Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Tennessee > Nashville
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 06-26-2013, 03:01 PM

80 posts, read 179,333 times

Advertisements

Hello All -

I've been lurking around here for a few years now - my husband and I are slowly planning our escape from Southern California back to Tennessee where he is from. I've always gotten helpful advice and am hoping someone can help me again...

Can anyone comment on special education at the kindergarten level in Williamson County? My son currently has an IEP and qualifies for speech and behavior services here in CA. For kindergarten the tentative plan is to enroll him in a "transitional" kindergarten program here in CA where they spread kindergarten out over 2 years. (for kids like my son who need more time to adjust and others who just have late birthdays). Is there anything comparable in the Williamson County Schools? (I've read that parents will "redshirt" their kindergarteners but I don't think postponing would address his issues.)

Also, does WCS offer any kindergarten special day classes (SDC) or are all children mainstreamed into general education classrooms (and then likely "pulled out" for any special education services)?

I'm familiar with the law regarding having to provide "comparable services" (my husband and I are both attorneys) if one moves to a new state with a child with an IEP but am really trying to find out what sort of programs are actually available.

Are there other districts we should consider? Franklin Special School District? Hendersonville area? We're just really concerned about his having a good start in school and want to move somewhere where he'll get what he needs for kindergarten...

Thanks!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-26-2013, 08:39 PM

2,428 posts, read 5,547,052 times
The cut off for K is moving back slowly to July (currently Sept 30.).

Franklin Special was better for us (my son's pre-school was in FSSD so we got services through them vs. WCS. FSSD's offering was much better for my son and our family-I work outside the home and WCS wanted me to drive him across town for therapy once a week at 11am, FSSD sent a therapist to his preschool twice a week).

The transition to public school was in WCS was good and he started services as soon as he started. He is integrated into the classroom. Every school handles things differently but ours clusters the IEP kids so that there is an aide for most of the day along with the teacher. The other classes only had 1 teacher and 20 kids. We had an aide and a teacher. The aide helped keep my son on track and worked with him or watched the class do their work while the teacher worked 1:1. My son got pulled out for speech and OT services.

Old 06-26-2013, 11:49 PM

80 posts, read 179,333 times
Thanks Septimus - Do you think FSSD would be better for kindergarten or just preschool?

Do you know if they allow parents of students with IEPs to attend school out of their assigned area? Wondering if we could ask to have him placed at a particular school if we preferred its method of grouping the kids with IEPs.

Right now we're looking all over the WCS area but some of the homes we've looked at are zoned for Edmondson, Lipscomb, Crockett and Kenrose. Oh and then some in Franklin but I can't recall the names - Hunters Bend or Franklin Elementary maybe. Do you know anything about the set-up at those schools? (in regards to how they group IEP students).

Thanks for the info!

Old 06-27-2013, 04:36 AM

2,428 posts, read 5,547,052 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by HastingsJD View Post
Thanks Septimus - Do you think FSSD would be better for kindergarten or just preschool?

Do you know if they allow parents of students with IEPs to attend school out of their assigned area? Wondering if we could ask to have him placed at a particular school if we preferred its method of grouping the kids with IEPs.

Right now we're looking all over the WCS area but some of the homes we've looked at are zoned for Edmondson, Lipscomb, Crockett and Kenrose. Oh and then some in Franklin but I can't recall the names - Hunters Bend or Franklin Elementary maybe. Do you know anything about the set-up at those schools? (in regards to how they group IEP students).

Thanks for the info!
I think the schools around here are pretty open to discussing their school, etc if you call the front office. I know my school regularly has people who are thinking about moving to our 'hood touring the school.

I think generally FSSD has a better reputation for SpEd. It is much smaller and probably less hassle. While I wasn't happy with the preschool services offered by WCS, I did get everything I asked for in my both of my kids IEPs this year which left me wondering if I didn't ask for enough :-).

WCS is pretty strict on keeping kids in zoned schools so you'll need to buy in the zone of which ever school you like best.

You also need to ask around. While I've been happy, other parents aren't happy and I can say the same for other schools as well. Depending on who you talk to it is a mixed bag.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Tennessee > Nashville