Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Tennessee > Nashville
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-19-2019, 09:40 AM

8 posts, read 11,893 times

Advertisements

Hi,
My husband is getting transferred to the Nashville area. He will be in sales and will have the middle of the state. We keep hearing that Williamson County schools are the best in the state. Is that right?
Now, how do I know which one to pick? We will be headed down in about a week to look at houses. I'd like to zero in on a good High School for my 9th and 11th grader. The area of Franklin seems nice but, there are so many schools near there. Fred J Page, Franklin, Centennial, Ravenwood, Independence? Any suggestions?
My daughter plays volleyball- I found a nice club, Alliance Volleyball Club and they are HQ in Franklin so, that's nice. We currently drive 45 mins for a good club team.
We currently live in a sprawling suburb of Philadelphia. We live in South Jersey with a lot of farms nearby. The grocery store is about 10 mins away, the mall is about 15-20 mins away and Target is about 10 mins away. Costco, Whole Foods and Trader Joes are all about 45 mins away. Would love to be closer to that stuff. My husband and I are into road biking. We have a local bike shop that hosts rides several times a week and we enjoy riding on the country roads. So, an active community would be nice for us.
But, again the High Schools are the biggest concern right now.

Thanks,
Breigh
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-19-2019, 10:33 AM

125 posts, read 149,384 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mommybreezy View Post
Hi,
We keep hearing that Williamson County schools are the best in the state. Is that right?
I would say the northern Williamson County schools are the some of the best in state in theFranklin/Brentwood/Nolensville area. Fairview/Spring Hill are about average. Certainly a large difference between Fairview High and Brentwood High, which are both Williamson County schools.

Old 03-19-2019, 10:34 AM

1,584 posts, read 2,085,455 times
Page High School is zoned in the more "rural" areas although that's not 100 percent true. They're all fine but if you want to be closer to those things you mentioned then you'd probably want to be zoned for Ravenwood or Centennial. I would prefer Ravenwood personally. That being said there's nothing wrong with Franklin High I'm just not as sure where their zoning boundaries are. Then of course there's Brentwood...

Old 03-19-2019, 10:50 AM

13,355 posts, read 39,974,327 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tomandjerry45 View Post
I would say the northern Williamson County schools are the some of the best in state in theFranklin/Brentwood/Nolensville area. Fairview/Spring Hill are about average. Certainly a large difference between Fairview High and Brentwood High, which are both Williamson County schools.
Spring Hill High School is in Maury County and, you're right, is only about average. The Williamson County side of Spring Hill is serviced by Summit High School which is more highly regarded.

IMPORTANT READING:
Terms of Service

---
its - possession
it's - contraction of it is
your - possession
you're - contraction of you are
their - possession
they're - contraction of they are
there - referring to a place
loose - opposite of tight
lose - opposite of win
who's - contraction of who is
whose - possession
alot - NOT A WORD

Old 03-19-2019, 11:09 AM

7,457 posts, read 4,690,784 times
Quote:
Hi,
My husband is getting transferred to the Nashville area. He will be in sales and will have the middle of the state. We keep hearing that Williamson County schools are the best in the state. Is that right?
It depends how you define "best in the state".

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tomandjerry45 View Post
"Some" of the best in the state is correct. That is because the best (Top 10) in the state are certain private schools and academic magnet public schools.

Here are the "Top Ten in Tenn" for 2019 for High School, 4 of which are in Davidson.

Source: Niche.com

1) University School of Nashville (private, middle TN) Davidson
2) Hume Fogg Academic Magnet School (public, middle TN) Davidson
3) Saint Mary's Episcopal School (private all-girls, west TN)
4) Lausanne Collegiate School (private, west TN)
5) Memphis University School (private, west TN)
6) McCallie School (private, middle TN) Chattanooga
7) Central Magnet School (public, middle TN)
8) Montgomery Bell Academy (private, middle TN) Davidson
9) Harpeth Hall School (private, middle TN) Davidson
10) Webb School of Knoxville (private, east TN)

I would guess the pattern is the same for elementary and middle school where Private and Academic Magnet Public are the best in the State.

Last edited by Yippeekayay; 03-19-2019 at 11:25 AM..

Old 03-19-2019, 01:50 PM

4,347 posts, read 4,723,343 times
What is your housing budget?

Bikes shops:
MOAB in Franklin
RB's Cyclery near the Brentwood/Franklin border

Old 03-19-2019, 04:42 PM

1,584 posts, read 2,085,455 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Yippeekayay View Post
It depends how you define "best in the state".

"Some" of the best in the state is correct. That is because the best (Top 10) in the state are certain private schools and academic magnet public schools.

Here are the "Top Ten in Tenn" for 2019 for High School, 4 of which are in Davidson.

Source: Niche.com

1) University School of Nashville (private, middle TN) Davidson
2) Hume Fogg Academic Magnet School (public, middle TN) Davidson
3) Saint Mary's Episcopal School (private all-girls, west TN)
4) Lausanne Collegiate School (private, west TN)
5) Memphis University School (private, west TN)
6) McCallie School (private, middle TN) Chattanooga
7) Central Magnet School (public, middle TN)
8) Montgomery Bell Academy (private, middle TN) Davidson
9) Harpeth Hall School (private, middle TN) Davidson
10) Webb School of Knoxville (private, east TN)

I would guess the pattern is the same for elementary and middle school where Private and Academic Magnet Public are the best in the State.
I'm guessing the assumption was just the basic public schools

Old 03-19-2019, 08:22 PM

Thank you for the responses.
Yes, looking at Public High Schools
And good to know about being further north. That sounds about right considering north is closer to Brentwood and Nashville.
Housing budget $550-600K We would like to have a 5th bedroom or at least a flex space/finished basement for out of town guests. Nashville is far from our families and we plan to have them visit but, want them to have comfortable space to stay with us. We don't need a big yard but, don't really want to be on top of our neighbors.
It also looks like the good volleyball clubs are in Franklin. So, ideally we'd like to be near there.
So, would you say Ravenwood and Centennial would be ideal choices?

Old 03-19-2019, 08:24 PM

And thanks I'll check out those 2 bike shops. MOAB and RB's.

Old 03-20-2019, 09:57 AM

125 posts, read 149,384 times
Quote:
Thank you for the responses.
Yes, looking at Public High Schools
And good to know about being further north. That sounds about right considering north is closer to Brentwood and Nashville.
Housing budget $550-600K We would like to have a 5th bedroom or at least a flex space/finished basement for out of town guests. Nashville is far from our families and we plan to have them visit but, want them to have comfortable space to stay with us. We don't need a big yard but, don't really want to be on top of our neighbors.
It also looks like the good volleyball clubs are in Franklin. So, ideally we'd like to be near there.
So, would you say Ravenwood and Centennial would be ideal choices?

100% Ravenwood

ACT Comparison:
Centennial- 23.1
Ravenwood- 26.6
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Tennessee > Nashville