Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Tennessee > Nashville
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 07-02-2013, 12:48 PM

3 posts, read 4,419 times

Advertisements

I am planning on moving my family (My wife and 20 month old son) to Nashville in the next 6 months. I already have a job, just being transferred to our corporate office. I have been renting the last 5 years and I am seriously considering buying my first home just not sure where. Few more years my son will start school so the school district is highly important to me. I understand Williamson County has the best schools in the state, but the area is highly out of my price range. I am thinking 200,000 or less. I have read good things on Sumner and Wilson County school districts and the price of homes looks reasonable. The commute to downtown (Where I will be working) only looks about 20 minutes or so in good traffic. What are good areas to live in Sumner and Wilson County? Are there any other good school districts anyone would recommend? I apreciate any advice, thanks.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-02-2013, 12:59 PM

3,760 posts, read 7,091,879 times
I don't think Williamson County is totally out of your price range although you'll get more house for your dollar in a different county.

Best real estate website to look for homes in Middle TN is realtracs.com.

Here are some houses in your price range in Spring Hill which is about 20 minutes south of Franklin, still in Williamson County:

RealTracs Real Estate Mid-South Search Results

There was a house for sale behind me (in Fieldstone Farms) for $215,000. 3 bedroom, maybe 1400 sq ft, small yard, great schools. So it might be not as much of a stretch as you think. If you want me to send you the house info (they took it off the market but it might still be for sale - it was for sale by owner) PM me. There's also a house here (foreclosure) for $199,000.

I'm sure you'll get some other options. I just wanted you to know that there are cheaper decent homes in Williamson. I know because I live in one!

Old 07-02-2013, 12:59 PM

914 posts, read 1,984,280 times
My Juliet would have several options in your price range. It's probably the closest suburb that would be in that range.

Another option would be to live in Nashville. There are several options in nashvile that would put you in a good elementary district (better than most f the suburban schools even). That way you would save on theommute, and for the foreseeable future it's the better investment.

Old 07-02-2013, 02:15 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by CountryGirl2b= View Post
I don't think Williamson County is totally out of your price range although you'll get more house for your dollar in a different county.

Best real estate website to look for homes in Middle TN is realtracs.com.

Here are some houses in your price range in Spring Hill which is about 20 minutes south of Franklin, still in Williamson County:

RealTracs Real Estate Mid-South Search Results

There was a house for sale behind me (in Fieldstone Farms) for $215,000. 3 bedroom, maybe 1400 sq ft, small yard, great schools. So it might be not as much of a stretch as you think. If you want me to send you the house info (they took it off the market but it might still be for sale - it was for sale by owner) PM me. There's also a house here (foreclosure) for $199,000.

I'm sure you'll get some other options. I just wanted you to know that there are cheaper decent homes in Williamson. I know because I live in one!

I appreciate the response. Spring Hill looks very nice. It may be a bit out of my desired commute range. From Spring to work would be about 35 miles one way according to Google Maps. I'm hoping to keep it that commute to around 20 or less. If you don't mind I will take a look at the house if you have the information handy. I'm still early in the stages, have not even started researching lenders or anything at the moment.

Old 07-02-2013, 03:38 PM

3,760 posts, read 7,091,879 times
The two houses I mentioned are in Franklin and I just sent you the links. I found Spring Hill a bit far, too, BUT more house for your dollar.

However, real estate is location, location, location and it's the truth!

Living in Nashville might be an option, too, as HeyHey mentioned but I am personally unfamiliar with the school districts. A subdivision (from the 60's I think?) called Crieve Hall has some cool houses and big shady yards . . you can look it up on realtracs. Davidson County, put Crieve Hall in the subdivision option.

Last edited by CountryGirl2b=; 07-02-2013 at 03:48 PM..

Old 07-03-2013, 11:43 AM

593 posts, read 1,356,117 times
For $200k or under, Sumner and Wilson is where I'd start looking, although in the nicer/closer-to-Nashville areas of each county (Hendersonville/Goodlettsville and Mt. Juliet), there may not be a ton of options at that price if you're looking for any "extras" (really big yard or a fourth bedroom etc.). But if you're looking for a nice 3-BR in a kid-friendly neighborhood, you should be able to find one without great difficulty.

At the risk of over-generalizing, in Sumner County, most anything in the high school zones of Beech, Hendersonville and Station Camp will provide a good school experience all the way through K-12. In Wilson, ditto for Mt. Juliet and Wilson Central. That's not to say I know of any truly bad school zones in either county, it's just that those are the ones most often mentioned as desirable.

There are some parts of Rutherford County that may fit your bill also (thinking Smyrna/Blackman areas) but the commute to downtown would be worse if you have to deal with I-24.

Old 07-29-2013, 06:46 PM

Default Change of Plans

Hey everyone, I appreciate the responses and advice. My wife and I have a change of plans though. We will be having another baby come March so we have decided to postpone purchasing a home until the baby arrives. With that said we are going to rent a home for the first year of being in Nashville. My move date is Oct 25 and I plan on making a trip up there late September early October to find a place. It seems to rent a 3 bedroom 2 bathroom house it will be on average 1400\month which is fine. What would you guys suggest as counties\neighborhood? I am leaning more towards Mt. Juliet or Hendersonville, but I have noticed rental homes are hard to come in Mt. Juliet. I also know I am basically to going to have to pick a house from whats available when I head down there in Sept/Oct for me house hunting trip. Any advice you guys have on renting I would appreciate it. Thanks again. Getting excited about the move. Its hot over here in Tucson!

Justin
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Tennessee > Nashville