westhaven felt they could at least ask . . . that does NOT look like a firestation. It looks like a one room schoolhouse in Germany, or something. It DOES seem to have a little porch??? There is a firehouse near the Publix in Fieldstone Farms. It's a MANLY firehouse! Like it should be! (NOT that women should not be firemen . . but it's solid, brick, fire house ish looking!)
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Tennessee > Nashville