Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Tennessee > Nashville
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 07-09-2013, 12:18 PM

3,760 posts, read 7,090,694 times

Advertisements

Article in today's Tennessean . . . .

http://www.tennessean.com/article/20...ravel-Leisure-

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-09-2013, 12:26 PM

6,662 posts, read 13,333,679 times
T+L list. I wouldn't put much into that.

Sure, there are definitely some snobby people here...but I don't think that would come close to an honest description of the area alone.

Perhaps snobby compared to other cities in Tennessee. That's about it.

Old 07-09-2013, 12:40 PM

6,295 posts, read 23,213,753 times
It's an article that means almost nothing, like most of these types of things (whether complimentary or negative). Look at the metrics they used. Oh, gee, we have a symphony, we must be pretty darn snobby. These things are generally written by a staff writer in a couple of weeks, it's not like they conduct a scientific research project.

I think the whole "friendliest city" thing has been played too often anyway. Yes, it's great that Nashville is friendly and polite for the the most part, but too much is made of it (every six months anther article will come out with a new ranking which will then be duly reported in the local media). I have serious doubts about Nashville being the friendliest city anyway.

Old 07-09-2013, 01:18 PM

263 posts, read 614,307 times
Nashville is just a place to live -- like any other. It's neither great nor horrible. It's neither friendly nor snobby. A city can't be any of those things. Individuals can. And I've met great people here, horrible people here, friendly people here, and snobby people here. We can personify cities all we want, but it still comes down to individual personalities and relationships. Thus, these lists (regardless of how 'good' or 'bad' they area) are completely meaningless to me.

That's my take at least.

Old 07-10-2013, 03:03 AM

369 posts, read 942,571 times
hipsters!

Old 07-10-2013, 07:01 AM

3,828 posts, read 8,472,204 times
Quote:
To determine which city has “the biggest nose in the air,” the magazine factored in whether a city was a high-end shopping haven and if it had highbrow cultural offerings like classical music and theater. It also considered tech-savviness, the abundance of artsy coffeehouses, and whether or not a non-recycling visitor may get dirty looks from the eco-conscious populous.

Working against Nashville in the snobby quotient was the celebrity-luring foodie culture. “At sushi bar Virago, in the Gulch, you might see famous residents like Nicole Kidman or Sheryl Crow,” the magazine states, adding, “Nashville also extends the red carpet to compulsive email-checkers: it won the survey for its excellent wireless coverage.”
I guess we should all yearn for the good old early 2000s when all Nashville residents were barefoot, wore our tattered Hee-Haw overalls, and whittled new teeth out of tornado-felled trees on the front porch of our mobile homes. Now we got this here internet everywhere, them food trucks, and raw fish rolls.

Old 07-10-2013, 07:03 AM

7,108 posts, read 8,970,936 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by the_commuter View Post
Nashville is just a place to live -- like any other. It's neither great nor horrible. It's neither friendly nor snobby. A city can't be any of those things. Individuals can. And I've met great people here, horrible people here, friendly people here, and snobby people here. We can personify cities all we want, but it still comes down to individual personalities and relationships. Thus, these lists (regardless of how 'good' or 'bad' they area) are completely meaningless to me.

That's my take at least.
I couldn't have said it better. I've never thought of Nashville as snobby.

Old 07-10-2013, 11:19 AM

1,285 posts, read 2,357,286 times
When we travel to Nashville we find the people to be friendly. It's a positive trait for the city.

Old 07-10-2013, 12:19 PM

3,828 posts, read 8,472,204 times
I definitely think our reputation has always been and will continue to be (for the forseable future) that we are a friendly city.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Tennessee > Nashville